+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dont'a Hightower

Anyone know anything about him? A Bama friend of mine was telling me all sorts of good things about him. He said he saw some projections having him go late in the 1st rd. If so, should the Giants target him? In my opinion we could use some serious upgrades to our LBs. Is he everything my buddy made him out to be? I'll be the first to admit I haven't scouted the guy at all.

Re: Dont'a Hightower

I'm in the same boat with your friend and will tell you plenty about Dont'a Hightower. Long story short, I wanted this guy to become a Giant since he was in High School. From what I have seen throughout his career he can do just about anything. In High School, they needed someone to play RB, so they moved him to RB and he gained over 1,000 rushing in only 4 games. He was torn between Alabama and Vandy out of high school. He liked Vandy for their academics but chose Alabama instead and was an immediate starter in probably the most complex defense in the CFB. He was a team leader and showed that he can play DE, MLB or OLB. He's extremely athletic, has good speed and a great nose for the ball. He had a rough year in 2010 coming off a knee injury but looked 100% healthy in 2011 and was one of the best defensive players in the country. All-American, Finalist for the Lombardi, Butkus, Chuck Bednarik and Lott Troph... he also called the plays for the best defense in the country (some have called the best of all time in CFB). Led Alabama in tackles.

Very intelligent, hardworker and high character player. Said before that he lives in the weight room, library and film room. Played in a 3-4 but would be fine in a 4-3 IMO. This is my top target for the first round... obviously.

Becauseof his size(over 260lbs) many feel he may not have the mobility to play in a 43 system. If he shows well at the combine in ability drills and so forth, it might show differently.

I still think he rates higher as a 34 ILB than he does as a 43 MLB simply because he comes from that system and is proven in it.

If he is rated top 30 on a 3-4 team's board he might be rated top 45 on a 4-3 team's board making him less likely to go to a 43 team.

He would be part time SOLB in a 4-3 not a MLB.He would be pulled on passing downs on this team

I think he's a very poor fit in the giants system.

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]He would be part time SOLB in a 4-3 not a MLB.He would be pulled on passing downs on this team[/quote]

I agree he wouldnt play on passing downs. As to his position, I think it depends entirely on his performance at the combine.

However, I still think there is transition time to switch from 34-43.Most NFL vets who can make this transition take a year or 2 to get it right.

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]He would be part time SOLB in a 4-3 not a MLB.He would be pulled on passing downs on this team[/quote]Out of curiosity, why do you think he's a SOLB and not a MLB?

Saying Dont'a is strictly a 3-4 guys is a valid argument because that's the system he comes from. Saban is a 3-4 guy but the way he uses his JACK LB can basically switch Alabama to a 4-3 though and DH has excelled in that system. I wouldn't say pass coverage is the best part of his game (although I think he could hang with most TEs in the NFL), but I think he brings more in other departments to make him a good fit for us. Not to mention, Saban teaches every player how to drop into coverage and I've never noticed it being a major weakness for Hightower. I certainly don't think Goff showed that he is any better at pass coverage.

Dont'a brings size, good speed, great strength, high intelligence, great work ethic and leadership. He'd be a monster against the run and he has versatility in that if injuries ever became a problem he could be moved to DE and still get the job done (similar to Kiwanuka).

[quote user="NCGiant23"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]He would be part time SOLB in a 4-3 not a MLB.He would be pulled on passing downs on this team[/quote]Out of curiosity, why do you think he's a SOLB and not a MLB?
    [/quote]Mostly because of the pass defense responsibilities. I dont think he could handle dropping the deep middle for 1.Hightowers pass defense responsibilities at Alabama are closer to what the Giants ask from Kiwanuka

Veteran

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="NCGiant23"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]He would be part time SOLB in a 4-3 not a MLB.He would be pulled on passing downs on this team[/quote]Out of curiosity, why do you think he's a SOLB and not a MLB?
    [/quote]Mostly because of the pass defense responsibilities. I dont think he could handle dropping the deep middle for 1.Hightowers pass defense responsibilities at Alabama are closer to what the Giants ask from Kiwanuka[/quote]

Agreed.

Either Hightower has the fluidity/athleticism to play 43 MIKE, and there's NO way he lasts to 32, or he doesn't and wouldn't fit the Giants' defense.

I've been seeing a lot of chatter recently that Kuechly's stock is falling, possibly right out of the 1st (I saw one scouting website call him a 3rd rounder... a weaker version of Laurinitis).

I've been saying for a while (and flamed a bit for it) that Kuechly's combine is going to be one of the most important this year. If he even has an "average" combine, he could fall. That being said, unless he has an absolutely pitiful combine, if he's there at 32, JR should SPRINT to the podium (possibly drop kicking Goodell along the way... which would get a serious cheer from the crowd at Radio City, but that's besides the point).