+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Wide receivers and injuries.........

I have been thinking about this for a while and would appreciate any hard data you all may have on the subject.

We have had a string of top receivers, get beat up badly resulting in shortened careers.

Ike Hilliard, Steve Smith, Hakeem Nick and Victor Cruz come quickly to mind.

Is this typical of most teams that their WR have such short careers?
    No one remembers who came in second.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    I have been thinking about this for a while and would appreciate any hard data you all may have on the subject.

We have had a string of top receivers, get beat up badly resulting in shortened careers.

Your language is very vague. If you want data, you should be more specific about what you would like to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyxmeth View Post
    Your language is very vague. If you want data, you should be more specific about what you would like to be found.
    I was really just looking for any data which might shed some light on the subject of whether our WR injuries are typical or atypical.

I looked at Hilliard and Nicks. Although both hung around for awhile, both hit their peak for yardage in year 3 and never got back there. Nicks never got close.

I just never thought of WR as a position where you get banged up so badly but our guys seem to.

We all know that the average career of an NFL RB is about 3.5 years. Does anyone know that figure for WR's........by team ideally?

I think we all know where this thread is headed. ;-)

But you can even add our tight ends into the mix. Mowatt, Bavaro, Shockey, Boss, and Ballard.

It will be interesting though to see if the defenseless receiver rules do in fact lengthen player's careers.

Veteran
    With all the cutting and hard planting the position is inherently susceptible to serious lower body injuries.. plus we just happen to have the worst luck.. it hasn't been just receivers though.. over the last 10 years or so we've lost more great young careers in the blink of an eye to an injury than any other team I've ever seen
    Draft day dream:
    1. Garrett Bolles LT Utah
    2. Dalvin Tomlinson DT Alabama
    3. Jake Butt TE Michigan
    4. Samaje Perine RB Oklahoma
    5. Jalen Myrick CB Minnesota
    6. Jayon Brown WLB UCLA
    7. Zane Gonzalez K Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    I think we all know where this thread is headed. ;-)

But you can even add our tight ends into the mix. Mowatt, Bavaro, Shockey, Boss, and Ballard.

It will be interesting though to see if the defenseless receiver rules do in fact lengthen player's careers.
    I wasn't going toward strength and conditioning or the new turf. Hope it doesn't devolve into that Rosey.

Hilliard was never the same after that cheap shot from that ******* in Philly.
    Nicks played hurt and I remember him getting his ankles rolled up on a tackle from behind.
    Cruz was hurt while running.
    Hixon also had a weird string of bad leg injuries.
    I don't see any pattern, just wondering really whether this is typical and I just missed the same thing going on around the league..

Life expectancy of an NFL WR compared to that of a NYG WR

Skill position players tend to tear up their knees before everyone else, but this is just from general analysis

Veteran
    I wasn't going toward strength and conditioning or the new turf. Hope it doesn't devolve into that Rosey.

Hilliard was never the same after that cheap shot from that ******* in Philly.
    Nicks played hurt and I remember him getting his ankles rolled up on a tackle from behind.
    Cruz was hurt while running.
    Hixon also had a weird string of bad leg injuries.
    I don't see any pattern, just wondering really whether this is typical and I just missed the same thing going on around the league..
    Turf has a lot to do with it (though our string of bad luck is still unusual)

When the league got rid of grass and implemented turf they traded safety for quality, on grass you will have less torn ACLs (your spikes actually have something to drive INTO, absorbing some of the impact that would otherwise all be put directly on your leg) but you will have more slippage and it's a slower surface
    Draft day dream:
    3. Jake Butt TE Michigan
    6. Jayon Brown WLB UCLA

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee718 View Post
    Life expectancy of an NFL WR compared to that of a NYG WR

Skill position players tend to tear up their knees before everyone else, but this is just from general analysis
    And the reasons for that are obvious

Though the rash of which we've had them happening to SO many players at SUCH a young age is very unusual

Also it just always happening to be pretty much our best player

Other teams don't have to deal with it with this kind of regularity (just bad luck)
    Draft day dream:
    3. Jake Butt TE Michigan
    6. Jayon Brown WLB UCLA

Veteran
    I was really just looking for any data which might shed some light on the subject of whether our WR injuries are typical or atypical.

I looked at Hilliard and Nicks. Although both hung around for awhile, both hit their peak for yardage in year 3 and never got back there. Nicks never got close.

I just never thought of WR as a position where you get banged up so badly but our guys seem to.

We all know that the average career of an NFL RB is about 3.5 years. Does anyone know that figure for WR's........by team ideally?
    Like I said previously, I don't think what you're asking for can be figured out by data unless you draw some lines in the sand about what you're looking for. How do we define a top WR? How do we separate an injury prematurely ending a career as opposed to an injury happening and then poor play ending a career? Eventually most wide receivers that were good will end up having an injury that will force retirement, so where do we cut it off age-wise? Do we include players that were already known injury risks prior to drafting/signing like an Alshon Jeffrey for the Eagles?

I could look for or conjure up data points if I knew what you wanted in a way that data could be produced. Right now you're just telling a narrative, and no one is well versed enough to tell the narratives for 31 other teams.