+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Signing a third QB to get ready for camp is hardly sending anyone a message. You didn't really think Johnson was the long term back-up, did you? They'll probaby add another camp body QB before they're done.

Not signing so-so OL for more than they're worth in FA is hardly a surprise either. Fulker is a good signing, and they will probably go after a lineman in the draft. That will represent a significant upgrade in the OL, especially if they can figure out what to do with Flowers. Hart is young and improving. Richburg had an off year; but you can expect him to come back better.

Coach saying that Eli has to play better was a poke at Eli; but what's he supposed to say, a low 80's QB rating is fine? Not likely.

If the Giants pick a QB early in the draft, that's news; but so far it's pretty much typical off season shuffling of personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by NorwoodBlue View Post
    Fulker is a good signing
    Why exactly? He was a total disappointment in San Diego, who had the worst line in the league last year. What makes him a "good" signing exactly?

He is cheap for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
    But anyone that legitimately thinks our QB is the main or even big problem of the team is either a hater or a fantasy nerd that only looks at numbers and stat boxes.
    Ok, well that includes the head coach, who just got done openly criticizing Eli's level of play and pushing back hard on assertions that it was the line's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brown View Post
    Ok, well that includes the head coach, who just got done openly criticizing Eli's level of play and pushing back hard on assertions that it was the line's fault.
    If the head coach really believes that the OL is fine and it's all Eli's fault he should be fired now.
    Engage brain before speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brown View Post
    Why exactly? He was a total disappointment in San Diego, who had the worst line in the league last year. What makes him a "good" signing exactly?

He is cheap for a reason.
    You answered your own question. Fulker was a piece in a terrible unit. When the line breaks down, even the better OL suffer for it. That does not mean that same lineman can't be good, or even exceptional, when playing beside better line mates. Fulker was cheap, and at worst he's depth for the line. At best, he may provide a better push for the run game than we've been getting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch842 View Post
    I think the lack of major activity in regards to OL was more to do with supply/demand. Very few really good FA's available, and a lot of teams throwing stupid $$s at them. We got priced out.
    well said! Plenty of average to slightly above average O-linemen got paid all-pro type money.

Quote Originally Posted by speedman View Post
    If the head coach really believes that the OL is fine and it's all Eli's fault he should be fired now.
    Fire a HC that just went 11-5 in his rookie season with a team that went 6-10, 8-8, and 6-10 in its previous three seasons. Hmmm. Sounds like a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by NorwoodBlue View Post
    You answered your own question. Fulker was a piece in a terrible unit. When the line breaks down, even the better OL suffer for it. That does not mean that same lineman can't be good, or even exceptional, when playing beside better line mates. Fulker was cheap, and at worst he's depth for the line. At best, he may provide a better push for the run game than we've been getting.
    Fluker was one of the reasons that line was bad. He wasn't some gifted player who was dragged down by bad teammates.

I'm not saying he's not an upgrade to Newhouse. I am just saying we should not expect much from him. He'll be average.

I could agree with some of DB's points a lot of it is not the whole story.

The HC criticized Eli and gave a pass the O-line.

Even though Mac stated that it falls on the QB. (It always does the team wins and loses on his shoulders. It is a QB driven league) Most football fans understand if the guys around the QB are not preforming the QB's job becomes more cumbersome. I am not giving Eli a pass I am a huge fan of Eli but I am not blind.

That is not the whole story.

Mac can say what he wants about his line. The truth is 3.5 yards an attempt. 29th in the league that is not getting it done. If the O can't rush the ball , any number of the front 7 can pass rush at will. For the O-line that is hard to zone cover for blocking schemes probably some of the pass protection problems. Even with an average pass protecting line, being able to run the ball consistently will help the pass blocking. This is why having a running game that keeps the D on its heals is so important.

Signing 2 back up Qb's does not suggest the Giants are more concerned about the position. It doesn't suggest anything . All it sate is the Giants are moving on from Nassib.

Jerry was a good guard last year. He can Pull. It was a good signing. Fluker the jury is out on him. Can he come in and do better,that will not be known until he plays a good amount of snaps, This were I have reservations, he left one zone blocking system were he was not great into another . But hopefully he can come in and surprise all of his critics. Other player have done poorly in one system and thrived on a different team.

DB's accusation that the FO has criticized Eli for the offensive woes. I can not find any statement from The Giants management team the supports that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by TEM View Post
    DB's accusation that the FO has criticized Eli for the offensive woes. I can not find any statement from The Giants management team the supports that comment.
    Not directly. I never said that. Only McAdoo criticized Eli directly as far as I am aware. I just mean that the FO hasn't done anything significant to improve the O line, which suggests they don't think it's as big of a problem as everyone here does.