+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Hankins update

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy Rich View Post
    Hankins had more sacks than Harrison, 3-21/2 they both pushed the pocket. Oh and by the way message to PFF Hankins did have a good year and was stellar in the run defense.
    you do know they play two different techniques right? We need a 3 Tech next to Harrison. Hank doesn't fit that bill. I'm fine with bringing Hank back. I just wouldn't do it for more than 5 mill.

Bench Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant303 View Post
    you do know they play two different techniques right? We need a 3 Tech next to Harrison. Hank doesn't fit that bill. I'm fine with bringing Hank back. I just wouldn't do it for more than 5 mill.
    Exactly how I've felt this entire time. And id prefer it to be on a 1 year deal if he comes back. A 3 technique would be such a better fit for our defense. Jared Odrick is coming off a few down years but is probably a better fit, position wise.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa smurph View Post
    I've got no way of knowing how much teams actually use PFF.
    I'd be inclined to think though, if at all, it would be used by the money guys involved in contracts under the GM's guidance and thats about it.
    These teams have money to employ their own staff to record playcalls, chart plays, break down and grade every game, themselves.
    Why would they trust a 3rd party when its their name on the final product on the field?
    They collect stats that teams themselves don't invest the time or labor to.

People should understand PFF is a tool, as such, it has a lot of utility in the hands of someone who wants those numbers, and can just reference it as opposed to having someone compiling stats on obscuranta whilst trying to do their actual job and break down game film of either themselves or their opponent. Also great to look at opponent numbers. lots of uses. It's a tool, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy Rich View Post
    Hankins had more sacks than Harrison, 3-21/2 they both pushed the pocket. Oh and by the way message to PFF Hankins did have a good year and was stellar in the run defense.
    Harrison is not on the field during most passing downs and is not expected to get sacks. The complaint is that Hankins didn't get enough push. I don't agree with the thought Hank can't rush the passer. A few years back he had 7 sacks, only 1.5 less than Vernon had last year. As you said Hank was really good against the run. I wouldn't pay him what he's asking though.

Quote Originally Posted by poppa smurph View Post
    It's quite a system they got at any rate.

I'm a control freak and would have to have my own numbers lol.
    Haha I am the same way.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

The statements in this post reflect the opinions of the poster and don't not reflect the opinion of the the New York Giants, the State of New York or any New York Giants Personnel. These are only opinions and unless specifically called "facts" they should be treated as the opinions of the poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Giant303 View Post
    Why? For pass rush? I'm cool with busy using a dend there for pass rush situations.

I want them to stuff the run so well that the players consider itoffensive than an offense even shows the audacity to run on them. That's how you build a defensive mentality. That's how you build an identity.

Quote Originally Posted by giants8493 View Post
    Why? For pass rush? I'm cool with using using a dend there for pass rush situations.

I want them to stuff the run so well that the players consider itoffensive than an offense even shows the audacity to run on them. That's how you build a defensive mentality. That's how you build an identity.
    I agree. Clog the middle, funnel the run outside. Now they need LBs that can shut that down and give them second level pressure on the QB.
    Thank god it's hockey season.

Veteran
    Why? For pass rush? I'm cool with using using a dend there for pass rush situations.

It's fine to want 2 run stuffers. but investing over 15 million on dt's that can't rush the passer? we could have gotten Peko for 3.75 a year to do that. and the "just bring a de" in on passing downs doesn't really apply. the giants only have 2 DE that can get after the passer. we need pressure from up the middle a 3 Tech DT would allow this to happen. it's the new nfl, every down is a passing down.

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    why wouldnt they just look at their hours an hours of game and practice film? 'Why should any pro team need of use PFF??
    I'm sure they do so for important items. But just like my business and probably most other businesses in the world, we farm out non critical work to third parties because it's cheaper than using our own resources.

Yep +1