+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 91
  1. #71
    Hall of Famer Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    61,187
    Getting Brandon Marshall reduces our need for a good TE. at least for the two years he's signed for. The great thing about Marshall is his red zone play.
    He's going to be a huge addition to our offense.

    I'm guessing we just let the board come to us and pick the BPA, which would be a departure for JR in RD 1.

    Maybe someone will fall. Or maybe a QB will be there that we can't pass up, like Mahomes.
    "Typical Morehead!"..................and he didn't even mean that as a compliment..

  2. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by gibril28wilson View Post
    so what you're saying is you didnt watch the Giants? What do you think McAdoo is going to say when asked about his OL? 'No they suck we must improve there or the seasons over'?? Of course he's going to defend them and try and take the heat off them. His 3 potential OTs right now are all young players who have not been too good so far in their careers. You dont tear down their confidence in March.

    maybe the OL will be pretty much the same next year. I've never said it's not possible. Reese has set the team so it's possible Giants could go into the season with the guys we have. The Giants have taken steps to make the offense a better running team with Fluker Ellison and Bmarsh. And if the Giants can become a better running team it will help the OL with pass rushing and just help the offense in general.

    It's also possible the Giants draft OL to help further build their OL. Fluker is on a 1 year deal. Flowers has 1 year to prove himself. Hart we dk what we're going to get from him. Just like the Giants took Eli Apple when there was already two projected starting CBs, it's possible the Giants go OL early in the draft to create more competition and have a plan for the future.

    and btw WR was added first because he was cut by the Jets and we could add him before FA even started. saying we added WR first means it was most important is shortsighted.
    I think thats an easy blame, an easy one-liner that you can throw out there and think you have all the answers, McAdoo said, via Newsday. I dont necessarily agree with that.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-eli-manning/

  3. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyxmeth View Post
    How about what? I don't even know what point you're trying to make here, or why you left out Jacob Tamme of the Falcons and Larry Donnell and Jerell Adams on the Giants. Are you attempting to make the point that because Atlanta uses their TEs sparsely but efficiently and effectively, then that means we should aim to also use the TE sparingly and be significantly worse than them at using the position? Those Atlanta TEs were catching passes downfield at a 70% clip. Our guys had the same catch rate while catching virtually everything 5 yards off the line. These aren't comparable situations. I know you used Atlanta because you couldn't make whatever point you were trying to make using the Patriots, who overinvest at TE over the majority of the league because they understand better than most about market inefficiencies.
    I used the Falcons because they made it to the Super Bowl and came pretty damn close to winning. Why would I include a TE that only played the first half of the season?

    The point I'm making is that TE is not our "#1 need". As I've stated, we definitely need an upgrade, but I'm pointing out a team being very successful without an elite TE. They do however have an incredible offensive line. Their OL kinda gives me some hope. Matthews was atrocious his first year (perhaps due to his ankle injury) but was a totally different player in year 2. Schraeder I don't think was even drafted and has become one of the top RTs in the league. When they added Mack, that also gave them one of the best OL in the league.

    As for the Patriots... I remember reading at one point in the season their LT was rated in the top 5 and their RT was rated #1 in the league. So we can use Patriots as an example if you'd like.
    2017 Mock Draft (Pre-combine / FA):

    Rd 1: OJ Howard (TE, Alabama)
    Rd 2: Tanoh Kpassagnon (DE, Villanova)
    Rd 3: Antonio Garcia (OT, Troy)
    Rd 4: Samaje Perine (RB, Oklahoma)
    Rd 5: Davis Webb (QB, Cal)
    Rd 6: Ahkello Witherspoon (CB, Colorado)
    Rd 7: DJ Jones (DT, Ole Miss)

  4. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Getting Brandon Marshall reduces our need for a good TE. at least for the two years he's signed for. The great thing about Marshall is his red zone play.
    He's going to be a huge addition to our offense.

    I'm guessing we just let the board come to us and pick the BPA, which would be a departure for JR in RD 1.

    Maybe someone will fall. Or maybe a QB will be there that we can't pass up, like Mahomes.


    Wrong, it's a mismatch passing offense. Optimally, you want 3 mismatch WRs plus a mismatch TE. That mismatch TE is missing still.

  5. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSabbath View Post
    I used the Falcons because they made it to the Super Bowl and came pretty damn close to winning. Why would I include a TE that only played the first half of the season?

    The point I'm making is that TE is not our "#1 need". As I've stated, we definitely need an upgrade, but I'm pointing out a team being very successful without an elite TE. They do however have an incredible offensive line. Their OL kinda gives me some hope. Matthews was atrocious his first year (perhaps due to his ankle injury) but was a totally different player in year 2. Schraeder I don't think was even drafted and has become one of the top RTs in the league. When they added Mack, that also gave them one of the best OL in the league.

    As for the Patriots... I remember reading at one point in the season their LT was rated in the top 5 and their RT was rated #1 in the league. So we can use Patriots as an example if you'd like.

    Wow, you are totally wrong. The Giants do not have a single threat at TE. Not one guy that worries defenses.

  6. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Getting Brandon Marshall reduces our need for a good TE. at least for the two years he's signed for. The great thing about Marshall is his red zone play.
    He's going to be a huge addition to our offense.

    I'm guessing we just let the board come to us and pick the BPA, which would be a departure for JR in RD 1.

    Maybe someone will fall. Or maybe a QB will be there that we can't pass up, like Mahomes.
    If you want a red zone threat. TE michael Roberts is your guy. http://texanswire.usatoday.com/2017/...d-zone-threat/ caought 16 Tds on like 41 attempts i think it was and like 80% of his catches for first downs. Not the fastest guy. Throw it up he comes down with it kind of dude.

  7. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppy View Post
    Because its fun to have strong opinions, even if you end up being wrong. Last year was the first year i got into the draft hype. Just enjoying all the possibilities. You know what they say every team wins the Super bowl in the spring. Especially Dallas. Every spring the media has them as SB champs. lol Its just our chance as fans to play GM and say what we think could/should might be done. No big deal. We enjoy discussing it. That's all. I try to keep it light.

    Only one opinion (mine lol)

    2 cents
    No where did I mention anything wrong w opinions. I said everyone thinks their opinion is the only answer. Once I hear that from someone I lose interest in whatever they're trying to say cuz of how close minded they sound. Im very opinionated on the draft and love hearing others opinions and support for their claims too. But the know it alls just sound juvenile and don't know how the draft works. Anything can happen
    2017 Draft Wishlist:
    1. Christian McCaffrey RB Stanford
    2. Raekwon McMillan ILB Ohio State
    3. Roderick Johnson OT Florida State
    4. Jordan Leggett TE Clemson
    5. Ryan Glasgow DT Michegan
    6. Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss
    7. Billy Brown WR Shepherd


    "Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

  8. #78
    Hall of Famer Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    61,187
    Quote Originally Posted by CRF11504 View Post
    Wrong, it's a mismatch passing offense. Optimally, you want 3 mismatch WRs plus a mismatch TE. That mismatch TE is missing still.
    Well I feel much better about my position now.......Thank you.
    "Typical Morehead!"..................and he didn't even mean that as a compliment..

  9. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by TAILGATIN' View Post
    No where did I mention anything wrong w opinions. I said everyone thinks their opinion is the only answer. Once I hear that from someone I lose interest in whatever they're trying to say cuz of how close minded they sound. Im very opinionated on the draft and love hearing others opinions and support for their claims too. But the know it alls just sound juvenile and don't know how the draft works. Anything can happen
    Oh you mean those guys. I just ignore them, or laugh at them the same way I ignore or laugh at skip bayless.

    PS nowhere did i mention that you mentioned... lol

    lighten up my friend! It's Friday!

  10. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by CRF11504 View Post
    Wow, you are totally wrong. The Giants do not have a single threat at TE. Not one guy that worries defenses.
    How am I wrong? I totally agree with that. That's exactly why I mentioned the Falcons. What part of saying OL is simply a more vital role than TE do you not understand? Did having one of the biggest threats at WR matter in the playoffs when Eli never had a chance to make a play to him because our OL got swallowed? Yes, I want an upgrade at TE... BADLY. But it all starts with OL, which opens up things for your RB, WRs and TEs. I wouldn't argue against TE being #2 or #3 biggest need, but won't agree that it's #1 (unless Flowers drastically improves in 2017).

    In the last 5 years 21 OTs have been drafted in the first round. Guess how many TEs have been drafted in the first round... 2. 21 to 2! Now, do you think it's because OT is a more important position, or do you think for the last 5 years every team has just already had a TE that defenses are scared of?
    2017 Mock Draft (Pre-combine / FA):

    Rd 1: OJ Howard (TE, Alabama)
    Rd 2: Tanoh Kpassagnon (DE, Villanova)
    Rd 3: Antonio Garcia (OT, Troy)
    Rd 4: Samaje Perine (RB, Oklahoma)
    Rd 5: Davis Webb (QB, Cal)
    Rd 6: Ahkello Witherspoon (CB, Colorado)
    Rd 7: DJ Jones (DT, Ole Miss)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts