+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    All-Pro

Cruz and Free Agency, Who Gets Left Out?

I'm singling Cruz out because he obviously needs to get paid significantly more then he is now. All of a sudden we have an unforeseen star and someone needs to be left out when it comes to free agency.

Ok, a portion of our free agency picture is like below.

2012 - TT, Ross, Manningham among others.

2013 - KP, Cruz, Beatty,

2014 - Nicks, Tuck, Boley, Webster, Joseph

Given that teams can usually splurge on only one big contract a year (I am completely guesstimating) , unless they've been saving cap space for a couple years (ie Eagles, or Pats from thsi year - they are 20 million under), it's safe to say we won't be able to resign half of the guys above.

For fun, let's say that makes3 big contracts and that all of them ARGUABLY are worth big contracts (6 mil +). Which three do you choose? You accumulate 1 big contract per year. Meaning, you can wait until 2014 and sign 3 assuming you sign noone prior. In 2013, you get 2 if you don't sign anyone prior. In 2012 you have only 1.

Me personally? I resign no-one in 2012. I resign Cruz in 2013. I resign Nicks And tuck in 2014.

And I know i'm totally simplifying things. This is just an excersize to get people to think a bit on who we really want to pay and who we don't. In an ideal world, we want to resign everyone. Unfortunately, we can't do that.

Re: Cruz and Free Agency, Who Gets Left Out?

Well, it's unrealistic to think you can put off giving Cruz a new deal. The kid earned it and he should get it NOW.

TT, pardon the pun, doesn't have a leg to stand on until he's 100%. He'll have to take what we offer or he goes the Steve Smith route. I love the guy, but we have bigger fish to fry.

I hate to say it, but MM is probably gone.

Ross will get a fair offer that's good for both and will probably take it.

And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, **** waffles.......G Carlin

I wouldn't be suprised if Manningham ends up in New England ironically. He does deserve a nice payday and will get one somewhere. Just doubt that it is here
    Close or you hit the bricks

theres no reason to pay cruz now.

Look at steve smith... had a 100 catch season, the giants held off on a contract, he gets hurt.

Bench Player

Nice post. I don't think anyone over $2 million or so will get resigned this year - at a stretch I can see them going somewhere like Nicks money for Manningham but that is the basic ceiling - I can't see JR and co giving a third WR more than the number 1 guy. Personally, I would love a way to see MM re-signed on a sweet 2 year deal but given the way things are and the way teams will offer him $3-4 million, I can't see anyone on their big money contract taking that much of a home town discount. He has been a super draft pick, he deserves a pay day and while I would love that to be with the Giants, if the business won't allow it, the business won't allow it.

The bottom line as well is that

1) even with KM and BJ (combined cap value $8m) off the roster; and
    2) possible renogiation of vet contracts (Diehl, Manning, Webster, Rolle, Canty)

we will be very very tight on that cap if we try and bring back half the free agents I think we will need.

This offseason, for me, is about getting the key starters/role players and parts re-signed, for value. I would like to see TT and Goff re-signed on play/incentive laden deals, Weatherford signed up for his value (ie more than the punter minimum), Ballard on a solid deal. To this I would add Tolly, Grant, Bernard and Thomas as role players for another year. But essentially - yes, no big re-signs and, personally, I wouldnt want to f around with too many existing contracts to try and save for one big F/A signing.

Turning to 2013 the obvious retain is Cruz as things stand but I wouldn't be hugely worried about him right now - he's restricted anyway so if things get acrimonius (and I dont think they will) we only need to match what another team are willing to pay. I think KP will also get a decent offer, I absolutely think there will be cap room for him.

As for that 2014 class - I actually don't see a huge problem as things stand. The reason - in their next contracts Tuck, Boley and Webster will all be over 32. They have had their payday second contracts. If they are still getting performance, yes, they'll get paid on that value but not on the upside of how much the organisation thinks they may improve over the contract. In real terms pass rushers, CB's and LB's don't improve production with age. They will either take the cut in 2014 or be cut. That leaves plenty of room to give Nicks and Cruz the deals they need in 2013/2014 IF the giants can draft/keep defensive talent through the draft or cute F/A deal between now and then. The key deals by the time 2014 comes around will be Nicks, LJ (as you say).

To me, the big off seasons are this offseason and 2013 - can JR get even more applause by getting talent at value to add to the Giants core which is, like it or not, way over a third/approaching a half of the cap invested in the top 11/12 guys on the roster.

we put off giving SS a new contract and he was making less than Cruz is today.

keep in mind this was before everyone hated SS.

i think they'll offer him a deal, but it'll probably include the hometown discount.

We'll see if he takes it.

[quote user="FBomb"]

Well, it's unrealistic to think you can put off giving Cruz a new deal. The kid earned it and he should get it NOW.

TT, pardon the pun, doesn't have a leg to stand on until he's 100%. He'll have to take what we offer or he goes the Steve Smith route. I love the guy, but we have bigger fish to fry.

[/quote]

i think they'll evaluate TT vs Ross and figure out which one they're going to make the serious push for. it won't be both.

MM is probably gone, Osi won't get a raise, and it'll be interesting to see what they do with Jacobs.

I don't know what they do with Cruz. They'll either up Cruz or Nicks, both have their contracts technically expire next season, both are vastly underpaid.

All-Pro

[quote user="CDN_G-FAN"][quote user="FBomb"]

[/quote]

i think they'll evaluate TT vs Ross and figure out which one they're going to make the serious push for. it won't be both.

MM is probably gone, Osi won't get a raise, and it'll be interesting to see what they do with Jacobs.

I don't know what they do with Cruz. They'll either up Cruz or Nicks, both have their contracts technically expire next season, both are vastly underpaid.

[/quote]

What's on my mind is, does it make sense to pay 2 WRs #1 WR money. What did the Colts do with Harrison and Wayne?

[quote user="gumby742"]What's on my mind is, does it make sense to pay 2 WRs #1 WR money.[/quote]

Yes.

Bench Player

I agree re Cruz and leaving his contract be. If his season next year is anything like this he will get paid.

Next year the Giants barely have a nickel on the cap without cutting away elsewhere and, perhaps being contraversial here, if I had $2-3million to give to one of the receivers next year I would give it to Manningham.

This postseason proved, absolutely in my view, that this corps, as well as Eli, is both elite and will get you in the end provided you can get all of it on the field and healthy - ultimately a defense needs to double cover all of them to stop giving it up to them and that creates big holes for others, the running game, lots of good match ups. I'd like to see that for at least one more season.