+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pats "tender" Blount

Meaning, if the Giants want him, it might cost them in the compensatory pick category. Guessing they like Wayne the Train enough going forward, or they'd have signed Blount already? (Important Sidebar: Giants, or anyone else, have until July 22 to sign Blount with a compensatory pick penalty. After that date, he cannot be signed until after week 10 by anyone but NE).
    Last edited by elitocruz; 05-10-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Veteran
    Jerry Reese and the FO have shown no cleverness to navigate the compensatory pick process like a Baltimore or New England does, so I doubt this would make any difference to them. If they want to sign him, then they'll sign him. I don't think they want him though.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyxmeth View Post
    Jerry Reese and the FO have shown no cleverness to navigate the compensatory pick process like a Baltimore or New England does, so I doubt this would make any difference to them. If they want to sign him, then they'll sign him. I don't think they want him though.
    How exactly do the Ravens and Pats "cleverly" navigate the compensatory pick process in a way that JR does not?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    How exactly do the Ravens and Pats "cleverly" navigate the compensatory pick process in a way that JR does not?
    It's a bit of a snowball effect. The Ravens have had a history of trading down, and so they draft more often than league average. This allows them to fill more depth in with draft picks than free agents. This in turn allows them to not feel the pressure of having to pay market value for their own free agents when they feel they aren't worth it. To supplement any holes that aren't filled, the Ravens target players that have been cut, which don't count against them for compensatory picks, and acquire players after the deadline instead of attacking free agency early, which also allows them to pick up depth players that don't count against them. Instead of cutting cap casualties, they trade them away.

Now the Giants. They do not trade down. They draft below the NFL average in quantity of selections per year. They are Day 1 free agent hunters of the kind that were not cut from their previous team. They spent years filling marginal roles and depth positions in free agency before the deadline was up. They cut players for cap space. They don't do anything to start the snowball effect that would allow them a steady stream of compensatory picks if things broke right.

wasn't the deadline midnight last night? when did the Pats tender him?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Yen View Post
    wasn't the deadline midnight last night? when did the Pats tender him?
    3 minutes and 28 seconds before midnight. There is a reasoning behind everything Belly does.
    Spin that Webb young Davis

Why do we want Blount? We have like 6 RBs on our roster right now. If I were to predict the chance that the Giants get Blount I'd put it at 1%.

Veteran
    that tender kinda screws blount, no?

Quote Originally Posted by compaqnigg View Post
    Why do we want Blount? We have like 6 RBs on our roster right now. If I were to predict the chance that the Giants get Blount I'd put it at 1%.
    to have a veteran running back. do you really feel comfortable with a 1 year player and a rookie as your best running backs?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Yen View Post
    to have a veteran running back. do you really feel comfortable with a 1 year player and a rookie as your best running backs?
    yes.