+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    You'd be hard pressed to find a decent WR that has not dealt with lower leg injuries......

**knocks on wood for Odell

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee718 View Post
    You'd be hard pressed to find a decent WR that has not dealt with lower leg injuries......

**knocks on wood for Odell
    Career ending ones at 25 years old.. on star players who's careers have gotten off to and incredible start

Literally yesterday a god, today toast for life, one blink of an eye, done..

Has happened to us far more than any other team, not just at receiver either, though there's a rediculous spree there alone
    Draft day dream:
    1. Garrett Bolles LT Utah
    2. Dalvin Tomlinson DT Alabama
    3. Jake Butt TE Michigan
    4. Samaje Perine RB Oklahoma
    5. Jalen Myrick CB Minnesota
    6. Jayon Brown WLB UCLA
    7. Zane Gonzalez K Arizona

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliordie View Post
    Career ending ones at 25 years old.. on star players who's careers have gotten off to and incredible start

Literally yesterday a god, today toast for life, one blink of an eye, done..

Has happened to us far more than any other team, not just at receiver either, though there's a rediculous spree there alone
    Aren't these things a bit of a snowball effect though? It takes the injury of a former player to lead into the potential for the future player to get injured. Also it could be attributed to us investing more into the position than a lot of other teams do, which puts us at risk for this happening.

I think you gotta separate the guys into to classes as there's a big difference between the guys who had one major season/career ending injury (Cruz, SS#12, Ballard) vs. those who got worn down with nagging injuries over time (Hilliard, Nicks, Bavaro)......

Nicks fall from being arguably a top 5 receiver in the game to not being able to make an NFL roster a few years later was incredible (in a bad way). It wasn't one major injury but an ankle...then a foot....then a hammy....to both hammies.....awful.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyxmeth View Post
    Aren't these things a bit of a snowball effect though? It takes the injury of a former player to lead into the potential for the future player to get injured. Also it could be attributed to us investing more into the position than a lot of other teams do, which puts us at risk for this happening.
    Well I mean.. it doesn't increase the individual odds of each player having a career ending injury, there's turnover on every unit of every team every year in the NFL, though I guess as giants fans we've been conditioned to think every player at the skill position is bound to have their career ended by injury at 25 years old , or at least a 75% likelyhood of it lol jk
    Draft day dream:
    3. Jake Butt TE Michigan
    6. Jayon Brown WLB UCLA

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayC View Post
    I think you gotta separate the guys into to classes as there's a big difference between the guys who had one major season/career ending injury (Cruz, SS#12, Ballard) vs. those who got worn down with nagging injuries over time (Hilliard, Nicks, Bavaro)......

Nicks fall from being arguably a top 5 receiver in the game to not being able to make an NFL roster a few years later was incredible (in a bad way). It wasn't one major injury but an ankle...then a foot....then a hammy....to both hammies.....awful.
    It wasn't like a slow rolling effect for Nicks though, he was a god one day and toast the very next

He was coming off his best season in a career that has trended upwards every single year, a magical playoff run, and was in the midst of the best game of his career and then BOOM in one blink of an eye the lights went out, never to be turned on again
    Last edited by Eliordie; 05-15-2017 at 03:00 PM.
    Draft day dream:
    3. Jake Butt TE Michigan
    6. Jayon Brown WLB UCLA

Veteran
    Well I mean.. it doesn't increase the individual odds of each player having a career ending injury, there's turnover on every unit of every team every year in the NFL, though I guess as giants fans we've been conditioned to think every player at the skill position is bound to have their career ended by injury at 25 years old , or at least a 75% likelyhood of it lol jk
    My point is, I think our situation is purely unique. We draft a lot of WRs fairly high, and we're probably only one of a handful of teams that do so. Other teams will either just generally not invest so much into that position in general, or will mix veterans into more important roles, which means they won't count towards what we're talking about. I could say this happened to the Ravens quite a bit with Lee Evans, Derrick Mason, Steve Smith, Mark Clayton, Breshad Perriman, etc. but we're talking about a mix of draftees and vets, because they don't exclusively build that position through the draft. Maybe the Bucs, who had Mike Williams, Michael Clayton and Arrelious Benn, Antonio Bryant, along with Vincent Jackson recently. The Vikes with Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin? Or maybe that should be the Seahawks for them, plus Tyler Lockett? The Jets with Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Eric Decker, etc.

Like I said, it's really all about building the narrative. Unless I see something otherwise, I'm decently assured that this happens a lot throughout the league, but more to us because we draft WRs both in quality and in quantity compared to most teams.
    Last edited by Onyxmeth; 05-15-2017 at 02:57 PM.

you can do this for any position on the field ... all 22

what we should be looking at is how the hell has Eli NOT been injured

And the reasons for that are obvious

Though the rash of which we've had them happening to SO many players at SUCH a young age is very unusual

Also it just always happening to be pretty much our best player

Other teams don't have to deal with it with this kind of regularity (just bad luck)
    Build your team in the trenches, control the line of scrimmage, make your QB comfortable, carry a stable of interchangeable no name receivers (like the good ol' days) - and this is not even a conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayC View Post

You could go further with this. Cruz's Injury is not from any one source. In other words it did not juts happen. Healthy Tendons just don't fail. It is cumulative micro tears that eventually leads to total rupture.
    Last edited by TEM; 05-15-2017 at 04:21 PM.