+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ARICLE: Warner doesn't buy that Eli is already Hall of Famer

[link]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d826c0229/article/warner-doesnt-buy-that-eli-is-already-hall-of-famer?module=HP11_headline_stack[/link]

Kurt Warner has spoken: Eli Manning is not a lock for the Hall of Fame, despite many in the media suggesting the Giants' quarterback has punched his ticket following his second championship win in Super Bowl XLVI.

"I fully disagree with that," Warner, an NFL Network analyst and one-time Super Bowl champion, said Tuesday on Arizona Sports 620-AM in Phoenix. "You know, because I know we put a lot of weight on championships, and rightfully so. But championships are won as a team, and Iím fully convinced of that. You never see one guy -- a great player, great quarterback -- carry a team through the playoffs and into a Super Bowl and win a Super Bowl that way. Iíve never seen it. You know, even in that game (Super Bowl XLVI), itís 21-17. Thatís the game. There wasnít a quarterback just up and down the field carrying the team. Yeah, he made the plays down the stretch -- no question about it. Heís had two great playoff runs -- or his team has had two great playoff runs. But I also look at the rest of his career.

"I mean, he has an 82 quarterback rating throughout his career," Warner continues. "You know, heís had five of his eight seasons where he has thrown 16 interceptions or more. His completion percentage on his career is 58 percent. To me, those arenít Hall of Fame numbers, and by that, I mean every time you step on the field youíre a game changer, youíre a difference maker. And I donít believe Eli Manning has been that guy until this year. ...

"Now, if he plays the same way he played this year, the rest of his career, and you give him five more years, and then add the two championships, then I think we have reason to debate, and he's probably going to be in the Hall of Fame in that position."

Warner even went on to address the absurd notion from some experts that Eli has surpassed older brother Peyton as the greater Manning quarterback.

"I just can't fathom that in regards to what they've accomplished in their whole careers, the type of quarterbacks they've been their entire careers," Warner said. "I don't even think it's close between Peyton and Eli."

Let's think about this: There's one retired quarterback to win multiple Super Bowls who isn't in the Hall of Fame, and that's Jim Plunkett, who won two titles with the Raiders and was the MVP of Super Bowl XV. So, clearly, a second title from Eli isn't an automatic Hall pass to Canton.

Now ask yourself: What, in the eyes of voters, has kept Plunkett from the Hall despite two titles and a Super Bowl MVP? Answer: They must feel he lacks the overall career credentials that warrant his entry. Using Plunkett as our sample and considering what Warner just laid out for us, it's pretty clear that Eli still has work to do.

But what say you?
    Peace,
    DragonSoul

Twitter Account! https://twitter.com/DragonSoul

Re: ARICLE: Warner doesn't buy that Eli is already Hall of Famer

[quote user="DragonSoul"][link]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d826c0229/article/warner-doesnt-buy-that-eli-is-already-hall-of-famer?module=HP11_headline_stack[/link]

Kurt Warner has spoken: Eli Manning is not a lock for the Hall of Fame, despite many in the media suggesting the Giants' quarterback has punched his ticket following his second championship win in Super Bowl XLVI.

"I fully disagree with that," Warner, an NFL Network analyst and one-time Super Bowl champion, said Tuesday on Arizona Sports 620-AM in Phoenix. "You know, because I know we put a lot of weight on championships, and rightfully so. But championships are won as a team, and Iím fully convinced of that. You never see one guy -- a great player, great quarterback -- carry a team through the playoffs and into a Super Bowl and win a Super Bowl that way. Iíve never seen it. You know, even in that game (Super Bowl XLVI), itís 21-17. Thatís the game. There wasnít a quarterback just up and down the field carrying the team. Yeah, he made the plays down the stretch -- no question about it. Heís had two great playoff runs -- or his team has had two great playoff runs. But I also look at the rest of his career.

"I mean, he has an 82 quarterback rating throughout his career," Warner continues. "You know, heís had five of his eight seasons where he has thrown 16 interceptions or more. His completion percentage on his career is 58 percent. To me, those arenít Hall of Fame numbers, and by that, I mean every time you step on the field youíre a game changer, youíre a difference maker. And I donít believe Eli Manning has been that guy until this year. ...

"Now, if he plays the same way he played this year, the rest of his career, and you give him five more years, and then add the two championships, then I think we have reason to debate, and he's probably going to be in the Hall of Fame in that position."

Warner even went on to address the absurd notion from some experts that Eli has surpassed older brother Peyton as the greater Manning quarterback.

"I just can't fathom that in regards to what they've accomplished in their whole careers, the type of quarterbacks they've been their entire careers," Warner said. "I don't even think it's close between Peyton and Eli."

Let's think about this: There's one retired quarterback to win multiple Super Bowls who isn't in the Hall of Fame, and that's Jim Plunkett, who won two titles with the Raiders and was the MVP of Super Bowl XV. So, clearly, a second title from Eli isn't an automatic Hall pass to Canton.

Now ask yourself: What, in the eyes of voters, has kept Plunkett from the Hall despite two titles and a Super Bowl MVP? Answer: They must feel he lacks the overall career credentials that warrant his entry. Using Plunkett as our sample and considering what Warner just laid out for us, it's pretty clear that Eli still has work to do.

But what say you?[/quote]

I say that Eli is now hitting his prime. What changed for him this year is his football IQ. His reads and decision making took a major jump this year. The next few years will only add to this discussion. He will be in the hall of fame because of his work ethic. Comparisons to Peyton are just stupid at this time. Eli is hitting his stride and is the best clutch player I have ever seen.

Veteran

I know people are loosing thier mind over this, but it is perfectly fair, if his career contiues this way than yes, if he retired today, then no... I agree

I agree with Kurt, if Eli can maintain this level of play then yes to HOF but until he does that he is still a very good QB but not in the elite level yet. We should all remember that Eli threw about 26 INTs last season and a lot of them were from making bad decisions with the ball

All-Pro

I love it.

The conversation goes from Eli being Elite to Eli being a HOFer. After next season they will be debating if Eli is God-like or not.

Veteran

[quote user="JesseJames"]I agree with Kurt, if Eli can maintain this level of play then yes to HOF but until he does that he is still a very good QB but not in the elite level yet. We should all remember that Eli threw about 26 INTs last season and a lot of them were from making bad decisions with the ball[/quote]

Eli has always been a gunslinger and will throw picks, but to say a majority of his picks last year were bad decions is just wrong, i would say (pulling this out of thin arir) 8-10 went off the recivers hands.

[quote user="TuckYou"]

I love it.

The conversation goes from Eli being Elite to Eli being a HOFer. After next season they will be debating if Eli is God-like or not.

[/quote]LOL.
    Peace,
    DragonSoul

Twitter Account! https://twitter.com/DragonSoul

All-Pro

[quote user="VTJay"]

I know people are loosing thier mind over this, but it is perfectly fair, if his career contiues this way than yes, if he retired today, then no... I agree

[/quote]

i don't have a major problem with this ... i think some are thinking he is betraying his former teammate, but i look at it as he is doing his job to be a little shocking as a media personality now

the other thing i hear kinda makes me think of some of what he may have talked to Eli about in their year playing together ... it's almost like he is saying ... keep working, keep improving, keep studying ... it's almost like he is trying to motivate him to take it to even a higher level

people are discussing this already when eli is 30 or 31 meaning he has plenty of time to make himself a first ballot hall of famer. It will happen I believe in ELi

Warner doesn't buy that Eli took the starting job from him in 2004 because Kurt held onto the ball too long. Or that Eli is now 2-0 in Super Bowls to Kurt's 1-2. Or that Eli beat the Coach/QB combo that Kurt couldn't in 2001.