+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
Results 241 to 246 of 246

Thread: PFF Ranks Eli 3rd Best QB from 2004 Draft Class......

  1. #241
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,916
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayC View Post
    If we're talking literal numbers and 4th QTR comebacks....he's actually #2.....but for a game to qualify it just means they have to be down in the 4th quarter.....so down 1 with 14:59 left in the 4th and already on the other teams 1 yard line already would qualify.....it also doesn't indicate how the team came back...for instance was it a miracle Tom Brady play or a 99 yard run by the RB. So the comeback stat (as all stats) are skewed....

    Again just my opinion but I'd put Eli higher in the clutch category with Brady wayyyyy higher in the overall QB category.
    I agree that 4th quarter comeback can be skewed but what Brady did in his last 2 Super Bowl runs was unheard of. He's the only Qb to comeback from double digit leads in the 4th quarter to win a Super Bowl. I don't know if we will ever see that again. That to me is the epitome of clutch.

  2. #242
    Veteran BlueJayC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hoboken, NJ
    Posts
    2,287
    Quote Originally Posted by jay051 View Post
    I agree that 4th quarter comeback can be skewed but what Brady did in his last 2 Super Bowl runs was unheard of. He's the only Qb to comeback from double digit leads in the 4th quarter to win a Super Bowl. I don't know if we will ever see that again. That to me is the epitome of clutch.
    If he was a great QB his team wouldn't be down by double digits in the 4th!!!! (kidding of course)

    I'm not saying I 100% agree with this article (from 2012) but it ironically popped up as I was looking up the comeback stats. - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ce-joe-montana (http:// bleacherreport.com /articles /1211729-ny-giants-eli-manning-is-the-most-clutch-quarterback-since-joe-montana

  3. #243
    Historically I think Eli is one of the most clutch QBs ever within the 2 minutes of each half down by a score to either tie or win. I'd take him in that situation over almost anyone - save Marino. The other 56 minutes however .... uhm....yeah ....relatively not so hot.

    Eli's most redeeming factor when it comes to other franchise QBs I think was his clutch factor. Without it, he becomes rather pedestrian.

  4. #244
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    Historically I think Eli is one of the most clutch QBs ever within the 2 minutes of each half down by a score to either tie or win. I'd take him in that situation over almost anyone - save Marino. The other 56 minutes however .... uhm....yeah ....relatively not so hot.

    Eli's most redeeming factor when it comes to other franchise QBs I think was his clutch factor. Without it, he becomes rather pedestrian.
    Even as recently as 5-6 years ago, I would have taken Eli over pretty much every QB in the final 2 minutes of a big game

    Now? Hell no. He's nowhere near as clutch as he once was, and he doesn't make anywhere near the number of plays that he needs to make to win games. He just doesn't, and hasn't for a few seasons.
    I write differently from what I speak, I speak differently from what I think, I think differently from the way I ought to think, and so it all proceeds into deepest darkness.
    ― Franz Kafka

  5. #245
    All-Pro Sarcasman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Manussa Loka
    Posts
    17,746
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    Historically I think Eli is one of the most clutch QBs ever within the 2 minutes of each half down by a score to either tie or win. I'd take him in that situation over almost anyone - save Marino. The other 56 minutes however .... uhm....yeah ....relatively not so hot.

    Eli's most redeeming factor when it comes to other franchise QBs I think was his clutch factor. Without it, he becomes rather pedestrian.

    I agree. Don't know whether it's age or that there was no talent around him. Maybe both.

    I guess we'll find out this year if the line can at least be a bit better than average.

  6. #246
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Die-Hard View Post
    Even as recently as 5-6 years ago, I would have taken Eli over pretty much every QB in the final 2 minutes of a big game

    Now? Hell no. He's nowhere near as clutch as he once was, and he doesn't make anywhere near the number of plays that he needs to make to win games. He just doesn't, and hasn't for a few seasons.
    This. Its been a long while.

    The problem with Eli is he's so boom or bust. Theres never, ever been any consistency in his game. Other than 2011.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts