+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Why Jason Pierre-Paul's contract shouldn't impact Giants' draft strategy

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "The Giants always knew they'd have defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul for next season. But until Friday's agreement on a four-year contract, they didn't know if Pierre-Paul would be a piece of the long-term foundation.

The Giants applied the franchise tag to Pierre-Paul on Feb. 27. The sides had until July 15 to come to a long-term agreement or Pierre-Paul would have played the 2017 season on the franchise tag and then become a free agent.

The Giants could have gone into the late-April draft with uncertainty about Pierre-Paul's future if negotiations dragged. That may have made drafting an edge rusher, who could have been looked at as Pierre-Paul's replacement, more of a priority.

But even with Pierre-Paul and fellow defensive end Olivier Vernon locked up for the next four years, the Giants' draft approach shouldn't change. They should still pull the trigger if an elite pass rusher is available when they make the 23rd pick in the first round." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Jason Pierre-Paul's $62M deal from Giants completes remarkable career turnaround after fireworks acc

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.3001663

Excerpt: "Jason Pierre-Paul did the impossible by playing his way back to big money. Jerry Reese played the negotiations smartly to keep JPP in Big Blue.

Pierre-Paul, seven-and-a-half fingers and all, completed a remarkable career rebound on Friday after his 2015 Fourth of July fireworks accident by re-signing with the Giants on a four-year, $62 million contract with a whopping $40 million guaranteed.

“We’re going to create history,” Pierre-Paul said confidently of the Giants’ future in a team release.

But just as importantly, Reese — while keying on improving the offense in free agency — never lost sight of JPP as the Giants’ 2017 offseason priority.

“We’re happy to get a long-term deal with Jason,” Reese said in the Giants’ release. “Not only is he one of our best players; he is one of our leaders.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

If they draft a DE in the 1st I'll flip, really shouldn't be going defense at all with that pick

Is it still 2015?

Agree with this 100%. JPP and Vernon are both elite players, but playing 95% of the snaps will eventually wear them down. We saw it happen last year. I don't care if it's first round, or later, I want us to get another DE to create more of a rotation.
    2017 FA Targets:

Considering the draft, and the overall depth available at many positions of need for us, here's my "wish list" for FA.

Resign:
    *JPP – DE – NYG*
    *Jonathan Hankins - DT - NYG*
    *Marshall Newhouse - OG/OT - NYG*
    *Robbie Gould - K - NYG*

Targets:
    WR - Brandon Marshall, Kamar Aiken or Kendall Wright
    OG - Kevin Zeitler, Larry Warford
    OT - Kevin Beachum
    RB - Tim Hightower, Jamaal Charles

Bench Player
    Hankins has yet to decide what he wants to do. But I would say that adding depth at the Oline is more important at the moment. If a stud DL is there at 23, then by all means take him. however, if it is a choice between a good DL or a good OL. They should go with the OL. With only a few years on Eli left, they should invest as much as they can in protecting him.

"You can never have too many pass rushers".

Reese said a month ago. He likes to go into the draft with the roster set and just add as many pieces as he can. Having two DEs locked up won't change anything. We had two CBs locked up last year and took apple. Besides if we draft the next Michael Strahan then we have 3 stud DEs until 2021 and can give the new DE a big contract since both Vernon and JPP will be up (JPP will be 32 at that time).
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

The statements in this post reflect the opinions of the poster and don't not reflect the opinion of the the New York Giants, the State of New York or any New York Giants Personnel. These are only opinions and unless specifically called "facts" they should be treated as the opinions of the poster.

Odighizuwa is going into season 3. He has not shown much for one reason or another. I, for one, thought he could be a good 3rd DE. And to be honest, when JPP was out last season, Okwara did a decent job.

Quote Originally Posted by TNGMen871 View Post
    Odighizuwa is going into season 3. He has not shown much for one reason or another. I, for one, thought he could be a good 3rd DE. And to be honest, when JPP was out last season, Okwara did a decent job.
    I was high on Oh-diggy but he seems to have devolved into not very much......at all. He is more myth than anything else.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliordie View Post
    If they draft a DE in the 1st I'll flip, really shouldn't be going defense at all with that pick

Is it still 2015?
    Disagree. IF an elite pass rusher is there, or one they think is, they should pick him. What was that saying good old EA used to say?

By the way when we drafted JPP we still had Tuck and Osi.
    1-OT Ryan Ramczyk
    2-TE Adam Shaheen
    3-DE Demarcus Walker
    4-RB Samaje Perine
    5-QB Joshua Dobbs
    6-CB Marquez White
    7-LB Ben Boulware

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Disagree. IF an elite pass rusher is there, or one they think is, they should pick him. What was that saying good old EA used to say?

By the way when we drafted JPP we still had Tuck and Osi.
    I'm aware.. lol

But we weren't in red alert win now or never mode, with a good amount of holes in the starting lineup to boot, that 1st round pick needs to give us a lot of immediate snaps, we can't be spending it on a rotational player

Plus at least then there was aging at the position with Osi, we have 2 relatively young DEs locked up long term, itd be bad resource allocation to lock up 30 mil a year in DEs for the next 4 years and spend a 1st round pick on a DE all in the matter of 2 years