+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Giants wire reporting giants may have interest in Joe Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    What player is in THIS draft and that will likely go in the 2nd round that would improve this team--for the NEXT 2-3 YEARS-- more than a multiple time All Pro LT, arguably the best LT over the last several years, with at least 2 high production years left in him? I'm no draftnick like some here, but it has been oft repeated by the draft experts I've heard this is one of the weakest draft classes of the last several years.

This could be the ideal year for the Giants to pull off a trade like this.
    This draft class is very good for many positions of need. Tackle is the weak spot and QB is the weak spot in this draft. It is very deep at CB, RB, LB, TE and Pass rushers, with DT being pretty strong as well.

We have no idea what Joe Thomas has left in the tank and I don't think we need him to win. So I would not trade a 2nd rounder in this class for him especially with that cap hit. He was very good last year but not as good as he normally is, at some point he will start to decline.
    Last edited by IrishMike357; 03-19-2017 at 09:36 PM.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

The statements in this post reflect the opinions of the poster and don't not reflect the opinion of the the New York Giants, the State of New York or any New York Giants Personnel. These are only opinions and unless specifically called "facts" they should be treated as the opinions of the poster.

Joe Thomas I clicked on the link and a big picture of Lionel Richie is there with the line "Is it me you're looking for" Apparently Joe Thomas and Lionel are the same guy. Laughed my *** off. He could serenade the Defense

This seems fishy after spending on oline in fa between bitonio tretter and zeitler. They have a ton of picks and 56mm in cap space so why would they give up their best olineman when they put an emphasis on building a line. I think they are going to try to trade for garrapolo or draft a qb. Either way woukdnt you want to start him off with the best oline you could?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberryeli View Post
    This seems fishy after spending on oline in fa between bitonio tretter and zeitler. They have a ton of picks and 56mm in cap space so why would they give up their best olineman when they put an emphasis on building a line. I think they are going to try to trade for garrapolo or draft a qb. Either way woukdnt you want to start him off with the best oline you could?
    You could very well be right about that, then again the zeitler and bitino signings aren't a HUGE indicator to me, they have those guys locked up long term, if they're realistic they know they're not winning anytime soon and may want to trade off an aging vet for a high draft pick, like I said before if a team is in full on rebuilding mode which I would think they realize they are, draft picks are worth more to them than aging vets, and this may be their last chance to get this good a return for him

There's definitely logic in the browns wanting to trade him but obviously we don't know for sure if they do yet

Bench Player
    It looks like nobody bothered to open the link before it got taken down lol It's not a recent story. All it did was talk about how the Giants need a LT and they might have interest in him. Then it linked an article from October right before the trade deadline regarding the Giants interest and others. It was total clickbait. People caught on and that's why it got taken down.

All that said, if all it took was a 2nd rounder to get him the Giants would be insane not to do that in a heartbeat. The Giants only true glaring need is LT. The rest are needs that can be filled in the draft at positions that are deep. And acquiring a HOF one who's still playing at an elite level for a 2nd round pick is an absolute no brainer. And I'm someone who greatly values draft picks as it is. So I don't say that lightly.

The Browns are determined to bolster their O line. Can't imagine they would all of the sudden dump their LT after the free agents they signed.
    "Typical Morehead!"..................and he didn't even mean that as a compliment..

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    The Browns are determined to bolster their O line. Can't imagine they would all of the sudden dump their LT after the free agents they signed.
    Yup, this and the other thread is complete bs

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
    Yup, this and the other thread is complete bs
    It took 37 posts to come to that conclusion. It was obvious when I saw a picture of Lionel Richie it was click bait. Apparently USA today will write anything to bolster it hit counters. It was not taken down because it was an older story. It taken down was because it was fictitious.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliordie View Post
    http://giantswire.usatoday.com/2017/...veland-browns/

Take it for what it's worth, if we could clear up the cap room I think I'd be ok with giving them a 2nd at this point, so long as we still have enough money to get another need or 2 filled
    it actually says in the story that no new information on trading for Thomas he is not close to being traded it is just speculation.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishMike357 View Post
    I would not give up a 2nd rounder for Joe Thomas. This draft is deep is several positions we need. There will be some talent left in round two.
    Mike all 4 of the 1st rd OT prospects have an issue. Ramczyk 1 year player plus had a knee injury, Lamp projected as a Guard, Boles and Robinson projected as RT. Flowers is our best prospect at LT. A 2nd rounder is a 4 year commitment. Thomas could last 3 years the same as Eli. I would think it's well worth the risk. This draft is not deep at LT and how many years does it take to be good. Very few have just walked in ready to play. The future is here. Win Now !

I apparently changed my mind from page 3. But now I'm willing to trade that 2nd rd again like I was last year. I just want this O line improved and I feel we can't wait for a rookie to develop. A rookie could wind up at RT anyway, which also needs improvement.

I don't have a better idea. Get Thomas if possible move Flowers to RT. I think it strengthens both Tackle positions. Otherwise draft the best OT available and I guess we play the rookie at RT and go again with Flowers at LT.
    Last edited by That Guy Rich; 03-29-2017 at 06:52 PM.

+ Reply to Thread