+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Veteran

Why is Warner so bitter????

I heard his interview on ESPN, why is this guy so bitter on Eli Manning? GROW UP KURT!!!

Re: Why is Warner so bitter????

You going to tell us what he said?

Veteran

He's acting like Eli's career has been pedestrian even with two SB MVP's.....

Veteran

Apparently he said something along the lines of "Eli is nowhere near good enough to get into the hall of fame"

In an appearance with Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 in Phoenix, Warner made the case against Eli’s potential induction into the Hall of Fame.

“I fully disagree with that,” Warner said of talk that Eli will get in. “You know because I know we put a lot of weight on championships, and rightfully so. But championships are won as a team, and I’m fully convinced of that. You never see one guy — a great player, great quarterback — carry a team through the playoffs and into a Super Bowl and win a Super Bowl that way. I’ve never seen it. You know even in that game [Super Bowl XLVI], it’s 21-17. That’s the game. There wasn’t a quarterback just up and down the field carrying the team.

“Yeah, he made the plays down the stretch, no question about it,” added Warner, who spent the 2004 season with Eli in New York. “He’s had two great playoff runs, or his team has had two great playoff runs. But I also look at the rest of his career. I mean, he has an 82 . . . quarterback rating throughout his career. You know, he’s had five of his eight seasons where he has thrown 16 interceptions or more. His completion percentage on his career is 58 percent. To me, those aren’t Hall of Fame numbers and by that I mean every time you step on the field you’re a game changer, you’re a difference maker. And I don’t believe Eli Manning has been that guy until this year. I think this year is the first time in his career when he’s become that guy.”

Warner said that, if Eli performs like he did this year for five more seasons, then he’ll be worthy of inclusion among the league’s all-time greats. Without that, Warner thinks Eli should be kept out due to the fact that he has been “extremely inconsistent throughout his career.”

Veteran

Well, he's right. Eli's body of work is not Hall of Fame worthy YET. That is unless you're one of those people who puts 95% of their judgement of someone's career based on Superbowls. This was Eli's first seasons where he was amongst the top QB's statwise. If he keeps that up along with his post season resume I believe he will get in, but if he reverts to what we saw with all the INT's and whatnot it'll take more than two great postseasons to put someone in the Hall..... or at least it SHOULD. I think the whole Superbowl MVP thing is entirely subjective anyways and usually goes to the QB by default unless there was someone who was notably spectacular. Eli played a good game but I certainly have seen better out of him this season. My guess is that if Hakeem Nicks had a TD on his statline to go with his 10 receptions and over 100 yards he'd probably of received the MVP. It's not to diminish from Eli but some people are basing their coronation of him entirely off the MVP status.

[quote user="Axels15"]Apparently he said something along the lines of "Eli is nowhere near good enough to get into the hall of fame"[/quote]Apparently that would be true, if his career was over. Has there been a
    2 Time SB winning QB, 2 Time SB MVP QB ever not been a shoe in for the
    HOF? I keep hearing that it's Championships that count.

Considering a lot of the same pundits say Big Ben is a hall of famer because he's won 2 SBs. How come it doesn't work the same way with Eli? Big Ben wasn't even the reason the steelers won vs. Seattle.

Also, pretty bad timing for Kurt Warner, ur a random retired dude and the day of the parade you say this?

Bench Player

I respect Warner's general position on quarterback play - he knows of which he speaks. You absolutely cannot doubt that for the first three years of his career Eli was a work in progress. But, saying that, Warner should have issued a massive disclaimer here and said he is just bitter about his own performance and exit in New York. For the record, in Warner's 9 starts for New York he had 6 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. As a comparable - has Eli ever looked that bad since 2007? Also, at Eli's equivalent stages in his career Kurt has just checked in three year ratings of 76, 72 and 86 and was cut by two teams.

His QB rating at NYG was 86.5. This is hardly a stellar figure. Granted you can blame a small sample size but the bald facts are that Warner's QB rating only passed 95 in 4 of 11 seasons. In some seasons he was great and then next year, awful. And 2 of those great statistical seasons ended in Superbowl defeat. Is that "a consistent body of work", Kurt?

Veteran

[quote user="LondonGman"]I respect Warner's general position on quarterback play - he knows of which he speaks. You absolutely cannot doubt that for the first three years of his career Eli was a work in progress. But, saying that, Warner should have issued a massive disclaimer here and said he is just bitter about his own performance and exit in New York. For the record, in Warner's 9 starts for New York he had 6 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. As a comparable - has Eli ever looked that bad since 2007? Also, at Eli's equivalent stages in his career Kurt has just checked in three year ratings of 76, 72 and 86 and was cut by two teams.

His QB rating at NYG was 86.5. This is hardly a stellar figure. Granted you can blame a small sample size but the bald facts are that Warner's QB rating only passed 95 in 4 of 11 seasons. In some seasons he was great and then next year, awful. And 2 of those great statistical seasons ended in Superbowl defeat. Is that "a consistent body of work", Kurt?
    [/quote]

Has Kurt said that he believes that he himself is a future Hall of Famer? He could just believe in very high standards to be a Hall of Famer.