+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Football Outsiders: Giants will only win eight games

Quote Originally Posted by Onyxmeth View Post
    You might have to elaborate. Are you just anti- any statistics or metrics in general? It seems like it would be a daunting task to be able to compare players across an entire league without attempting to put eyes to math in various ways. I have an open mind though. What's your approach or how do you get a sense of the league as a whole?

Why would I need to elaborate? If you're interested in what they do, google their site and knock yourself out. I understand some folks find it interesting, and that's fine for them. I do not because primarily I do not see any value proposition to it. And I find the notion that there is implied validity preposterous. Although I do understand the necessity of that from a marketing perspective.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasman View Post
    Why would I need to elaborate? If you're interested in what they do, google their site and knock yourself out. I understand some folks find it interesting, and that's fine for them. I do not because primarily I do not see any value proposition to it. And I find the notion that there is implied validity preposterous. Although I do understand the necessity of that from a marketing perspective.
    Fair enough. Do you just not like the idea of comparing players in general? I'm not sure on your ultimate take. If I were to ask you who you do trust, what opinions you value, whether you just watch 500+ games a year, or whether you just have no interest in any of this beyond watching the Giants play on Sundays, where do you lean?

Quote Originally Posted by Onyxmeth View Post
    Fair enough. Do you just not like the idea of comparing players in general? I'm not sure on your ultimate take. If I were to ask you who you do trust, what opinions you value, whether you just watch 500+ games a year, or whether you just have no interest in any of this beyond watching the Giants play on Sundays, where do you lean?
    No, I just don't have much interest in comparing players because it has very little meaning in an interdependent team sport.

Particularly in a team sport that some consider the most complex major spectator sport to understand beyond the level of following the ball. Because some consider it the most difficult to take in with a single viewing of each play because of how much length and width of field to take in and how much pre-snap and post-snap there is. With so many possible variations hinging on the interdependency of the performance of 11 different players on the field, I have very little interest in the validity of the idea that individual statistics can be extracted into a meaningful analysis.

My opinion is that while baseball may lend itself to this type of analysis elegantly, it is just not true of all sports.

There goes the season. Why should they even show up?

No, I just don't have much interest in comparing players because it has very little meaning in an interdependent team sport.

Particularly in a team sport that some consider the most complex major spectator sport to understand beyond the level of following the ball. Because some consider it the most difficult to take in with a single viewing of each play because of how much length and width of field to take in and how much pre-snap and post-snap there is. With so many possible variations hinging on the interdependency of the performance of 11 different players on the field, I have very little interest in the validity of the idea that individual statistics can be extracted into a meaningful analysis.

My opinion is that while baseball may lend itself to this type of analysis elegantly, it is just not true of all sports.
    All these shops....PFF....Football Outsiders.....are jokes....their analytics are garbage.....you want true analytics and metrics? Find out what formula Vegas uses to set their lines.....

Giants will win 8 games..... in the first half of the season.
    Spin that Webb young Davis

only 8 wins by thanksgiving maybe

Great post. Yeah, in a game like baseball, a batter steps into the box and there's practically zero interdependency from his teammates, in most cases.

Unless you have Rickey Henderson on your team, that is.

If your making a football prediction, why not make one in say late August, right before the season? There are injuries that can happen. June 1st cuts. Maybe a free agent signed...

+ Reply to Thread