+ Reply to Thread

parcells-coughlin-h-o-f-

as great as it is to talk about coughlin goin into the hall of fame- we cannot even think about him goin in until parcells goes in first. and please can we as giant fans stop talking about cowher- coughlin was always the better coach.

Re: parcells-coughlin-h-o-f-

[quote user="gradstang"]as great as it is to talk about coughlin goin into the hall of fame- we cannot even think about him goin in until parcells goes in first. and please can we as giant fans stop talking about cowher- coughlin was always the better coach.[/quote]

1. Cowher should have never been mentioned here to begin with, he is no where near the coach TC is.

2. Couglin could go to HOF based on 2 Superbowls in 8 years and building an expansion team into the playoffs.

3. Although we all love Bill, when he left he was a complete tool, left us high and dry with Ray Handly, quit on the Pats, Quit on the Jets, Quit on Dallas, Quit on Miami, the HOF is more of a popularity contest and he has burned way to many bridges.

Forget the Past, Live for the Future!

IMO Parcells not getting in on the first ballot is a crime but it is revenge by the butthurt sports reporters who vote on such things. Parcells disdained most of them and toyed with them like ants under a magnifying glass. This is their passive aggressive way of getting revenge.

And as happy as we are with Coughlin, we are drunk on a Super Bowl and Coughlin also has drawbacks on the negative side of the ledger. Does a Hall of Fame coach have a losing 2nd half record, late season collapses 7 out of 8 years, and some of the worst losses in franchise history? I've decided to live with it but let's not forget those problems are there.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"]
    And as happy as we are with Coughlin, we are drunk on a Super Bowl and Coughlin also has drawbacks on the negative side of the ledger.* Does a Hall of Fame coach have a losing 2nd half record, late season collapses 7 out of 8 years, and some of the worst losses in franchise history?* I've decided to live with it but let's not forget those problems are there.
    [/quote]

I didn't realize they kept track of coaching records for within-season stretches?

Parcells should go in first for sure. Hopefully TC can add a third ring in the next few years to make it even easier for him.

[quote user="yoeddy"]
    I didn't realize they kept track of coaching records for within-season stretches?[/quote]

Have you ever, say, turned on a TV somewhere early in November and heard the phrase "here we go again"?

The 2nd half collapses are probably the first thing the critics will point to. He's about 10 games under .500. Even in 2007 the team went 4-4 and in 2011 it went 3-5. That's usually not championship football. For whatever reasons we get these miracle road wins in the playoffs.

Most HoF caliber coaches are known for playing their best football late in the season, not their worst. Bill Parcells, for example.

Here's Tom's 2nd half record with the Giants:

2004 - 1-7
    2005 - 5-3
    2006 - 2-6
    2007 - 4-4
    2008 - 5-3
    2009 - 3-5
    2010 - 4-4
    2011 - 3-5

Who is going to look at that 27-37 record and say "Hall of Fame"? It's a miracle we won those two championships.

I promised to get off Coughlin's back so I will, I'm just pointing it out for people who are blinded to the problems. Here's a challenge for you, find me a Hall of Fame coach who has a sub .500 record in the 2nd half. I don't think you'll be able to.

Just for reference, Vince Lombardi went 4-2, 3-3, 5-2, 6-1, 5-1-1, 5-1-1, 4-2-1, 6-1, 4-3, for a total of 42-14-2 (.728 winning percentage). Bill Belichick's record is 3-5, 7-1, 5-3, 8-0, 7-1, 6-2, 6-2, 8-0, 6-2, 4-4, 8-0, 8-0 for a total of 76-20 (.791 winning percentage).

8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

[quote user="nygsb42champs"]Parcells should go in first for sure. Hopefully TC can add a third ring in the next few years to make it even easier for him.[/quote]
    +1....seeing Coughlin win another ring would make me so happy for him (I already am anyways)

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"][quote user="yoeddy"]
    I didn't realize they kept track of coaching records for within-season stretches?[/quote]

Have you ever, say, turned on a TV somewhere early in November and heard the phrase "here we go again"?

The 2nd half collapses are probably the first thing the critics will point to.* He's about 10 games under .500.* Even in 2007 the team went 4-4 and in 2011 it went 3-5.* That's usually not championship football.* For whatever reasons we get these miracle road wins in the playoffs.

Most HoF caliber coaches are known for playing their best football late in the season, not their worst.* Bill Parcells, for example.

Here's Tom's 2nd half record with the Giants:

2004 - 1-7
    2005 - 5-3
    2006 - 2-6
    2007 - 4-4
    2008 - 5-3
    2009 - 3-5
    2010 - 4-4
    2011 - 3-5

Who is going to look at that 27-37 record and say "Hall of Fame"?* It's a miracle we won those two championships.

I promised to get off Coughlin's back so I will, I'm just pointing it out for people who are blinded to the problems.* Here's a challenge for you, find me a Hall of Fame coach who has a sub .500 record in the 2nd half.* I don't think you'll be able to.

Just for reference, Vince Lombardi went 4-2, 3-3, 5-2, 6-1, 5-1-1, 5-1-1, 4-2-1, 6-1, 4-3, for a total of 42-14-2 (.728 winning percentage).* Bill Belichick's record is 3-5, 7-1, 5-3, 8-0, 7-1, 6-2, 6-2, 8-0, 6-2, 4-4, 8-0, 8-0 for a total of 76-20 (.791 winning percentage).

[/quote]

Jim Fassel had a terrific December record, but no one really cares. It's about championships, and Coughlin has won 2 in 8 seasons...

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"]IMO Parcells not getting in on the first ballot is a crime but it is revenge by the butthurt sports reporters who vote on such things. Parcells disdained most of them and toyed with them like ants under a magnifying glass. This is their passive aggressive way of getting revenge.

And as happy as we are with Coughlin, we are drunk on a Super Bowl and Coughlin also has drawbacks on the negative side of the ledger. Does a Hall of Fame coach have a losing 2nd half record, late season collapses 7 out of 8 years, and some of the worst losses in franchise history? I've decided to live with it but let's not forget those problems are there.
    [/quote]
    "Drunk on a Super Bowl" is probably the perfect way to put it. 2 months ago we wanted to fire the guy, now he belongs in the Hall of Fame.

I love this place