+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone else think 10 yards is too harsh for a holding call?

They say it happens on every play. Seems harsh for something that is considered a judgment call at times.

Can't there be a "major hold" which would be 10 yards and a "Minor hold" which would be 5 yards?

Re: Does anyone else think 10 yards is too harsh for a holding call?

it use to be 15 yds at one time. Alan Page was ticked off when they changed it.

Then again back then the D line had ball bearings in the tape of their hands. Few head slaps to the O linemen and they were walking around in lala land.

Jack Youngblood use to have two smelling tablets in his belt when he got woozy he would break one open and get his senses back he said.
    Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

[quote user="Elaxico"]They say it happens on every play. Seems harsh for something that is considered a judgment call at times.

Can't there be a "major hold" which would be 10 yards and a "Minor hold" which would be 5 yards?[/quote]

Only when it is called on our team : )

Veteran

If it was 5 yards guys would hold all the time in pass protection since a sack is so much worse. 10 yards does seem harsh for a hold on a run play though.

I think what bothers me more is that a defensive hold is only 5 yards...yes you get an automatic first time. however, when a defensive holds its often preventing a big play. For instance... if a defender is in one on one coverage and gets beat by the receiver all he has to do is grab his jersey to hold him up which saves a touchdown and results in only 5 yard penalty. The 10 yards on offense though is a drive killer... i will admit that. it is a hard thing to overcome.

I don't mind the penalty distances at all. It is perfect for me. Maybe bring back the 5 yard face mask. I don't think they all should be 15 yards.

I just think they need to ease off on the penalties on the QBs though.

You think about the Super Bowl call: We went from a 3rd and 1 to 3rd and 11.
    Not to mention Jacobs had another 7-8 yards. (I'm guessing here)

Drive killer is right. We were putting together a hell of a drive. This call really shifted the game to me.

[quote user="bflo23"]I don't mind the penalty distances at all. It is perfect for me. Maybe bring back the 5 yard face mask. I don't think they all should be 15 yards.

I just think they need to ease off on the penalties on the QBs though.
    [/quote]

I dont think that will ever happen. This league is becoming all about protecting its superstars. just pray they dont get worse

[quote user="jhamburg"]If it was 5 yards guys would hold all the time in pass protection since a sack is so much worse. 10 yards does seem harsh for a hold on a run play though.[/quote]

Great point.

I fundamentally disagree with the NFL's whole penalty yardage system. I have always thought that penalties should affect field position, not down and distance. For example, I think ten yards for a hold is fine. However, why does it go from 3rd and 1 to 3rd and 11? That can and did change the whole flow of a game. It should be so that in that situation, it became 3rd and 1 again, just 10 yards further back. I know this would be a huge change in football philosophy and will never happen, but it just doesn't make sense that a small penalty can have such a huge impact on games.

And don't get me started on the whole automatic first down for defensive penalties. A defense can shut you down 1st and 2nd downs. Throw in a sack and now it's 3rd and 20. A DB grabs a jersey and now it's a 1st down? Rediculous. Why don't offenses lose a down when committing penalties? Off the original topic I know, but this has always bothered me.