+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bench Player

Reading the Tea Leaves: expect GMen to bolster pass rush with first pick.

Those that follow this team closely for the last 20 years or more know it is the top position the Giants look to early and often in the draft.

Even last year our supposed top target was a guy who was believed to be able to add a unique pass rush dimension to this team in Leonard Floyd.

This team in its glory years and when they won their last 2 SuperBowls have had at least 3 prime pass rushers on this team. 2007 Osi,Strahan,Tuck- 2011 JPP,Osi,Tuck and to a lesser extent Canty and Kiwi. With only 2 true top end pass rush guys in Vernon and JPP, they played more defensive snaps than I beleive anyone in the NFL last year. Out of all the back ups, Okwara showed some promise but I wouldnt hedge all bets that he will become a consistent threat in year 2 (though we can certainly hope he does as I like his potential).

I believe We have went DL in the top 2 rounds in the draft more than any other position the last 15 years. Reese and-or Accorsi have been quoted multiple times more or less saying 'You can never have too many pass rushers' and 'We like to send our DLine in waves after the quarter back'

This draft actually has a number of interesting guys that would seem to fit the Giant recent mold of what they like in a pass rush prospect. Im not just talking the JPP type defensive end either. Giants have eyed the 'hybrid' LB/DE who can rush from the second level or line up at DE on obvious pass downs for a while now.

So in summary I think there are enough intriguing propspects between the pure DEs and hybrid pass rushers that may fit the Giant Mold who could make it to pick 23. Subsequently that player could very likely be our selection come draft night.

Veteran
    I wouldn't be surprised. Charles Harris and Haason Red**** are on the fairly short list of guys I want in the first.

Veteran
    Charles harris would be an excellent edge rusher. I question whether he will ever be a 3 down de though.

Bench Player

Pass rush guys who 'fit' Giant Mold for what they usually look for in draft (who might drop to 23)

Malik McDowell: if the supposed character issues check out, he could be a steal at 23. Was pretty much the entire Dline for Mich St. playing up and down the line and looking at times absolutely unblockable. Constantly doubled and even triple teamed and still made many plays. Technique was a little sloppy but could be due to playing all over the line. Another freak size/speed guy 6'6, 290,4.85 40, long arms ,angular, quick twitch but still stout at POA. Basically could be all what we wanted Chris Canty to be when he signed on here. Would potentially be incredible with Snacks next to him occupying double teams and freeing him up to just beat a single blocker on the way to destroying the QB.

Taco Charlton: Don't love his overall production but his angular frame and size (6'6 and pretty long arms) plus ability to bend around the edge just oozes elite NFL pass rush potential if he continues to come into his own. I trust the Giants scouting when it comes to DE's as they really seem to smell who has the right combination of projectibles. If they pick Charlton , I think this guy could be another Chandler Jones.

Jordan Willis: Slightly shorter than the ideal but still pretty good size at 6'4 and an absolute blur on the edge with 4.5 speed. One of top measurable guy in all of the combine at the DE position. Was the Senior Bowl MOP for the South team with 2 strip sacks and fumbles.

Tanoh Kpassagnon: Raw but not much more raw than JPP was and we drafted him 15th. Shined at the Senior Bowl against top talent. Absolutely explodes off the line like he is shot out of a cannon. Even more of a size/speed freak than McDowell. 6'7,(35.6"arms and 10.625" hands!),290 lbs,4.83 speed. Extremely smart and has played both inside and out on Villanovas line.We also seem to love these African born athletes with tremendously tough names to say/spell Some are starting to call him the JPP of this years draft. At this point the upside is so high he may not make it to our second round pick.

Dietrich Wise: Another guy that fits Giants preffered body type at DE. 6'5 275, ridiculous 7.07 3 cone and 35.6" arm length. Shined at the shrine game arguably best player on both sides. played both inside and outside and looked very good on the edge often doubled and still made plays. 1.5 sacks , 8 tackles 4 QB hurries. Monster game. Likely a day 3 guy, maybe end rd 2.

Daeshon Hall: The 'other' DE at texas A&M. Not quite the freak like Garrett but absolutely excellent measuables in his own right. Really showed well at the Senior Bowl dominating one of the top OTs there Antonio Garcia. Love his frame/size/speed combination 6'5 266 with a 7.03 3 cone at this size (demonstrating top notch COD skills). A guy with mid late second round potential like Osi and Strahan were.

Chris Wormley: Ran a high 4.7 40 at his pro day at 6'6 300 lbs. High caracter guy how could be a perfect 3 tech pass rush DT and occasional DE on run downs in a 4-3. Giants brass met with him.

*Some may argue Willis and Tanoh are round 2 guys but DE's with elite potential often end up getting drafted in round 1 due to impact of the position despite what the pundits may predict.

A Hybrid DE/LB guys that might tickle our fancy (like Floyd last year):

TJ Watt: Spags is beloved by the front office and has the ear of the organization. I beleive he really wanted a dynamic guy that could rush from the second level from the defense and put his hand in the dirt on obvious pass downs. Hence the love affair with Floyd last year who looked excellent as a rookie for the Bears last year (despite the concussions). TJ could be this years version of Floyd. 6'4 and absolute excellent measurables. 4.69 speed, 252 lbs and a ridiculous 6.79 3-cone (demonstrating excellent C.O.D. skills). Coming into his own and while not the size of JJ he seems to have some very natural pass rush ability of his own that he is starting to realize. Has a similar passion for the game as his brother.
    Last edited by JMAN74; 03-24-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Bench Player
    Jmulroy99 and Giant 303: Both those guys are good players but I don't see the length and/or body types that they usually go for with those two. As far as Red**** specifically, It seemed last year that Spagnuolo wanted a guy with length who wouldnt embarrass himself at LB in space and could also provide pass rush ability. Red**** is so good that it could cause them to think long and hard (despite him being only 6'1 and 237 lbs) should he drop to 23.

Veteran
    Question should be whom will not be on the roster next year. This may dictate what direction we will draft.Example, DRC, PUGH, Richburg., Vereen ??????

Best Player Available.

They could go OL, TE, LB, or DE/DT.. all are on the table.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JMAN74 View Post
    Jmulroy99 and Giant 303: Both those guys are good players but I don't see the length and/or body types that they usually go for with those two. As far as Red**** specifically, It seemed last year that Spagnuolo wanted a guy with length who wouldnt embarrass himself at LB in space and could also provide pass rush ability. Red**** is so good that it could cause them to think long and hard (despite him being only 6'1 and 237 lbs) should he drop to 23.
    We just gave a guy who isn't even 6'2 a 87.5 million dollar contract. The notion that we only go for lean 6'5+ guys is false

Bench Player
    Good point JMul but I see that as more exception to the rule and circumstance than anything else. We were desperate to get Spags some pass rush toys and OV was the best on the market. An established one who proved he was effective against both run and pass despite his stature.

Most of the guys we have traditionally gone after especially at DE are the taller, longer armed,quick twitch angular types. Not an end all be all per se, but it is certainly a big factor in the equation.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JMAN74 View Post
    Good point JMul but I see that as more exception to the rule and circumstance than anything else. We were desperate to get Spags some pass rush toys and OV was the best on the market. An established one who proved he was effective against both run and pass despite his stature.

Most of the guys we have traditionally gone after especially at DE are the taller, longer armed,quick twitch angular types. Not an end all be all per se, but it is certainly a big factor in the equation.
    Name one guy besides JPP that's been on the roster in the last 4 years that fits your given criteria