+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are more tie games in the future?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nf...-to-more-ties/

"According to NFL.com, the competition committee is set to propose a rule at the league’s annual Spring meeting that would reduce the length of overtime. If the rule were to pass, the overtime period would be shortened from 15 minutes to 10 minutes for all regular season and preseason games.

If the rule does pass, it would be the second big change in five years. Back in March 2012, the NFL modified overtime with a rule change that guaranteed both teams a possession as long as the team that received the overtime kickoff didn’t score a touchdown on its opening drive. "

I guess someone would have to pull the stats of all the OT games in the last X amount of years and see how many ended before 10 minutes and how many that went to 10 minutes ended in a tie. Then you would have to also factor in the "hustle" factor, how many games that ended after 10 minutes would have ended sooner if the team knew it had less time to win.

My guess is most OT games end before 10 minutes and the majority of the ones that go to 10 minutes end in a tie anyway.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

The statements in this post reflect the opinions of the poster and don't not reflect the opinion of the the New York Giants, the State of New York or any New York Giants Personnel. These are only opinions and unless specifically called "facts" they should be treated as the opinions of the poster.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMike357 View Post
    I guess someone would have to pull the stats of all the OT games in the last X amount of years and see how many ended before 10 minutes and how many that went to 10 minutes ended in a tie. Then you would have to also factor in the "hustle" factor, how many games that ended after 10 minutes would have ended sooner if the team knew it had less time to win.

My guess is most OT games end before 10 minutes and the majority of the ones that go to 10 minutes end in a tie anyway.
    It was addressed in the article

"According to NFL Research, 22 of the 83 overtime games that have been played since 2012 have gone on for more than 10 minutes, which means those games would’ve presumably ended in a tie if the new rule had already been implemented. So, yes, if you love ties, this could be a good change for you."

That would be a 26% increase in ties.

Go back to sudden death, why make it so complicated . SD worked for years.
    Last edited by TEM; 03-20-2017 at 08:25 PM.

I think they should just play 7 on 7 in OT. Who cares about the integrity of the sport anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    I think they should just play 7 on 7 in OT. Who cares about the integrity of the sport anymore.
    Or maybe hold a field goal kick off. Whichever team makes the most FGs without a miss during a 5 minute period, wins. Or a Punt Pass Kick contest in a 5 minute period. Shorten the OT even further.

Veteran
    That would be fine with me. I feel this hulla ballou over tie games is way over hyped. A tie game so what, we played with ties foe 50 years and managed to figure it out. For the life of me I don't know why anyone is worked up over this.

From the same article, "The NFL is considering the change for regular-season games because the league wants teams to be on an even playing field for Thursday night games. According to NFL.com, the league feels that teams are at a “real disadvantage” when they have to play a Thursday game following a Sunday game where they played a 15-minute overtime period. "

Seems like the simple solution would be do just do away with Thursday night games and keep the traditional Thanksgiving Thursday to one game.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    From the same article, "The NFL is considering the change for regular-season games because the league wants teams to be on an even playing field for Thursday night games. According to NFL.com, the league feels that teams are at a “real disadvantage” when they have to play a Thursday game following a Sunday game where they played a 15-minute overtime period. "

Seems like the simple solution would be do just do away with Thursday night games and keep the traditional Thanksgiving Thursday to one game.
    And lose revenue?!?! Are you crazy!?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post

I thought the same thing when reading it but is all about the $$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    And lose revenue?!?! Are you crazy!?
    Revenue? They can just give put the big market teams like the Giants on primtetime for over half their games in a season if they wanted revenue. 5 primetime games a season for the Giants is not enough. Make it 7,8,9,10 games.