+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 107
  1. #91
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Yen View Post
    Your Telling me if we signed Blount before the 9th of May we would have had to give up the same draft pick then after the 9th? then why before the 9th did it seem like there was mutual interest between Blount and the Giants and the media seemed to think he was all but going to the Giants and after the 9th of May not so much? Look I will admit I don't get every rule that pertains to this but what you are saying makes no sense from what I observed.
    We wouldn't be giving up a draft pick. That's not how the compensatory draft selection works. Every year the NFL awards 32 compensatory draft picks to teams that essentially lose more free agents than they gained. You'll find these picks at the ends of Rounds 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7. The round that your compensatory pick falls to depends on the size of the contract another team gave to the player you lost in free agency. You can have up to four compensatory picks per year. This has nothing to do with the 7 picks every team starts with in the draft from Rounds 1-7 that have to do with your record.

    So every free agent on the market that qualifies under this formula as a free agent loss for a team will count in this formula until May 9th. Then all remaining free agents do not count under this formula. Blount counted and Hankins counted, and to keep it simple those are the only two players you need to know about. When you read that we had interest in Blount, what they were probably waiting for if that was true is for the May 9th deadline to expire, and then sign him so the signing doesn't get used against them in the formula that calculates any potential compensatory picks we may get in 2018. The reason why it's important is because Hankins signing with the Colts is expected to get the team a 4th round compensatory pick. However, if we sign Blount while he counts also, those two players cancel each other and we don't get the pick.

    Now here's where the tender comes in. Blount was no longer going to count against any team signing him after May 9th, and so would not count for the Patriots as a loss in their formula, which means one less potential pick for them. What they did was put a tender on him that extended that deadline, so instead of May 9th being the day that teams with compensatory picks on the line could sign him, now they can't sign him at all without putting one of those picks at risk. The Eagles have no compensatory picks for next year because they signed a lot of free agents this year, so signing him doesn't matter from their perspective.

  2. #92
    whatever. didn't need him anyway imo.

    probably half *** it like he did when pittsburg signed him

  3. #93
    How this thread got moved to general sports is beyond me

  4. #94
    All-Pro Sarcasman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Manussa Loka
    Posts
    17,756
    Quote Originally Posted by jmike View Post
    blunt?
    That's what he smokes

  5. #95
    Veteran TEM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Yen View Post
    Its one thing to say you didn't want him or It was never realistic to think we could sign him, but He went to the Eagles now he will kill us whenever he plays us you guys do realize this don't you? Are there any other running backs out there In free agency worth getting? This really just ruined my day and made me really depressed. At least I got my Yankees latter and we are In first place!
    The sky is falling.

  6. #96
    All-Pro SG88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Posts
    31,347
    Quote Originally Posted by rcrane View Post
    How this thread got moved to general sports is beyond me
    Well it isn't giants related and he does not play for the giants. Maybe that's why it got moved.

  7. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyxmeth View Post
    We wouldn't be giving up a draft pick. That's not how the compensatory draft selection works. Every year the NFL awards 32 compensatory draft picks to teams that essentially lose more free agents than they gained. You'll find these picks at the ends of Rounds 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7. The round that your compensatory pick falls to depends on the size of the contract another team gave to the player you lost in free agency. You can have up to four compensatory picks per year. This has nothing to do with the 7 picks every team starts with in the draft from Rounds 1-7 that have to do with your record.

    So every free agent on the market that qualifies under this formula as a free agent loss for a team will count in this formula until May 9th. Then all remaining free agents do not count under this formula. Blount counted and Hankins counted, and to keep it simple those are the only two players you need to know about. When you read that we had interest in Blount, what they were probably waiting for if that was true is for the May 9th deadline to expire, and then sign him so the signing doesn't get used against them in the formula that calculates any potential compensatory picks we may get in 2018. The reason why it's important is because Hankins signing with the Colts is expected to get the team a 4th round compensatory pick. However, if we sign Blount while he counts also, those two players cancel each other and we don't get the pick.

    Now here's where the tender comes in. Blount was no longer going to count against any team signing him after May 9th, and so would not count for the Patriots as a loss in their formula, which means one less potential pick for them. What they did was put a tender on him that extended that deadline, so instead of May 9th being the day that teams with compensatory picks on the line could sign him, now they can't sign him at all without putting one of those picks at risk. The Eagles have no compensatory picks for next year because they signed a lot of free agents this year, so signing him doesn't matter from their perspective.
    then why before the deadline on what was it the 9th of May we were odds on favorite to Land Blount but after the Deadline we weren't going to get him because of the compensatory pick? Everybody in the media was talking about it including Kimberly Jones and Paul Dottino. my understanding is If we would have signed Blount we lose the compensatory draft pick from Losing Hankins, that is what Kimberly Jones and Dottino said.
    Last edited by Donnie Yen; 05-17-2017 at 10:05 PM.

  8. #98
    Veteran TEM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Yen View Post
    then why before the deadline on what was it the 9th of May we were odds on favorite to Land Blount but after the Deadline we weren't going to get him because of the compensatory pick? Everybody in the media was talking about it including Kimberly Jones and Paul Dottino.
    I wanted Blount also
    To answer your question . It is not smart to give up a pick on a rent a player. The Giants were probably not going to give him more then a one year deal. If they did, the guaranteed money would have been minimal so they could terminate his contract at the end of the season.

  9. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by TEM View Post
    I wanted Blount also
    To answer your question . It is not smart to give up a pick on a rent a player. The Giants were probably not going to give him more then a one year deal. If they did, the guaranteed money would have been minimal so they could terminate his contract at the end of the season.
    I think what I am getting at here Is forget the notion of a Draft Pick a couple of weeks ago the Giants and Blount had mutual interest and the Giants dragged there feet in the mud waited to long and once the deadline happened we lost any realistic chance to get him. IMHO Reese had a bad offseason. last offseason he did good by fortifying our defense.

  10. #100
    Veteran TEM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Yen View Post
    I think what I am getting at here Is forget the notion of a Draft Pick a couple of weeks ago the Giants and Blount had mutual interest and the Giants dragged there feet in the mud waited to long and once the deadline happened we lost any realistic chance to get him. IMHO Reese had a bad offseason. last offseason he did good by fortifying our defense.
    He spent the money he had. JPP tied up a big portion of the cap. I am not happy with the Fluker deal but he was the best choice for the money they had to spend. We have a lot of young talent competing on that O-line this year JJ is 5 years older the next youngest guy (Justin Pugh). 8 players on the o- line 26 and under. That is an encouraging sign. Just because it was reported from this source or that source is no guarantee that Reese was even going to make an offer to Blount. After the tender there was no way he was going forward.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts