+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    If we draft a DE that looks like a beast in pre-season......Do we try and trade one of the higher priced de's in about 2 years? That would be ideal...Trade away one of those contracts in 2 years to the Browns or something..

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee718 View Post
    If we draft a DE that looks like a beast in pre-season......Do we try and trade one of the higher priced de's
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Eliordie View Post
    I'm aware.. lol

But we weren't in red alert win now or never mode, with a good amount of holes in the starting lineup to boot, that 1st round pick needs to give us a lot of immediate snaps, we can't be spending it on a rotational player

Plus at least then there was aging at the position with Osi, we have 2 relatively young DEs locked up long term, itd be bad resource allocation to lock up 30 mil a year in DEs for the next 4 years and spend a 1st round pick on a DE all in the matter of 2 years
    In theory, I'd say there is pretty much unanimous agreement with your view here among the Giants organization personnel and fans: currently, the highest priority for improving the team is the OL.

Unfortunately, and what seems to be consistently ignored or dismissed by many in countless threads on the subject this off season, REALITY often gets in the way of theoretical objectives. And the reality is that this draft class is simply not strong enough to warrant more than 2-3 OL picks--total-- in the 1st round. And even those 2-3 don't receive unanimous 1st round status opinion from all draft experts. That's a reality repeated by every single draft pundit and expert that I've seen and heard the past 3 months.

Which means that unless 1 of the 2-3 OLinemen falls to #23 overall, and the Giants rate him as a 1st rd pick, there will not be an OLineman worthy of being picked in the 1st round over a possible DE, DT, or even a CB, depending on availability, positions which appear to be deeper in talent for 1st round consideration. The Giants would be absolutely right to select whoever is in their collective opinion the best available player at #23.

Further, a "project" OLineman could very well be selected by the Giants in a later round, along with a TE, LB, and RB. Just not in the 1st round (if OJ Howard is available at 23--EXTREMELY unlikely--they'd probably pick him, of course).

As to your last point, JPP is EXACTLY at the same point in his career as OSI was when JPP was drafted--each coming off their respective 7th season in the league. So for you to say drafting a high impact DE in the first round this year will be a "bad resource allocation" as opposed to 2010 when we drafted JPP at #15 overall, is not really true.

We have to draft what is the best player in the judgement of the collective minds of the Giants' decision makers, and I'm sure that's what they'll do.

with a good amount of holes in the starting lineup to boot, that 1st round pick needs to give us a lot of immediate snaps, we can't be spending it on a rotational player.
    Just wondering what position you think is a lock to draft in the first round that would start from day one and not rotate? IMO only a few options fit that bill. LB (maybe), OL (maybe) and DT if Hank doesn't come back. That is pretty much it. I don't think any of those are big enough of a need that I would never draft a DE and force myself to pick one of those positions. All depends who falls to us.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

The statements in this post reflect the opinions of the poster and don't not reflect the opinion of the the New York Giants, the State of New York or any New York Giants Personnel. These are only opinions and unless specifically called "facts" they should be treated as the opinions of the poster.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishMike357 View Post
    Just wondering what position you think is a lock to draft in the first round that would start from day one and not rotate? IMO only a few options fit that bill. LB (maybe), OL (maybe) and DT if Hank doesn't come back. That is pretty much it. I don't think any of those are big enough of a need that I would never draft a DE and force myself to pick one of those positions. All depends who falls to us.
    OT, DT, and TE (mainly if OJ Howard magically falls)

WLB too if we can't resign Robinson which I'd really prefer, but there are even more things than these I'd take before a DE in the 1st

I'd still be ok drafting Garrett or Solomon Thomas lol. Taco is more likely in our range and I would be ok with him too.
    1 - WR/TE Evan Engram
    2 - DT Dalvin Tomlinson
    3 - QB Davis Webb
    4 - RB Wayne Gallman
    5 - DE Avery Moss
    6 - OT Adam Bisnowady

BPA.

Veteran
    If they draft a DE in the 1st I'll flip, really shouldn't be going defense at all with that pick

Is it still 2015?
    yeah, the last time JR did that he drafted a third DE in JPP who ended up helping us win a SB in his sophomore year, actually, he was the driving force on defence with his 16 sacks.

But like most fans, im sure you think an average off ball LB or RT would have made more of a difference, of that ive certain.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by CGYgiant View Post
    yeah, the last time JR did that he drafted a third DE in JPP who ended up helping us win a SB in his sophomore year, actually, he was the driving force on defence with his 16 sacks.

But like most fans, im sure you think an average off ball LB or RT would have made more of a difference, of that ive certain.
    Don't want either, I want a LT or OJ Howard if he somehow falls

Like most fans I see you subscribe to the theory that if it happened before it will surely happen again.. genius! You'd make a fantastic GM

Veteran
    Don't want either, I want a LT or OJ Howard if he somehow falls

Like most fans I see you subscribe to the theory that if it happened before it will surely happen again.. genius! You'd make a fantastic GM
    Thats fine. Id certainly make a better one than you. You really dont have talking points, just blurt out a lot of BS around here. I guess every board needs 'that' guy.

So tell me, which LT in this draft do you think will make an impact year 1? or heck, before Elis contract is up. Id love to hear your analysis. Im sure your analysis of these prospects is top notch.

OJ Howard? sure. You think a TE has more positional value than a pass rusher?

tell me more Mr GM. Go on