+ Reply to Thread

Why don't we see this kind of analysis more?

am i just a huge football geek for finding this stuff intensely interesting?

breakdown of the manningham reception (link below). Facts i wouldn't know without this piece:

Every DB coach in the NFL teaches their CBs to re-route (jam) No. 1 and force an inside release in Cover 2. It takes stress off the deep half safety and allows him to stay on top of his landmark (top of the numbers)

This is what you are taught as a deep half safety in Cover 2. An outside release (outside of the numbers) equals two routes: fade or comeback. That's it. There isn't another route scheme in an NFL playbook that is run with a vertical steam outside of the numbers.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1ldK2FChW

Re: Why don't we see this kind of analysis more?

[quote user="CDN_G-FAN"]

am i just a huge football geek for finding this stuff intensely interesting?

breakdown of the manningham reception (link below).* Facts i wouldn't know without this piece:

Every DB coach in the NFL teaches their CBs to re-route (jam) No. 1 and force an inside release in Cover 2. It takes stress off the deep half safety and allows him to stay on top of his landmark (top of the numbers)

This is what you are taught as a deep half safety in Cover 2. An outside release (outside of the numbers) equals two routes: fade or comeback. That's it. There isn't another route scheme in an NFL playbook that is run with a vertical steam outside of the numbers.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1ldK2FChW

[/quote]

The article mis-labels it has a fade. It was a go route.

It was a really low percentage throw of either the receiver catching it, or it getting picked off by the Safety (because he's moving laterally towards the sideline).

It was a tremendous throw and an even better catch.

It's also a poor setup without running 4 wide and/or having the Z on the same side to draw off the Free Safety.

9 times out of 10 that's a pass you see sail into the sidelines.
    I have met you. You dont even look good in a winter coat let alone a wet t-shirt... -GameTime