+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Tom Couglin, The Trent Dilfer Fallacy and the Book Of Eli

*Big shout out to Steve Young for introducing the term "midling" to the football lexicon.

I wonder if now that Tom Coughlin has won his second championship in grand fashion if he'll start getting the Belichick treatment with fans and Media. Ya know that treatmeat that says "when in doubt don't bet against Belichick" "Belichick has two weeks come up with a game plan he can't lose."

Maybe now Tom Coughlin will start getting respected as a football mastermind. He's done a great job against all odds and he didn't even need to breach security and illegally film the opponents practice sessions to do it.

He's a great coach. I'll admit it took me a Superbowl run to warm up to him but I'm glad we have him.

Before I really get into What Eli has just accomplished I just want to share my total distain for what I call "The Trent Dilfer Fallacy".

Once the Giants won their first Superbowl the Eli Manning haters immediately started with the Trent Dilfer comparisons. Well they weren't really comparisons as much as they were a blatant show of disrespect to both Eli Manning and Trent Dilfer.

There was really only one thing linking the two players and that was the 1 Super Bowl ring. They really had nothing else in common. I heard innacurate arguments of how both were "average" quarterbacks who rode their defense to a title ignoring Manning's magnificent play throughout the playoffs and in the Superbowl. And what's worse is this argument basically suggests that Trent Dilfer should appologize for winning a Super Bowl. The people who made this argument inadvertantly mocked Dilfer despite really only wanting to mock Manning.

Speaking of mocking I just want to remind the GMB faithful how I was mocked back in week 17 for saying that Eli Manning was the best QB in the NFL. Those same people who mocked me will probably still say that Rogers and Brees and Brady are better right up until enough clowns on ESPN say otherwise. Congrats on being completely unoriginal.

But now Eli has ring number 2. So I'm just gonna sit back and wait on the next BS argument to come out against our quarterback.

The last thing I want to say is back in august I posted about how we should appreciate Eli for what he is which is basically a big moment if not big stats QB. I'd take Eli and his dramatic finishes and unbelievable throws at the most pressing moments over meaningless regular season records. Who knew he might even get a few of those meaningless records on top of the record that counts.

Well I'm happy to say The Book Of Eli gets better with every new chapter. There is always a great comeback or great throw. There's suspense and drama. Might be the best QB book in the history of QB books.

Now you'll have to excuse me as peruse all posts to bump to gloat on how absolutely right I was.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Veteran

Re: Tom Couglin, The Trent Dilfer Fallacy and the Book Of Eli

[quote user="burier"]*Big shout out to Steve Young for introducing the term "midling" to the football lexicon. I wonder if now that Tom Coughlin has won his second championship in grand fashion if he'll start getting the Belichick treatment with fans and Media. Ya know that treatmeat that says "when in doubt don't bet against Belichick" "Belichick has two weeks come up with a game plan he can't lose." Maybe now Tom Coughlin will start getting respected as a football mastermind. He's done a great job against all odds and he didn't even need to breach security and illegally film the opponents practice sessions to do it. He's a great coach. I'll admit it took me a Superbowl run to warm up to him but I'm glad we have him. Before I really get into What Eli has just accomplished I just want to share my total distain for what I call "The Trent Dilfer Fallacy". Once the Giants won their first Superbowl the Eli Manning haters immediately started with the Trent Dilfer comparisons. Well they weren't really comparisons as much as they were a blatant show of disrespect to both Eli Manning and Trent Dilfer. There was really only one thing linking the two players and that was the 1 Super Bowl ring. They really had nothing else in common. I heard innacurate arguments of how both were "average" quarterbacks who rode their defense to a title ignoring Manning's magnificent play throughout the playoffs and in the Superbowl. And what's worse is this argument basically suggests that Trent Dilfer should appologize for winning a Super Bowl. The people who made this argument inadvertantly mocked Dilfer despite really only wanting to mock Manning. Speaking of mocking I just want to remind the GMB faithful how I was mocked back in week 17 for saying that Eli Manning was the best QB in the NFL. Those same people who mocked me will probably still say that Rogers and Brees and Brady are better right up until enough clowns on ESPN say otherwise. Congrats on being completely unoriginal. But now Eli has ring number 2. So I'm just gonna sit back and wait on the next BS argument to come out against our quarterback. The last thing I want to say is back in august I posted about how we should appreciate Eli for what he is which is basically a big moment if not big stats QB. I'd take Eli and his dramatic finishes and unbelievable throws at the most pressing moments over meaningless regular season records. Who new he might even get a few of those meaningless records on top of the record that counts. Well I'm happy to say The Book Of Eli gets better with every new chapter. There is always a great comeback or great throw. There's suspense and drama. Might be the best QB book in the history of QB books. Now you'll have to excuse me as peruse all posts to bump to gloat on how absolutely right I was.[/quote]

I agree with everything you are saying. The best description I heard about Eli since Sunday was on Francessa's show. Kim something or other came on and said that a Giants person (she wouldn't say who it was) described Eli as the Baby-Faced Assassin. Perfectly described in my opinion.

Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

[quote user="burier"]*Big shout out to Steve Young for introducing the term "midling" to the football lexicon.

I wonder if now that Tom Coughlin has won his second championship in grand fashion if he'll start getting the Belichick treatment with fans and Media. Ya know that treatmeat that says "when in doubt don't bet against Belichick" "Belichick has two weeks come up with a game plan he can't lose."

Maybe now Tom Coughlin will start getting respected as a football mastermind. He's done a great job against all odds and he didn't even need to breach security and illegally film the opponents practice sessions to do it.

He's a great coach. I'll admit it took me a Superbowl run to warm up to him but I'm glad we have him.

Before I really get into What Eli has just accomplished I just want to share my total distain for what I call "The Trent Dilfer Fallacy".

Once the Giants won their first Superbowl the Eli Manning haters immediately started with the Trent Dilfer comparisons. Well they weren't really comparisons as much as they were a blatant show of disrespect to both Eli Manning and Trent Dilfer.

There was really only one thing linking the two players and that was the 1 Super Bowl ring. They really had nothing else in common. I heard innacurate arguments of how both were "average" quarterbacks who rode their defense to a title ignoring Manning's magnificent play throughout the playoffs and in the Superbowl. And what's worse is this argument basically suggests that Trent Dilfer should appologize for winning a Super Bowl. The people who made this argument inadvertantly mocked Dilfer despite really only wanting to mock Manning.

Speaking of mocking I just want to remind the GMB faithful how I was mocked back in week 17 for saying that Eli Manning was the best QB in the NFL. Those same people who mocked me will probably still say that Rogers and Brees and Brady are better right up until enough clowns on ESPN say otherwise. Congrats on being completely unoriginal.

But now Eli has ring number 2. So I'm just gonna sit back and wait on the next BS argument to come out against our quarterback.

The last thing I want to say is back in august I posted about how we should appreciate Eli for what he is which is basically a big moment if not big stats QB. I'd take Eli and his dramatic finishes and unbelievable throws at the most pressing moments over meaningless regular season records. Who knew he might even get a few of those meaningless records on top of the record that counts.

Well I'm happy to say The Book Of Eli gets better with every new chapter. There is always a great comeback or great throw. There's suspense and drama. Might be the best QB book in the history of QB books.

Now you'll have to excuse me as peruse all posts to bump to gloat on how absolutely right I was.[/quote]

You ought to get mocked for this post too.

I was right!

I was right I'm telling ya!

I was right!

http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

[quote user="repeatchamps"]

I agree with everything you are saying. The best description I heard about Eli since Sunday was on Francessa's show. Kim something or other came on and said that a Giants person (she wouldn't say who it was) described Eli as the Baby-Faced Assassin. Perfectly described in my opinion.

[/quote]

Yeah, that was good.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

[quote user="Roosevelt"][quote user="burier"]*Big shout out to Steve Young for introducing the term "midling" to the football lexicon.

Now you'll have to excuse me as peruse all posts to bump to gloat on how absolutely right I was.[/quote]

You ought to get mocked for this post too.*

I was right!

I was right!

[/quote]

Says the poster who is most frequently wrong.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Eli said it himself. he just want s to get better every year. He descibed Brady as being a better QB now then he was when he won the 3 SBs and that was his comparrison to Brady. Thats he just wants to improve every year.

Eli.....you have your own style and you havethe faith of all the players and coaches.

Oh yeah,......and two rings and MVPsto boot....

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

[quote user="Roosevelt"][quote user="repeatchamps"]

[/quote]

Yeah, that was good.
    [/quote]

That seems like a perfect description.

[quote user="burier"][quote user="Roosevelt"][quote user="burier"]*Big shout out to Steve Young for introducing the term "midling" to the football lexicon.

You ought to get mocked for this post too.

I was right!

I was right!

[/quote]

Says the poster who is most frequently wrong.[/quote]

Seriously, put up or shut up.

Post ANYTHING I ever said about any player, let alone Eli that was wrong.

I've already challenged you on this before and you get quiet.

So if you can't back it up why say it?

[quote user="GameTime"]

Eli said it himself. he just want s to get better every year. He descibed Brady as being a better QB now then he was when he won the 3 SBs and that was his comparrison to Brady. Thats he just wants to improve every year.

Eli.....you have your own style and you havethe faith of all the players and coaches.

Oh yeah,......and two rings and MVPsto boot....

[/quote]

I found that pretty incredible - that he still spoke about improving his game. You gotta love that.

[quote user="Roosevelt"][quote user="burier"][quote user="Roosevelt"][quote user="burier"]*Big shout out to Steve Young for introducing the term "midling" to the football lexicon.

You ought to get mocked for this post too.*

I was right!

I was right!

[/quote]

Says the poster who is most frequently wrong.[/quote]

Seriously, put up or shut up.

Post ANYTHING I ever said about any player, let alone Eli that was wrong.*

I've already challenged you on this before and you get quiet.

So if you can't back it up why say it?
    [/quote]

Whoa cowboy. When have you challenged me and I got quiet. That **** simply never happened with my knowledge.

And your memory is selective.

Do you remember this discussion?

You said Eli has never been in a MVP discussion as evidence that Eli played better tthis season than he played in any other season BY A WIDE MARGIN.

I promptly posted links where Eli was discussed as an MVP canditate from every single season after the SB run. 08, 09 and 2010.

You then backpeddled and said "well those are all from october Show me something from a November or December." Failing to realize that that satement actually made my point since Eli this year fell out of MVP talks in November as well.

So your move. You gonna deny that happened?