+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I could be wrong about this so I'll ask the resident guru. When you WANT a TE to play H-back isn't a major requirement/hope his ability to block
    Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    that depends on a lot of things ... no one plays strictly H back

H back is simply part of a set in a specific formation

that set will not always be there

this kid will have to block from a lot of his sets ... including with his hand on the ground

and he will ... he will learn how to block well

I think people are freaking out over his blocking skill for no reason ... he wasn't asked to be a blocker at Miss ... that doesn't mean he cannot and will not learn to be better at it

this kid is big

I stood about 3 feet from him the other day ... he is big and thick ... thicker than say Brandon Marshall ... and he will probably put on a few pounds as well

his blocking will be fine ...
    Wow I can't believe how off base this entire post is
    Mood: WOOF!

I think people are freaking out over his blocking skill for no reason ... he wasn't asked to be a blocker at Miss ... that doesn't mean he cannot and will not learn to be better at it
    Agreed 100%. And when he was asked to block at Ole Miss he did a fine job. The only issues I have seen on his college tape is when he was trying to "pull" from one side to the other and locate his assignment. IMO this board underestimates Ellisons ability to catch and Engrams ability to block. Can't wait for the season, I think both are outstanding TEs.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

labels are the entire problem

the kid is perfect for the offense and will be used accordingly

he is what has been missing from the passing attack

there was no one to threaten the seam
    If I were the coaches, I'd push hard to label him a TE. This way, if he pans out and is as good as we hope he is, we pay him like a top notch TE and not a top notch WR.
    NFL Draft (Realistic Hope):

Rd 1
    Garrett Bolles - OT
    David Njoku - TE
    Zach Cunningham - OLB

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Rudy's drunk.......again.
    I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

lol MacAdoo has a little Belichick in him.

Engram is probably more suited for the MacAdoo/McCarthy system than any player we currently have. Even Odell Beckham. Being able to threaten the seam is essential for this thing to work.
    Last edited by TE88; 05-19-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Veteran

+1

He'll play whatever "position" Jimmy Graham or Jordan Reed or Delani Walker or Charles Clay plays

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    hahahahaha,,, great stuff right there

love it

Agreed. People are assuming he's going to be misused like Beckham was but this is an entirely different coaching staff and scheme than back then. Engram will (hopefully) be what the team hoped Donnell would become. And ultra athletic big target that can line up in multiple spots on the field to create mismatches.

About the only limitation Engram has is as an in-line power blocker. Ask him to take on a DE 1 on 1 on a running play and he's not going to fair well. But, they can ask him to chip a DE, crack back on a LBer, have him and an OT double team a DE on the edge, block a safety in the box, there's bunches of ways he can help there with proper technique.

But, where he'll really hurt defenses is that, if they man up a LBer on him, he can be flexed out wide and kill him in single coverage. He can go over the top of a safety up the seam.

There's lots of possibilities. Heck, they should just watch a ton of Saints tape with Jimmy Graham and copy a lot of that.
    All Hail The New York Giants!!

Engram will be used like Gates TD's and first downs all season long.
    Originally Posted by jmike

"Barry Sanders has the most negative yardage plays of any player in NFL history by a comfortable margin. He was the major contributor to their biggest offensive issues... Honestly the single most overrated player in any sport ever has to be Barry Sanders. Well, if winning games is your goal. If you want highlights though, he's your man."

We'll see what happens. This kid is an very good receiver. Seems like he's a decent blocker already. Size doesn't indicate everything. Shannon Sharpe was smaller and a good player. Larry Donnell was a giant and not a very good player. Time will tell but he will at least provide a demension they prob never had at the TE spot.