+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Hankins update

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMike357 View Post
    You do know that more than a few teams pay PFF for information right?

Every since "moneyball" teams really care about those numbers.
    I don't know that for sure ... no

but I do know that they don't take any of those numbers for anything more than what they are

Quote Originally Posted by bigbluejeep8888 View Post
    Im not sure about pff but hankins sure did not pass the eye test to me. Harrison has twice as many tackles than hankins did last year. I'm not sure how hankins can say he is worth more than Harrison.
    He didn't pass my eye test either so let someone else pay up but not the Giants.
    Just didn't stand out last year.

LT - Carson - Kelley - Van Pelt

He'll sign...he has to eat soon

Quote Originally Posted by BleedingBlue123 View Post
    If he takes it -- then the concern becomes the guy is pissed (feels under-appreciated) and goes into the tank on us during the season.
    if he feels that he's worth more he should wait it out.

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    I don't know that for sure ... no

but I do know that they don't take any of those numbers for anything more than what they are
    http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/25/pro-fo...orth-analytics

As of 2015 it was 13 teams that were paying him. I didn't say they take it as gospel or that I like PFF or anything. The question asked was if NFL teams are interested in PFF metrics and the answer is yes, even if fans are not.

Quote Originally Posted by giants8493 View Post
    doesn't the moneyball guy run the browns?

not exactly a testament to effectiveness...
    He does. I never said it works lol.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

You do know that more than a few teams pay PFF for information right?

Every since "moneyball" teams really care about those numbers.
    I've got no way of knowing how much teams actually use PFF.
    I'd be inclined to think though, if at all, it would be used by the money guys involved in contracts under the GM's guidance and thats about it.
    These teams have money to employ their own staff to record playcalls, chart plays, break down and grade every game, themselves.
    Why would they trust a 3rd party when its their name on the final product on the field?
    my beer drinking team has a football problem

Quote Originally Posted by poppa smurph View Post
    I've got no way of knowing how much teams actually use PFF.
    I'd be inclined to think though, if at all, it would be used by the money guys involved in contracts under the GM's guidance and thats about it.
    These teams have money to employ their own staff to record playcalls, chart plays, break down and grade every game, themselves.
    Why would they trust a 3rd party when its their name on the final product on the field?
    I have no idea why they do it or what they use the data for. I simply answered the question of whether teams are interested in those types of metrics. Even if they collect the data themselves they are using those same metrics and thus show interest. I am not a defender of PFF and I don't really care about them or even like them, just wanted to answer that dudes question.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant303 View Post
    Hankins seems like he's a run stuffer only. I was expecting him to put up pretty decent sack numbers considering the great players around him. he can't win one on one battles. I wouldn't sign him for more than 4-5 million for 4 years 12 guaranteed.
    Hankins had more sacks than Harrison, 3-21/2 they both pushed the pocket. Oh and by the way message to PFF Hankins did have a good year and was stellar in the run defense.

I have no idea why they do it or what they use the data for. I simply answered the question of whether teams are interested in those types of metrics. Even if they collect the data themselves they are using those same metrics and thus show interest. I am not a defender of PFF and I don't really care about them or even like them, just wanted to answer that dudes question.
    It's quite a system they got at any rate.

I'm a control freak and would have to have my own numbers lol.
    my beer drinking team has a football problem

The weird thing about hankins is the three years prior, pff graded him at 79 85 and 80 which are great numbers. There is no reason to believe he cant get back there gradewise and he seemed to have a good year which makes me question the pff system. Maybe because he is doing his job effectively the other guys on the line have an easy enough time making plays before he gets there so he doesnt get the credit from their grading system he deserves.

+ Reply to Thread