+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Draft analyst ranks Giants' 2017 class worst in NFL

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "Don't show this to Giants general manager Jerry Reese.

NFL.com draft analyst Lance Zierlein wasn't a fan of the Giants' 2017 NFL Draft haul. In a power ranking of each team's draft class, Zierlein had the Giants at dead last. That's right, 32nd of 32 teams.

Here's what the analyst said about New York's class.

The Giants draft was more mortar than brick. Evan Engram should be an outstanding playmaking addition to a potent passing game, while DT Dalvin Tomlinson adds quality depth and a potential future starter. I never understood the hype on QB Davis Webb while watching the tape, but I do think that DE Avery Moss has the talent to surprise as a fifth-rounder. They failed to find a left tackle in this draft, though.

Although Zierlein was complementary of Engram, Tomlinson, Webb and Moss, the lack of a left tackle in the group is clearly what guided this ranking to be the worst in the NFL." Read more....
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

"the lack of a left tackle in the group is clearly what guided this ranking to be the worst in the NFL." -- I think it's terribly stupid analysis by the analyst.

This was not a draft oozing with O-line talent, let alone LT talent. The Giants are not a team that had the amount of holes to fill as in the past few drafts, but yet they got real talent at real value to fill holes that still exist -- except for LT, which is always hard to find and you DON'T want to reach for.

Engram -- we FINALLY have a legit starting TE. He's not the type of traditional Bavaro/Shockey-type TE that I believe in, but Engram's a friggin' weapon and brings much to this offense. The Giants NEEDED a real starter at the TE position, and they got one. He's not a blocking TE, but guess what -- they signed one as a FA this offseason.

Tomlinson is a very solid pick at DT where we had a big void left by Big Hank moving on. From a big-time program, and no reach here either.

Webb -- he was not a reach in the 3rd. He's most likely not going to make it in the NFL, but most QB prospects don't -- heck, most 1st rd QB's crash and burn.. You still have to try when A) your franchise QB is in the last years of his career, and B) when the opportunity presents itself to draft a QB the coaches believe they have a chance to develop. People can argue with the pick (I don't), but there was no reach here, and it gives us time to groom a QB for when Eli retires. And if Webb stinks? Then draft another QB next year.

Gallman -- the guy's a player, and he produced at a big-time program. He may not be the Jacobs-type thumper you want as a compliment to Perkins, but he runs hard and he's good anyway. The more important thing is the Giants needed RB depth, and they GOT IT. Gallman's got real potential and value, and that's the most important thing.

Moss -- I have no idea because I really don't know what was left at that point. But they needed DE depth, and they got it. And Moss has the potential to be another JPP and Vernon -- potential to be an all around DE who can stop the run AND pressure/sack the QB.

Bisnowaty -- sounds like a guy who can potentially be either a starting G eventually, and possibly compete for a T position or at least add nice depth at the O-line. Bisnowaty could EASILY have been drafted higher than the 6th RD.

Zierlein is being 100% ridiculous in being harsh on the Giants' '17 draft class. I think JR and the FO actually did very well. Very well, indeed.

Bench Player
    Yeah I don't understand the hate either. He actually gives our player selections good grades. I'd have loved to get a stud to hold down the line as well, but I honestly believe we got better as a team for the young talent we added to the roster.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Makin Plays View Post
    Yeah I don't understand the hate either. He actually gives our player selections good grades. I'd have loved to get a stud to hold down the line as well, but I honestly believe we got better as a team for the young talent we added to the roster.
    I don't think he hates it at all. A lot of opinionators think the entire NFL made good draft selections, but inevitably someone has to come in last in a ranking. It's probably going to be one of the 32 teams they think made good selections but missed major needs.

While I was a pretty harsh critic of our draft, im starting to come around on it.

Engram- Wasnt my 1st or 2nd overall TE, but what he brings to the recieving game is 2nd to none. He's not the complete TE that I wanted, but he is going to be the best offensive TE since Shockey.

Tomlinson- Probably my 2nd least favorite pick, after Webb. Personally I wanted a pass rushing 3 tech DT like Jaleel Johnson to pair with Snacks, we already had a run stuffing people eater in Snacks, no need for another run stuffer with limited pass rushing skills. IMO it feels like we replaced Hankins with Hankins, which isnt bad, but it isnt great. We spent a 2nd round pick on a 2 down player

Webb- Not a fan of this pick at all, I hate the system he came from, I hate that a hefty percentage of his throws can on little 5yd dink and dunk plays, not a fan that he isnt going to get any time for at least 2, probably 3yrs, when we still could have drafted someone that would make an immediate impact, especially with all of the holes that needed addressing

Gallman- Probably my 3rd fav RB in the draft (that wasnt a 1st rounder) after Perine and Foreman. I feel like he is going to be a great addition and complimentary back with Perkins, I wouldnt say we have Thunder and Lightning, but I feel like a storms'a brewin....

Avery- Wasnt familiar with him when we drafted him, but upon researching, I like what we got. He's a long, quick, pass rushing beast who isnt the best against the run, but he doesnt need to be at this point. He had impressive numbers at Nebraska til the whole exposure thing, but I feel like this kid could be a suprise impact player

Bisnowathy- 1 of my fav later round OL prospects, dude is straight up ANGRY on the field, like he is trying to make people not want to play against him, and I LOVE IT. He's not the best with speed rushers on the outside but he will be a day 1 upgrade at RT over Hart. He's an assett in the ground game and not a liability in the pass game, which is already more than we can say for our current RT

Wheeler- I could see him making the team as a swing tackle/backup RT

Jarron Jones- As long as he stays healthy he could be a BEAST on the field. Aty times he looked like a 1st rounder, and then he would get injured

Jadar Johnson- I can see him making the team as depth at FS, he's an excellent cover safety with good ball skills, unfortunatley he's somewhat of a liability in the run game
    Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

I hate when these people grade anyones draft poorly based on what THEY think is a need. This writer is not around these players, he has no idea what Flowers looks like right now. Reese and Co. are very comfortable with Flowers at LT and thus did not draft one. Now if Flowers is bad we can grade Reese's player evaluation skills as bad, but that doesn't mean this draft was bad. I honestly think this is a 2007 type draft for us where all of the players will contribute in a big way. From top to bottom I like every pick. I was baffled by Engram and upset with Tomlinson instead of Cunningham but those are still two awesome players we landed. Webb is the only guy I don't think will contribute any time soon, but again he could be a very good pick depending how he works out.

Judge the players picked, not the perceived needs.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

the only thing i didn't like about this draft is that at the moment it seems they were out drafted by the other teams in our division in three years it might change,but to think a GM less team out drafted them is really disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMike357 View Post
    I hate when these people grade anyones draft poorly based on what THEY think is a need. This writer is not around these players, he has no idea what Flowers looks like right now. Reese and Co. are very comfortable with Flowers at LT and thus did not draft one. Now if Flowers is bad we can grade Reese's player evaluation skills as bad, but that doesn't mean this draft was bad. I honestly think this is a 2007 type draft for us where all of the players will contribute in a big way. From top to bottom I like every pick. I was baffled by Engram and upset with Tomlinson instead of Cunningham but those are still two awesome players we landed. Webb is the only guy I don't think will contribute any time soon, but again he could be a very good pick depending how he works out.

Judge the players picked, not the perceived needs.
    Good post but in a corner D end heavy draft i was really ticked they didn't end up with some depth at both positions think the web pick through a monkey wrench into it,i know they got Moss in the 5th but a third rd DE or CB would have been nice.

Come on, man? The Giants had a great draft. I don't care what someone else
    said. I can see lots of talent there. Why look at the glass half full?

Quote Originally Posted by big blue dog View Post
    Good post but in a corner D end heavy draft i was really ticked they didn't end up with some depth at both positions think the web pick through a monkey wrench into it,i know they got Moss in the 5th but a third rd DE or CB would have been nice.
    the only regret i see is corner. we are fine at DE methinks. avery was a pretty good late round gem in the 5th IMO because he adds that much needed depth that can actually play the run. RB is a concern also. not sure if gallman fits the bill or was the best choice. Webb definitely was the monkey wrench. just think if they pass on webb and instead go for chad the swag kelly in the 7th....a way more talented QB IMO. but then do they get Biswonaty if they don't move up int he sixth? hmmmmmmmmm draft is never perfect, and tough choices have to be made. time to be happy with what we got. Engram and DT make the whole draft a big success IMO. two REALLY great starters. wish they found a corner somehow...even an UDFA but blah blah blah... its over definitely time to be happy with what we have. very exciting team this year!