+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bench Player

Offensive and Defensive Prospects who fit the Giants Paradigm in Rounds 1 and 2

OFFENSE:
    ---------------

RB:

Christian McCaffery: Absolute do it all RB. On the high end he could be Marshall Faulk/Leveon Bell type which would do wonders for the offense that MacAdoo is trying to run. Only RB in my opinion worth our #1 pick that has a chance to make it to 23. Interesting to see what they do if he is there at 23 (even with Vareen still on the team).

WR:

Zay Jones: When all is said and done I think he could end up being the best WR in this entire draft. Thats how good I think this kid is. He was the MVP of the entire Senior bowl. He had 6 catches 68 yards and 1TD with another 2 big catches called back that would have put him over 100 yards and 2TDs and that's not playing the entire game either. Amazing hands ,decent size (6'2), and good route runner (who can get even better in this area). A ridiculous 158 catches last year. Because this is not necessarily a high need this is the only WR I'd consider at 23 especially with the value elsewhere.

Cooper Kupp: This kid is not far behind Zay for my next favorite receiver. If there is one thing Reese puts an emphasis on with receivers he drafts it's elite route running ability. And he has been extremely successful in the top 2 rounds with this philosophy (OBJ, Nicks, Steve Smith,Sterling Shephard). Cooper looked nearly uncoverable in the Senior Bowl and is just so good at gaining quick separation which is essential in the offense we run. I don't think he'd be in consideration at 23, but I would be all over him in round 2.

TE:
    ------

OJ Howard: A 2 way monster at the position who also flashed at the senior bowl. Day 1 starter at the position and could have a Shockey like impact. Shockey was excellent in Fassel's system.

Njoku: A little more raw but just as much upside.

OT:
    --------

*I write OT and not OG/OL because I think this team is pretty stocked at OG compared to OT. Unless Flowers takes a quantum leap next year at LT this position could be the biggest weakness on the team.

Garret Bolles: Unfortunately in this draft there is only one guy in my opinion who has elite LT ability who isn't a long term project. He has a nasty demeanor and tested off the charts in the combine. Excellent ,excellent feet as seen on tape and a 7.3 3-cone (Giants value 3 cone highly for certain positions like LT,WR,DE) . 4.95 40 at 295 lbs is also excellent. He still needs better functional strenght but a year in an NFl strenght and conditioning program should do wonders. He could still likely start day 1 at LT and be better than anything we have right now and allow the 3 of Jerry,Fluker and Flowers to battle it out for RG,RT.

DEFENSE:
    ----------------

Pass rush:
    ---------------
    Malik McDowell: if the supposed character issues check out, he could be a steal at 23. Was pretty much the entire Dline for Mich St. playing up and down the line and looking at times absolutely unblockable. Constantly doubled and even triple teamed and still made many plays. Technique was a little sloppy but could be due to playing all over the line. Another freak size/speed guy 6'6, 290,4.85 40, long arms ,angular, quick twitch but still stout at POA. Basically could be all what we wanted Chris Canty to be when he signed on here. Would potentially be incredible with Snacks next to him occupying double teams and freeing him up to just beat a single blocker on the way to destroying the QB.

Jordan Willis: Slightly shorter than the ideal but still pretty good size at 6'4 and an absolute blur on the edge with 4.5 speed. One of top measurable guy in all of the combine at the DE position. Was the Senior Bowl MOP for the South team with 2 strip sacks and fumbles.Possible round 1 or round 2 guy.

Tanoh Kpassagnon: Raw but not much more raw than JPP was and we drafted him 15th. Shined at the Senior Bowl against top talent. Absolutely explodes off the line like he is shot out of a cannon. Even more of a size/speed freak than McDowell. 6'7,(35.6"arms and 10.625" hands!),290 lbs,4.83 speed. Extremely smart and has played both inside and out on Villanovas line.We also seem to love these African born athletes with tremendously tough names to say/spell Some are starting to call him the JPP of this years draft. Would like him in round 1 (depending on who else is available) but would LOVE him in rd.2.

*Some may argue Willis and Tanoh are round 2 guys but DE's with elite potential often end up getting drafted in round 1 due to impact of the position despite what the pundits may predict.

Hybrid DE/LB :
    ----------------------

TJ Watt: Spags is beloved by the front office and has the ear of the organization. I beleive he really wanted a dynamic guy that could rush from the second level from the defense and put his hand in the dirt on obvious pass downs. Hence the love affair with Floyd last year who looked excellent as a rookie for the Bears last year (despite the concussions). TJ could be this years version of Floyd. 6'4 and absolute excellent measurables. 4.69 speed, 252 lbs and a ridiculous 6.79 3-cone (demonstrating excellent C.O.D. skills). Coming into his own and while not the size of JJ he seems to have some very natural pass rush ability of his own that he is starting to realize. Has a similar passion for the game as his brother.

Safety/Nickle LB:
    -----------------------

Obi Melifonwu: Could be the freak secondary player of the entire draft. 6'4 ,224 lbs with 4.4 speed. Many scouts feel he would be an elite TE or RB eraser at the next level with even some Centerfield capability depending on the defense you play. Love the measurables and potential for what the creative Spagnuolo could do with this guy.

*Honorable mentions:
    ------------------------------

Zach Cunningham- very smart,instinctive LB with legit cover skills a dimension sorely lacking on this team.

Hasson Red****- Love his game but not his size at 6'1 and shorter arms. Giants are usually pretty selective on size/speed combo but possibly could make an exception due to the ability.

Veteran
    Red****s arms are only 3/8ths of an inch shorter than Watts and Floyds

Quote Originally Posted by JMAN74 View Post
    OFFENSE:
    ---------------

RB:

Christian McCaffery: Absolute do it all RB. On the high end he could be Marshall Faulk/Leveon Bell type which would do wonders for the offense that MacAdoo is trying to run. Only RB in my opinion worth our #1 pick that has a chance to make it to 23. Interesting to see what they do if he is there at 23 (even with Vareen still on the team).

WR:

Zay Jones: When all is said and done I think he could end up being the best WR in this entire draft. Thats how good I think this kid is. He was the MVP of the entire Senior bowl. He had 6 catches 68 yards and 1TD with another 2 big catches called back that would have put him over 100 yards and 2TDs and that's not playing the entire game either. Amazing hands ,decent size (6'2), and good route runner (who can get even better in this area). A ridiculous 158 catches last year. Because this is not necessarily a high need this is the only WR I'd consider at 23 especially with the value elsewhere.

Cooper Kupp: This kid is not far behind Zay for my next favorite receiver. If there is one thing Reese puts an emphasis on with receivers he drafts it's elite route running ability. And he has been extremely successful in the top 2 rounds with this philosophy (OBJ, Nicks, Steve Smith,Sterling Shephard). Cooper looked nearly uncoverable in the Senior Bowl and is just so good at gaining quick separation which is essential in the offense we run. I don't think he'd be in consideration at 23, but I would be all over him in round 2.

TE:
    ------

OJ Howard: A 2 way monster at the position who also flashed at the senior bowl. Day 1 starter at the position and could have a Shockey like impact. Shockey was excellent in Fassel's system.

OT:
    --------

*I write OT and not OG/OL because I think this team is pretty stocked at OG compared to OT. Unless Flowers takes a quantum leap next year at LT this position could be the biggest weakness on the team.

Garret Bolles: Unfortunately in this draft there is only one guy in my opinion who has elite LT ability who isn't a long term project. He has a nasty demeanor and tested off the charts in the combine. Excellent ,excellent feet as seen on tape and a 7.3 3-cone (Giants value 3 cone highly for certain positions like LT,WR,DE) . 4.95 40 at 295 lbs is also excellent. He still needs better functional strenght but a year in an NFl strenght and conditioning program should do wonders. He could still likely start day 1 at LT and be better than anything we have right now and allow the 3 of Jerry,Fluker and Flowers to battle it out for RG,RT.

DEFENSE:
    ----------------

Pass rush:
    ---------------
    Malik McDowell: if the supposed character issues check out, he could be a steal at 23. Was pretty much the entire Dline for Mich St. playing up and down the line and looking at times absolutely unblockable. Constantly doubled and even triple teamed and still made many plays. Technique was a little sloppy but could be due to playing all over the line. Another freak size/speed guy 6'6, 290,4.85 40, long arms ,angular, quick twitch but still stout at POA. Basically could be all what we wanted Chris Canty to be when he signed on here. Would potentially be incredible with Snacks next to him occupying double teams and freeing him up to just beat a single blocker on the way to destroying the QB.

Jordan Willis: Slightly shorter than the ideal but still pretty good size at 6'4 and an absolute blur on the edge with 4.5 speed. One of top measurable guy in all of the combine at the DE position. Was the Senior Bowl MOP for the South team with 2 strip sacks and fumbles.Possible round 1 or round 2 guy.

Tanoh Kpassagnon: Raw but not much more raw than JPP was and we drafted him 15th. Shined at the Senior Bowl against top talent. Absolutely explodes off the line like he is shot out of a cannon. Even more of a size/speed freak than McDowell. 6'7,(35.6"arms and 10.625" hands!),290 lbs,4.83 speed. Extremely smart and has played both inside and out on Villanovas line.We also seem to love these African born athletes with tremendously tough names to say/spell Some are starting to call him the JPP of this years draft. Would like him in round 1 (depending on who else is available) but would LOVE him in rd.2.

*Some may argue Willis and Tanoh are round 2 guys but DE's with elite potential often end up getting drafted in round 1 due to impact of the position despite what the pundits may predict.

Hybrid DE/LB :
    ----------------------

TJ Watt: Spags is beloved by the front office and has the ear of the organization. I beleive he really wanted a dynamic guy that could rush from the second level from the defense and put his hand in the dirt on obvious pass downs. Hence the love affair with Floyd last year who looked excellent as a rookie for the Bears last year (despite the concussions). TJ could be this years version of Floyd. 6'4 and absolute excellent measurables. 4.69 speed, 252 lbs and a ridiculous 6.79 3-cone (demonstrating excellent C.O.D. skills). Coming into his own and while not the size of JJ he seems to have some very natural pass rush ability of his own that he is starting to realize. Has a similar passion for the game as his brother.

Safety/Nickle LB:
    -----------------------

Obi Melifonwu: Could be the freak secondary player of the entire draft. 6'4 ,224 lbs with 4.4 speed. Many scouts feel he would be an elite TE or RB eraser at the next level with even some Centerfield capability depending on the defense you play. Love the measurables and potential for what the creative Spagnuolo could do with this guy.

*Honorable mentions:

Zach Cunningham- very smart,instinctive LB with legit cover skills a dimension sorely lacking on this team.

Hasson Red****- Love his game but not his size at 6'1 and shorter arms. Giants are usually pretty selective on size/speed combo but possibly could make an exception due to the ability.
    Real nice post. Thank you. And I agree with you regarding the Giants need for a player that can pass rush from the second level.
    Thank god it's hockey season.

I'd be on board with any of these but the WRs. Only because I'm not convinced the Giants need an immediate rookie contribution from that position. A bit of a luxury pick imo.
    my beer drinking team has a football problem

I think Lamp should be there even if he plays Guard. Talent first, position second. IMO the best lineman in the draft.

Zach Cunningham and Raekwon McMillan should both be listed as well. 1st or 2nd round would be a great addition to this team. I don't think TJ Watt will be the pick. The dude is riddled with injuries. He will probably slip.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

OFFENSE:
    ---------------

RB:

WR:

TE:
    ------

OT:
    --------

DEFENSE:
    ----------------

Pass rush:
    ---------------

Hybrid DE/LB :
    ----------------------

Safety/Nickle LB:
    -----------------------

*Honorable mentions:

I agree with a lot of your choices. You did your homework.
    Last edited by TEM; 03-21-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Bench Player
    I hear you, agreed we have greater needs.We do rate receivers very highly though and Marshall is in the twilight of his career. Depending on how the draft falls and If these guys are BPA in round 1 or 2, I wouldnt be amazed if we go in that direction.

Bench Player
    When you combine the fact that we dont rate OGs as impact players comparitvely to other positions AND we have a bunch of OL with Gaurd ability , I doubt Lamp would be the pick. I do like Zack though and apparently Reese does too.

When you combine the fact that we dont rate OGs as impact players comparitvely to other positions AND we have a bunch of OL with Gaurd ability , I doubt Lamp would be the pick. I do like Zack though and apparently Reese does too.
    I only think Lamp because he might be the best lineman in the draft and we have gone Guard somewhat recently in round 1. I could see it. I think we rank Cunningham higher than most people here believe. Would not shock me at all to go that route.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Veteran
    Right now -- I'd say Z-Cunningham and J-Davis (FL) are very high on Giant boards.

I do agree on McDowell -- Giants with Snacks/Vernon/JPP to mentor him (teach him how to work / technique) might be the perfect club for a talented player like McDowell.

I think McCafferey and Howard are gone by 23 and I don't think the Giants go for a pure WR (given we already have OBJ/Shep/Marshall) but if we do go skill position 1 player who fits and could make us elite is E-Engram.

Engram playing Hybrid TE would basically give us a clone of young B-Marshall running the middle of the field and stretching the seams.