+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Are the Giants planning to use 1st-round pick Evan Engram the wrong way?

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "The Giants can't seem to decide on a label for first-round pick Evan Engram.

When Jerry Reese stepped to the podium moments after the Giants took Engram with the 23rd pick in this year's draft, the general manager started with a brief description of the 6-foot-3, 236-pounder.

"Evan Engram, tight end, H-back, Ole Miss," Reese said.

But coach Ben McAdoo dismissed the H-back label when he was asked if Engram would be used at the position last Friday before the first practice of rookie minicamp.

"I don't know what an H-back is," McAdoo said. "He will play tight end for us and we will use him where he's comfortable and where he can grow." Read more...
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 05-17-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

An H-back is an offensive position in American football. The H-back lines up similarly to a tight end, but is "set back" from the line of scrimmage, and is thus counted as one of the four "backs" in the offensive formation.

Get your **** together Mac
    "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
    "No...I didn't."
    "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBigBlue View Post
    An H-back is an offensive position in American football. The H-back lines up similarly to a tight end, but is "set back" from the line of scrimmage, and is thus counted as one of the four "backs" in the offensive formation.

MACADOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODLE!

https://www.google.com/search?q=blar...QT4pLQIJWvxwM:

vs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ben+...V2dyJKbP7QwuM:

Oh...God
    Mood: WOOF!

Yeah kind of a goofy response. I guess one could argue there is no such thing as an HBack position label for a player. Similar to how we don't call anyone a tailback or halfback anymore and instead just say runningback. This entire "he lined up in the slot 50% of the time so he is a big WR" stigma is complete crap. He was in-line 35% of the time. How many WRs in college or the NFL line up "in-line" 1/3 of the time? Zero. This article is based on 1 mans opinion of the "right way" to use him. It's an opinion though.

He play TE in college, he was drafted as a TE and Mac is going to try his best to make him a TE in the NFL. Whether that is successful or not will be determined on the field, not by an analyst and not on these boards.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

labels are the entire problem

the kid is perfect for the offense and will be used accordingly

he is what has been missing from the passing attack

there was no one to threaten the seam

Stats are for losers, same goes for titles.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime View Post
    Stats are for losers, same goes for titles.
    Can't argue with that logic, worked last year.
    "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
    "No...I didn't."
    "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    labels are the entire problem

the kid is perfect for the offense and will be used accordingly

he is what has been missing from the passing attack

there was no one to threaten the seam
    I could be wrong about this so I'll ask the resident guru. When you WANT a TE to play H-back isn't a major requirement/hope his ability to block
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I could be wrong about this so I'll ask the resident guru. When you WANT a TE to play H-back isn't a major requirement/hope his ability to block
    that depends on a lot of things ... no one plays strictly H back

H back is simply part of a set in a specific formation

that set will not always be there

this kid will have to block from a lot of his sets ... including with his hand on the ground

and he will ... he will learn how to block well

I think people are freaking out over his blocking skill for no reason ... he wasn't asked to be a blocker at Miss ... that doesn't mean he cannot and will not learn to be better at it

this kid is big

I stood about 3 feet from him the other day ... he is big and thick ... thicker than say Brandon Marshall ... and he will probably put on a few pounds as well

his blocking will be fine ...