+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 90
  1. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by moosedrool View Post
    The retired player who wrote the analysis played 7 years in the NFL against OT's. Did you?
    And now he's a writer who puts out dumb thoughts to get attention

    Do you watch NFLN? How many long time great players regularly say DUMB *** **** once they become media? K then..

    Being too fat could cause issues with footwork (and balance but balance isn't technique) but footwork isn't Flowers problem

    Keeping your hands up, getting the crown of your helmet down, getting your hands inside, getting the initial strike, not going overboard with your kick slide and making first contact with your back 2 inches from the QB.. just about all of which he struggles BADLY with.. have nothing to do with being too fat

    Most of these guys don't even watch the players they're talking about, they just heard he sucks, then he goes and looks as his weight and makes a BLANKET STATEMENT as to why he sucks based on jack**** (assumption) if you guys can't see this for yourself I feel bad, sorry

    Being fat would only hinder athleticism (fat people can be SKILLED at almost anything) Flowers has enough athleticism to play tackle, his problem is skill/technique

    Also pretty easy to say "anytime I hear about an olineman sucking he's usually fat) yeah.. they pretty much ALL have a high body fat% but there are ones who suck at 300lbs and ones who suck at 330lbs.. and vice versa there are ones who are very good at both weights and everything in between, no direct correlation.. if you're 370 ok but how many of those are there? Any? Lol flowers losing weight would not make him one bit better, maybe even worse
    Last edited by Eliordie; 04-30-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    Draft day dream:
    1. Garrett Bolles LT Utah
    2. Dalvin Tomlinson DT Alabama
    3. Jake Butt TE Michigan
    4. Samaje Perine RB Oklahoma
    5. Jalen Myrick CB Minnesota
    6. Jayon Brown WLB UCLA
    7. Zane Gonzalez K Arizona

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy E View Post
    Everywhere Oline Coach Mike Solari has gone, he has transformed the O lines he has acquired. We were not good last year in his first year. It takes time. I expect a better result this year for the Oline. Solari has a track record and a long list of Pro bowlers and Hofers on his resume. If Flowers is too fat or any other issues with other players, I expect Solari to have some serious input by now on the situation. I expect or at least hope they would seek Solari's opinion on who to sign or who to draft. He has not panicked since he has been here so I imagine he understands what he is working with. I think we might be in for a shock at how good the Offense could be this year. Solari wants to run the damn ball without a doubt. He may have said "get me that blocking Minnesota TE for starters". He might have said "Go get "Fluker, I could work with him". After cringing and agonizing last year, I still gotta say I still trust Solari and expect a difference this year.
    +1 I'm very hopeful that you are right.... Thanks for posting something positive & hopeful!

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliordie View Post
    And now he's a writer who puts out dumb thoughts to get attention

    Do you watch NFLN? How many long time great players regularly say DUMB *** **** once they become media? K then..

    Being too fat could cause issues with footwork (and balance but balance isn't technique) but footwork isn't Flowers problem

    Keeping your hands up, getting the crown of your helmet down, getting your hands inside, getting the initial strike, not going overboard with your kick slide and making first contact with your back 2 inches from the QB.. just about all of which he struggles BADLY with.. have nothing to do with being too fat

    Most of these guys don't even watch the players they're talking about, they just heard he sucks, then he goes and looks as his weight and makes a BLANKET STATEMENT as to why he sucks based on jack**** (assumption) if you guys can't see this for yourself I feel bad, sorry

    Being fat would only hinder athleticism (fat people can be SKILLED at almost anything) Flowers has enough athleticism to play tackle, his problem is skill/technique

    Also pretty easy to say "anytime I hear about an olineman sucking he's usually fat) yeah.. they pretty much ALL have a high body fat% but there are ones who suck at 300lbs and ones who suck at 330lbs.. and vice versa there are ones who are very good at both weights and everything in between, no direct correlation.. if you're 370 ok but how many of those are there? Any? Lol flowers losing weight would not make him one bit better, maybe even worse
    Did you even read the article? The guy broke down tape on Flowers against Nebraska, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Virginia and South Carolina.

    You say Flowers footwork isn't the problem? I completely disagree with you and agree with the ex-NFL player that Flowers footwork on pass protection is bad. You say he goes overboard on his kick step. His kick step is not wide enough or deep enough, another point I agree with the ex NFL player.

    Flowers is slow off the ball. Do you really think losing weight would make him slower off the ball? We all know offensive lineman all have high body fat %'s, that is irrelevant. Even if Flowers plays at a lower weight he will still have a high body fat %.

    And the most important point I agree with "it's been my experience that the more overweight an offensive linemen is, the worse his pad level is. It just gets harder and harder for them to bend at the knees rather than at the waist as they balloon up, and it never ends well unless they find a way to lose some weight and keep it off."

    This was a well written assessment of Flowers that I agree with. For you to dismiss it as a blanket statement on a jack*** assumption is just a ridiculous statement without much thought. The writer makes many points regarding Flowers technique that unfortunately we see every Sunday, and you didn't see in the article.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliordie View Post
    And now he's a writer who puts out dumb thoughts to get attention

    Do you watch NFLN? How many long time great players regularly say DUMB *** **** once they become media? K then..

    Being too fat could cause issues with footwork (and balance but balance isn't technique) but footwork isn't Flowers problem

    Keeping your hands up, getting the crown of your helmet down, getting your hands inside, getting the initial strike, not going overboard with your kick slide and making first contact with your back 2 inches from the QB.. just about all of which he struggles BADLY with.. have nothing to do with being too fat

    Most of these guys don't even watch the players they're talking about, they just heard he sucks, then he goes and looks as his weight and makes a BLANKET STATEMENT as to why he sucks based on jack**** (assumption) if you guys can't see this for yourself I feel bad, sorry

    Being fat would only hinder athleticism (fat people can be SKILLED at almost anything) Flowers has enough athleticism to play tackle, his problem is skill/technique

    Also pretty easy to say "anytime I hear about an olineman sucking he's usually fat) yeah.. they pretty much ALL have a high body fat% but there are ones who suck at 300lbs and ones who suck at 330lbs.. and vice versa there are ones who are very good at both weights and everything in between, no direct correlation.. if you're 370 ok but how many of those are there? Any? Lol flowers losing weight would not make him one bit better, maybe even worse
    You say that the author of this article doesn't know what he's talking about and that Ereck Flower's problem isn't his footwork in the same breath, rofl.

  5. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by moosedrool View Post
    Did you even read the article? The guy broke down tape on Flowers against Nebraska, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Virginia and South Carolina.

    You say Flowers footwork isn't the problem? I completely disagree with you and agree with the ex-NFL player that Flowers footwork on pass protection is bad. You say he goes overboard on his kick step. His kick step is not wide enough or deep enough, another point I agree with the ex NFL player.

    Flowers is slow off the ball. Do you really think losing weight would make him slower off the ball? We all know offensive lineman all have high body fat %'s, that is irrelevant. Even if Flowers plays at a lower weight he will still have a high body fat %.

    And the most important point I agree with "it's been my experience that the more overweight an offensive linemen is, the worse his pad level is. It just gets harder and harder for them to bend at the knees rather than at the waist as they balloon up, and it never ends well unless they find a way to lose some weight and keep it off."

    This was a well written assessment of Flowers that I agree with. For you to dismiss it as a blanket statement on a jack*** assumption is just a ridiculous statement without much thought. The writer makes many points regarding Flowers technique that unfortunately we see every Sunday, and you didn't see in the article.
    You're right I didn't read it, as for knee bending and pad level, these guys squat a **** ton of weight every other day (would hope their max is at least 1.5x body weight) no reason in this day and age they don't have the flexibility to get down, if they're not doing it it's because they're not listening to their coaches and training their muscle memory properly, I see no problem with his agility for the most part, when he starts chopping I believe that is another issue of refusal to take instruction, coming out of college he was reffered to as a dancing bear for a reason, his physical traits are the only reason he was drafted so high

    Either way, if the coaches/training staff (who I trust more as they work with the guy personally) thought he'd benefit from dropping his playing weight that's what he'd be doing, it's not hard to shed 10lbs or so for a guy his size, especially with all the trainers and dieticians these guys have at their disposal

    I don't think moving to guard will do him much good either, I've seen him get blown back by DEs far too often, DTs would get in his chest and maul him to death.. maybe this would be lessened by moving to guard as he won't be dealing with the same speed but he frequently lunges and whiffs, if that happens on the inside.. the play is insta-****ed

    All in all, no matter what he does until he starts to take instruction I don't think he's a viable starter anywhere on the OLine, regardless of weight, his footwork problems I would attribute to lack of discipline rather than natural quickness
    Last edited by Eliordie; 04-30-2017 at 01:46 PM.
    Draft day dream:
    1. Garrett Bolles LT Utah
    2. Dalvin Tomlinson DT Alabama
    3. Jake Butt TE Michigan
    4. Samaje Perine RB Oklahoma
    5. Jalen Myrick CB Minnesota
    6. Jayon Brown WLB UCLA
    7. Zane Gonzalez K Arizona

  6. #16
    http://boards.giants.com/showthread....=1#post2061615

    A Picture is worth a thousand words lol

  7. #17
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppy View Post
    http://boards.giants.com/showthread....=1#post2061615

    A Picture is worth a thousand words lol
    Oh man a fat Olineman never seen one of those before

    Trent Williams is a top3 LT in the league and has the hips of a Baptist's church choir singer
    Draft day dream:
    1. Garrett Bolles LT Utah
    2. Dalvin Tomlinson DT Alabama
    3. Jake Butt TE Michigan
    4. Samaje Perine RB Oklahoma
    5. Jalen Myrick CB Minnesota
    6. Jayon Brown WLB UCLA
    7. Zane Gonzalez K Arizona

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliordie View Post
    Oh man a fat Olineman never seen one of those before

    Trent Williams is a top3 LT in the league and has the hips of a Baptist's church choir singer
    Have you ever been Fat? Some people can do cartwheels when they are Fat, but it is rare.

    Not every one is rerun! LOL <<<<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xka0KBGI4vU

    The fact remains that for most people if you are too fat you can't bend and get low pad level etc.especially for taller guys....

    2 cents

  9. #19
    All-Pro GameTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jimi Hendrix Sept 18, 1970 RIP
    Posts
    36,491
    this is like an over weight person asking "do these pants make *** look big?" No.....your big *** makes your *** look big

    Flowers has poor technique because he just does.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

  10. #20
    well it seems we have divided opinions so far... i say send him to jenny craig then, couldn't
    hurt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts