+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tight End this offseason

This has now become a priority once again... kind of sucks because ballard seemed to be the answer...but with him and beckum now having torn ACL's ..... do we draft, free agent what?

Veteran

Re: Tight End this offseason

I think Ballard is that guy or will be one of those guys long term. The Giants need to either draft someone in one of the first 3 rounds who can play right away or sign a cheap free agent to fill in while we wait for the return of Ballard, and also to provide deph once Ballard comes back. But the Giants cap figure is too high to break the bank on any one free agent.

[quote user="foosball"]I think Ballard is that guy or will be one of those guys long term. The Giants need to either draft someone in one of the first 3 rounds who can play right away or sign a cheap free agent to fill in while we wait for the return of Ballard, and also to provide deph once Ballard comes back. But the Giants cap figure is too high to break the bank on any one free agent.
    [/quote]

Long term he probably will, but he _could_ start the season on PUP, so we'd have to draft one or sign one on the cheap..Beckum won't be ready either probably.

Veteran

[quote user="calzonesays"][quote user="foosball"]I think Ballard is that guy or will be one of those guys long term. The Giants need to either draft someone in one of the first 3 rounds who can play right away or sign a cheap free agent to fill in while we wait for the return of Ballard, and also to provide deph once Ballard comes back. But the Giants cap figure is too high to break the bank on any one free agent.
    [/quote]

Long term he probably will, but he _could_ start the season on PUP, so we'd have to draft one or sign one on the cheap..Beckum won't be ready either probably.
    [/quote]

Did you read my post? That's exactly what I said.

A guy like Dwayne Allen or Coby Fleener might end up being the BPA at #32 overall in this year's draft so don't be surprised if we take a TE in the 1st round.

[quote user="foosball"][quote user="calzonesays"][quote user="foosball"]I think Ballard is that guy or will be one of those guys long term. The Giants need to either draft someone in one of the first 3 rounds who can play right away or sign a cheap free agent to fill in while we wait for the return of Ballard, and also to provide deph once Ballard comes back. But the Giants cap figure is too high to break the bank on any one free agent.
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Did you read my post? That's exactly what I said.
    [/quote]

yeah, my fault I meant to put a list of TEs that are FAs after that..brain cramp its late, lol.

John Carlson and Scott Chandler are two names that pop out on the list. Could bring Shiancoe back.

Mike Leach ARI

Justin Peelle ATL

David Martin BUF

Scott Chandler BUF

Jeremy Shockey CAR (lol, nope!)

Richie Brockel CAR

Kellen Davis CHI
    Greg Olsen CAR

Bo Scaife CIN

Martellus Bennett DAL
    Jermichael Finley GB (gonna be franchised)

Joel Dreessen HOU

Jacob Tamme IND

Visanthe Shiancoe MIN

John Carlson SEA

Fred Davis WAS

Majority of them, I removed Restricted FAs and HUGE stiffs.

Veteran

As long as they don't have to pay anymore then 500,000. I think going with a draft pick or a rookie free agent might be the best option. Were really only talking about 6 weeks and if they have a whole training camp to work with the guy we might end up with another keeper. You never know.

[quote user="TheEnigma"]A guy like Dwayne Allen or Coby Fleener might end up being the BPA at #32 overall in this year's draft so don't be surprised if we take a TE in the 1st round.[/quote]

I hope we don't...

[quote user="Firenugget"][quote user="TheEnigma"]A guy like Dwayne Allen or Coby Fleener might end up being the BPA at #32 overall in this year's draft so don't be surprised if we take a TE in the 1st round.[/quote]

I hope we don't...
    [/quote]

If the class of OL are gone by then, it will be the better picks.

Ballard is what he is and that's a solid BACK UP. He is not a starter and it would be best to get a real recieving threat so when they double Cruz they wiill have to go 1 on 1 with a linebacker on an athletic TE.