+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: PFF Ranks Eli 3rd Best QB from 2004 Draft Class......

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMike357 View Post
    Yeah anyone that defends them 100% and can't admit some things don't work out really isn't being objective about it. Their stats are awesome. Player X rushed from the right side X% of the time and got X sacks, Y hits and Z hurries is awesome that you can't find anyplace else. Even though hurries is subjective it is still a nice stat line to see and know it's nothing concrete, but gives you an idea. Now saying Player X is better than Player Y based on those stats is just foolish.

I figured players would not like it, but read up on what Bill Belichick said about it and how impossible it is to judge a guy even on his own team when he knows the exact assignment and play called.
    I have no issues with their collection of data, and as Sarcasm said earlier I can see that being of interest to people in the league and even the fan who enjoys that sort of thing. My derision has always been with their ratings.

I don't know if I mentioned it early but I could easily see Belichick as one who uses their service simply because he doesn't have a large staff.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    problem is no one has any idea what their "data" is. At best they give a general overview of what is taken into consideration, not the specifics. Let's say they by some miracle are able to get all the key metrics right. The other problem is that i doubt they have the $$$ to afford even one high quality professional quant to come up with all these formulas. Those guys aren't cheap. Plus any quant worth his salt would be on Wall St not some hack job company for sports.

Here's how they grade a pass. Get ready cause this is good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post

I hate to bury a hatchet into PFF cause I like them, but there is another major issue I have. The vast majority of ratings fall in the -1 to +1 range, with a very few +-2. I just think sports is more variable than basically "good" or "bad". Like you said though the rankings are flawed not the stats.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    While I don't necessarily agree with the rankings, SBs are irrelevant when deciding which individual players are better than others. Dan Marino has no rings, do you consider Dilfer to be better than him?
    Can't argue with this at all. However I still think Eli is better than Rivers though. Also Drew Brees who has only one ring IMO is better than all 3 qbs. I know Brees is not a popular name around here but these are my feelings and my feelings say that Brees is right under Brady and Rodgers.

Marino is definitely better than all of the active Qbs in todays NFL with Brady being the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMike357 View Post
    I hate to bury a hatchet into PFF cause I like them, but there is another major issue I have. The vast majority of ratings fall in the -1 to +1 range, with a very few +-2. I just think sports is more variable than basically "good" or "bad". Like you said though the rankings are flawed not the stats.
    Looks to me the reason behind that has to do with the moment or game itself. They are using examples of a Championship game and Super Bowl to warrant the most extreme grades.

Based on that criteria so many great plays would not qualify as 2's simply because it happened in the regular season. Like Odell's catch for instance.

I can tell you the exact moment PFF lost all credibility in my eyes....the Cowboys opener last year Eli threw one pick on a wrong route but still tossed 3 TD's and hit at a 68% clip.....he got a below average PFF grade (link below).....hysterical. Let's say the pick was Eli's fault (might have been even with the wrong route being run). You're telling me one errant throw/decision warranted a below average grade?!?!?!? GTFOH!!!! PFF is the biggest joke on the planet.....it USED TO BE decent but now their so called "analytics" are based on "should have's", "would have's" and "could have's."

- https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro...ne-on-defense/

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayC View Post
    I can tell you the exact moment PFF lost all credibility in my eyes....the Cowboys opener last year Eli threw one pick on a wrong route but still tossed 3 TD's and hit at a 68% clip.....he got a below average PFF grade (link below).....hysterical. Let's say the pick was Eli's fault (might have been even with the wrong route being run). You're telling me one errant throw/decision warranted a below average grade?!?!?!? GTFOH!!!! PFF is the biggest joke on the planet.....it USED TO BE decent but now their so called "analytics" are based on "should have's", "would have's" and "could have's."

- https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro...ne-on-defense/
    Chris Collinsworthless is an owner. Thats all you need to know.
    Spin that Webb young Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post

My head just exploded, a la Scanners...
    I write differently from what I speak, I speak differently from what I think, I think differently from the way I ought to think, and so it all proceeds into deepest darkness.
    ― Franz Kafka

Veteran
    PFF only seems to be modertaively relevant around here when it fits into ones preexisting biases.

There's nothing more human than that, I suppose

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    Eli......great at times , good at times, bad at times.
    Overall a well above average player and franchise QB. Prob HOFr too.

Whats is this such a debate?

He didn't turn out to be his brother, hurt a lot of feelings...

+ Reply to Thread