+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What if plax didn't shoot himself?

i know some giants fans still resent plax because of the shooting when it seemed the giants who was 11-1 at the time was poised for a repeat. here's what i have to say, things happen for a reason. if plax doesn't shoot himself the giants may have won back to back and may have not retooled its receiving corp. in 2011 we would've had a much older and slower burress playing along side hixon, steve and mario but more important we probably don't draft hakeem in april of 09. ever since plax, toomer left after the 08 season (shockey 07), eli overall numbers have risen because he now had wr and te that were willing to work and understand the giants streak and read principle offense, instead of staying in Miami (plax/shockey) or go on month long vacations (toomer) where eli was left working with practice squad players. all of eli bad games early in his career was because his wr and te were not on the same page as the qb and its well documented, but he never called out any of wr and te for running the wrong routes in their site adjustment pass offense.

this is his team now and has been since 09 after all the old vets and cancers left. they're all young from nicks, mario, cruz, ballard, pascoe and beckhum and guess what terrel and jonthan comes back next year. they will contend the next 5 to 7 years if they're healthy and if reese keeps finding players to fill needs. where if burress didn't shoot himself they would've have had to find free agents or draft new players to start over around this time.

So yeah the night club incident may have cost a chance for a repeat but what it gave us instead was a chance to win more super bowls with this current group of players for the next 5 to 7 years.

Veteran

Re: What if plax didn't shoot himself?

[quote user="NYtoSanDiego"]i know some giants fans still resent plax because of the shooting when it seemed the giants who was 11-1 at the time was poised for a repeat. here's what i have to say, things happen for a reason. if plax doesn't shoot himself the giants may have won back to back and may have not retooled its receiving corp. in 2011 we would've had a much older and slower burress playing along side hixon, steve and mario but more important we probably don't draft hakeem in april of 09. ever since plax, toomer left after the 08 season (shockey 07), eli overall numbers have risen because he now had wr and te that were willing to work and understand the giants streak and read principle offense, instead of staying in Miami (plax/shockey) or go on month long vacations (toomer) where eli was left working with practice squad players. all of eli bad games early in his career was because his wr and te were not on the same page as the qb and its well documented, but he never called out any of wr and te for running the wrong routes in their site adjustment pass offense. this is his team now and has been since 09 after all the old vets and cancers left. they're all young from nicks, mario, cruz, ballard, pascoe and beckhum and guess what terrel and jonthan comes back next year. they will contend the next 5 to 7 years if they're healthy and if reese keeps finding players to fill needs. where if burress didn't shoot himself they would've have had to find free agents or draft new players to start over around this time. So yeah the night club incident may have cost a chance for a repeat but what it gave us instead was a chance to win more super bowls with this current group of players for the next 5 to 7 years.[/quote]

This is one of the best persepectivesI have everread on this topic. It is refreshing and dead on accurate. Well stated and excellent post. I will add that Plaxico was not having a geat season up until the incident. His presence on the field was important but his output wasn't all that great from a receiving standpoint.

Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

what this year has taught me is having an awesome regular season record doesn't leave you posed to repeat.

Veteran

Really don't want to say anything..because it sounds bad.

But I'm glad things worked out the way it did.

ive always thought about the 08 season and the what ifs. yeah we were poised for a back to back run but after last night the giants are in a better place to win more than two now than then.

Veteran

Without a doubt, this team is much tighter without Plax, Shockey and Barber undercutting what Coughlin was trying to instill in this team.

I don't think it is a coincidence that Eli has taken a huge step forward as both a player and a leader, now that those ***-hatsare gone.

I know Barber said bad things about the Giants and Eli after he left but Tiki Barber always gave 100% on the field. Tiki Barber was a beast in his career and could run and receive. Plax didn't give it his all in his career. Neither did Shockey and he whined a lot.

If the Giants don't win the last regular game in 2006, the Giants don't make the playoffs and Coughlin is fired. What did Tiki Barber do in that last regular season game vs Skins? He ran for 234 yards with 3 rushing TDs and 24 receiving yards. Giants win 34-28. Tiki Barber had 1662 rushing yards and like 500 receiving yards in his last season.

The Eli from 2004-2006 is nothing like the championship 2007-2012 Eli..... In his early career, he had lot of "me" guys like Shockey so maybe it effected his leadership skills. I think Eli grew into a leader once a couple of the other stars left and his skills improved compared to his first couple years as well. I don't think it is so crazy or insulting when Barber said he had some doubt about his leadership skills or that Toomer had to make acrobat catches. The early Eli (leadership and skill) is nothing like the Eli from 2007 and beyond. Not every QB just jumps in the NFL and throws 4,000 yards and +30 TDs right away. It takes a couple years for some to reach their potential.

Veteran

Nfl network should do documentary about this. LOL

what is Hitler had not invaded Poland in 1939 ?

Non Omnis Moriar