+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: So who we drafting?

[quote user="Neverend"]Yeah. Fleener reminds me exactly of Olsen. Me personally, I want a TE that may not have the burst/speed of a Fleener but one with very strong hands and elite body control. Therefore, I'd prefer a Dwayne Allen. Granted his body control isn't on a Jermichael Finley level, but I think he's much better making catches in traffic, on jump balls, and overall tight coverage. I'd be very happy with either.

Hey, since Manningham might be gone... I wouldn't put it past the giants towards drafting a receiver? Since we do have a history of BPA, it wouldn't shock me if Alshon Jeffery or Sanu drops to 32 and the giants pick either[/quote]
    I'm not as high on Allen as most seem to be. To me he seems like a rather ordinary athlete and not the real stretch the field guy that teams look for in an early round TE. Personally I have Fleener and Orson Charles above him.

As for Sanu, he does look sick, but with Nicks and Cruz in the fold i just don't see WR as a 1st round priority. Only so many balls to go around

[quote user="Neverend"]Yeah. Fleener reminds me exactly of Olsen. Me personally, I want a TE that may not have the burst/speed of a Fleener but one with very strong hands and elite body control. Therefore, I'd prefer a Dwayne Allen. Granted his body control isn't on a Jermichael Finley level, but I think he's much better making catches in traffic, on jump balls, and overall tight coverage. I'd be very happy with either.

Hey, since Manningham might be gone... I wouldn't put it past the giants towards drafting a receiver? Since we do have a history of BPA, it wouldn't shock me if Alshon Jeffery or Sanu drops to 32 and the giants pick either[/quote]
    Also imo Fleener's hand strength and body control are superior to Allens (Body control by a landslide).

For an example of hand strenght did you see his one handed grab
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_eAaWcaRiU

I say we go O-line. Peter Konz at C is my favorite at the spot. I could also see Cordy Glenn as our next RT. Other names to watch:

Chase Minniefield

Alphonso Dennard

Vontaze Burfict

Alshon Jeffery

Dwayne Allen

Johnathin Martin

Whitney Mercilus

Nick Perry

Mohamed Sanu.

[quote user="juice33s"][quote user="Neverend"]Yeah. Fleener reminds me exactly of Olsen. Me personally, I want a TE that may not have the burst/speed of a Fleener but one with very strong hands and elite body control. Therefore, I'd prefer a Dwayne Allen. Granted his body control isn't on a Jermichael Finley level, but I think he's much better making catches in traffic, on jump balls, and overall tight coverage. I'd be very happy with either.

Also imo Fleener's hand strength and body control are superior to Allens (Body control by a landslide).

For an example of hand strenght did you see his one handed grab
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_eAaWcaRiU
    [/quote]

Hm, thats a great play to back up your opinion. Still, ive seen some stanford games this year where they've tried to throw jump balls in the red zone for Fleener and he didn't display the type of elite hand strength/body contorting skills to make a catch with a DB all over him. Allen may not be the type of route runner Fleener is nor does he have his speed, but he has shown more often to make plays by plucking the ball out of his frame in traffic and against tight man coverage as oppose to Fleener who makes his plays by getting wide open separation (credit to him, obviously)

My dream scenario would be to go after Dont'a Hightower with our first pick if he's still available.... then somehow land Jermichael Finley. What I think will actually happen though is the Steelers or Ravens will take Hightower and we'll go after Allen or Fleener. If we pass on Fleener and go TE in the 2nd, I'd be REALLY happy with Orson Charles. He doesn't have the size that Fleener has but he can make plays with his quickness and athleticism... and he can make plays after the catch.

Bench Player

After this year I think that more and more teams will look for a good TE to add to their offense and I wouldn't be too surprised if a team grabs a TE in the 20-30 range. If that is Allen or Fleener i can't say but I don't think that both will be available when it's Giants time to pick.

I wouldn't mind a TE but i'd rather go adding to the OL. Eli got hit a lot this season and our running game was really bad. Imagine Eli with a tad more time to make decisions and add a better running game to that. Now that could be a new Super Bowl team!

With that said, OL is the way to go.

Too early to say really.

As it stands now we have no TEs on the roster for starting day next year and we could lose Manningham to FA as well.

That would leave a huge hole in both the passing game and the running game.

If we resign Pascoe and Ballard the need at the TE position drops significantly, but it is still a need. It just drop the need from a major priority to a secondary depth need. A guy like Egnew could help fill the role of Beckum and Manningham as a outside guy and we could get in later in the draft(barring an insane combine.)

If we resign 1 of the 2, it is still a pretty significant need position unless we sign some other FA.

And of course if somebody offers them both outlandish contracts and we cant bring them back, it becomes THE primary need.

So, it all depends on what happens in FA. We dont have a lot of money to throw around, but we are the SB champs and people like to play for winners. So, lets see how it goes.

I do think addressing our aging Oline is a huge need as well. Those 2 positions are my core concerns right now, with a few others falling in line behind them.

I won't complain if we go OL early, but I think there are some guys that we could get late that have some great potential. Senio Kelemete and James Brown are some 3rd-4th round guys I like and Marcus Zusevics is a later round guy that has A LOT of potential. Very athletic, great feet, smart player but needs to add strength. Brandon Washington' stock has dropped this year but he'd be an great guard that we could get in a middle round. Antoine McClain & Blake DeChristopher could be decent options in the later rounds.

[quote user="BlueSanta"]If we resign Pascoe and Ballard the need at the TE position drops significantly, but it is still a need.[/quote]

Ballard also tore his ACL in the superbowl.

Neither will be ready for next season.

Only TE on the roster is UFA Pascoe.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="BlueSanta"]If we resign Pascoe and Ballard the need at the TE position drops significantly, but it is still a need.[/quote]

Ballard also tore his ACL in the superbowl.

Neither will be ready for next season.

Only TE on the roster is UFA Pascoe.[/quote]

Ahh...I hadnt read the update. I severely doubted it was just a sprain though.Thats sad to hear for him. I hope his well earned big fat ring keeps his spirits up.