+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: As draft day approaches, a friendly reminder that we're not very good at drafting

Quote Originally Posted by Gee718 View Post
    I disagree.

2012 - David Wilson was a good pick, but he caught a bad break. Should we have caught his spine issue pre-draft? Who knows. Rueben Randle was productive and his career stats are probably close to your beloved Victor Cruz....He's still young and still in the league.

Markus Kuhn -.Hey....He played at least. Jayron Hosely lasted 4 seasons even though he was a bum. So yeah, 2012 sucked,

2013 - Here is where you lose me. Pugh is pro bowl Caliber. Guys Jonathan Hankins is a good DT despite his free agency woes. Who here wouldn't be happy to have him back? Damontre Moore is still in the league. He had the skills but his mind was suspect. Nassib did what he was drafted to do and we never used him. Can't call a guy not needed a bust.

2014 - ODB....Win....Richburg, you are way off base. Great center who played injured. Considered a pro bowl snub in 2015. Bromley may be your new starting DT, Kennard is a starting LB and Berhe is Berhe.

2015 - Flowers is playing out of position, Landon is a GIANT. Found a starting OL in the 7th, Thompson is an injury bust that we reached for, but he was already replaced with Adams...an UDFA. Some drafts just don't have good players.

2016 - Great draft, top to bottom...even UDFA's Adams and Okwara
    not to be picky, but I think you meant Owa as the injury bust in 2015. Thompson was picked in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by tk89 View Post
    Our last few drafts:

2012 = total bust. No players remain.

2013 = almost a total bust. Only Pugh remains. We just lost Hankins, who underperformed anyway.

2014 = SUCCESS because of OBJ and possibly Richburg (jury's still out IMHO...)

2015 = Landon Collins is the saving grace. Maybe Hart continues to grow? But probably another near total bust.

2016 = too soon to say, though I still honestly feel that Eli Apple was a reach (even a year later)

So basically just 1 franchise player (or none) in 3 of our 4 most recent tested draft classes. I'm tempering my expectations that we will "save the OL" this draft...
    I agree with you about the 2012 draft and somewhat with the 2013 draft.

However, 2014 thus far has looked like a great draft. ODB is an all-pro, Richburg and Kennard are quality starters and Berhe and Bromley were valuable back-ups last year. While Flowers has been a disappointment so far from 2016, you still got another all-pro in Collins and Bobby Hart is likely at least a decent back-up OL to have. Last years' draft is a little early to tell but right now you have four projected 2017 starters from that draft in Apple, Sheppard, Thompson and Perkins. And Adams looked like he could be a solid #2 TE.

Those are fantastic returns out of our last three drafts, especially from the later rounds which has been JR;s Achilles heel as a GM. I'll take those kinds of returns every year and if they get a similar crop this year as last then they'll really fill some holes on this team and add some quality depth.
    All Hail The New York Giants!!

I thought we did a good job revamping our defense in the draft last year and Perkins and Shepard were nice additions!

Quote Originally Posted by fletch842 View Post
    not to be picky, but I think you meant Owa as the injury bust in 2015. Thompson was picked in 2016.
    Posts like THIS solidify Thompson as an injury BUST. He's done NOTHING but get INJURED that people FORGET he was even drafted/on the team.
    ★★★Markus Kuhn Crew★★★★★★Bobby Hart Crew★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling View Post
    Posts like THIS solidify Thompson as an injury BUST. He's done NOTHING but get INJURED that people FORGET he was even drafted/on the team.
    Thompson was in his first year last season, how can he be an injury bust?

Odigi though has now had two injury riddled seasons after having injury issues in college so he'd definitely got red flags.
    All Hail The New York Giants!!

Quote Originally Posted by fletch842 View Post
    He's talking about Mykkele Thompson. Drafted in 2015. Was a reach then and hasn't been able to stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling View Post
    If you're talking about Darian Thompson and not Mykkele Thompson, then I don't agree with a single thing you said above. Are you Nick?

Bench Player
    It will be an interesting draft this year to see if there is a trend for the better underway. Always wondered how much influence TC had over draft picks and just how good he was at evaluating talent.My sense is that he had a lot of influence. Time will tell. Be nice if McAdoo contributes to a better success rate.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue@NYC View Post
    I agree with you about the 2012 draft and somewhat with the 2013 draft.

However, 2014 thus far has looked like a great draft. ODB is an all-pro, Richburg and Kennard are quality starters and Berhe and Bromley were valuable back-ups last year. While Flowers has been a disappointment so far from 2016, you still got another all-pro in Collins and Bobby Hart is likely at least a decent back-up OL to have. Last years' draft is a little early to tell but right now you have four projected 2017 starters from that draft in Apple, Sheppard, Thompson and Perkins. And Adams looked like he could be a solid #2 TE.

Those are fantastic returns out of our last three drafts, especially from the later rounds which has been JR;s Achilles heel as a GM. I'll take those kinds of returns every year and if they get a similar crop this year as last then they'll really fill some holes on this team and add some quality depth.
    During those bad drafts I think Reese may have gotten a little ****y and thought he was smarter than everyone with some picks, with also a ton of bad luck involved like Wilsons neck injury for example. Reese has bounced back nicely the last 3 years drafting though, and I continue to have confidence in Reese as a GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapblock View Post
    It will be an interesting draft this year to see if there is a trend for the better underway. Always wondered how much influence TC had over draft picks and just how good he was at evaluating talent.My sense is that he had a lot of influence. Time will tell. Be nice if McAdoo contributes to a better success rate.
    i honestly would think every coach in the NFL has a huge influence in drafts and pretty much every roster move. it's a lot more beneficial to an organization to have the GM and HC in sync with who they want on their roster than it is to have the GM say here i like this guy make it work.

+ Reply to Thread