+ Reply to Thread

Eli will be top 10 All Time in yards if...

he throws for 4,000 yards or so in 4 more seasons. If he does it for 6-7 seasons, he will be top 5 all time. If he has seasons of close to 5,000 yards we could be looking at something really REALLY special.

And for the HOF debate, Warner went on NFL Network show and recanted his statement in an "instadebate" with Lombardi.

He said he meant if Eli were to retire right now, then he wouldn't be a lock. He then said if he played a few more seasons at this level, even without another Super Bowl, he'll be a lock.

Lombardi said he's a lock already right now. He said for the voters, its if the player was able to lead his team to Championships. And he said the way in which Eli did it, he's a lock as of right now.

I respect Lombardi's opinion more than almost any NFL analyst and that was before seeing this clip.

Guys, if Eli can keep this level for 5 more seasons and throw in a season or two of just going off in TDs or yards, Eli will be among the absolute best of all time in alot of major categories. Plus, he is the iron man right now and doesn't seem to be slowing down any, in fact he's improving...we're lucky, so ****ing lucky. I NEVER doubted him
    "The OL is good enough for most of Eli's supposed peers..."

Re: Eli will be top 10 All Time in yards if...

I don't think he's a lock right now, but would be if finished out his career like the way he's been playing.

And I think that Eli has 1 or 2 more SB victories in him before his career's over.

Yeah, I'd agree with their view on the matter

Veteran

First of all...why would he retire right now?

I firmly believe that when people talk about Eli being a "lock", they are assuming that he will play-out his career. What would stop him besides injury?

To take it to the next level...I believe that his right arm would have to be torn off to get him out of the line-up at QB...but then he'd probably ask to play safety or something.

However...if the unthinkable were to happen, he still gets in. People will look at what he did when he was healthy...became the Tom Brady killer...and that will be enough. They will give him a pass if something like that were to happen and realize that he already has given the NFL enough SB moments to be in the hall.

[quote user="nygfanmaybe"]First of all...why would he retire right now?

I firmly believe that when people talk about Eli being a "lock", they are assuming that he will play-out his career. What would stop him besides injury?

To take it to the next level...I believe that his right arm would have to be torn off to get him out of the line-up at QB...but then he'd probably ask to play safety or something.

However...if the unthinkable were to happen, he still gets in. People will look at what he did when he was healthy...became the Tom Brady killer...and that will be enough. They will give him a pass if something like that were to happen and realize that he already has given the NFL enough SB moments to be in the hall.[/quote]

agreed. what im liking a lot from this whole bs HOF spin, is that their have been quite a few analysts who say Eli has now passed Peyton by, which is in no way provable, except for the fact that eli thru his first 8 years matches Peyton in several aspects and succeeded much better. Peyton thru his first 8 years had no super bowl win, and I believe he and the colts struggled mightily in the post season.

if eli just continues at this pace, by the time he reaches the number of years peyton played(assuming peyton doesn't come back) eli will have a very strong argument as having the better career.

Its just a lil crazy that before SB 42, no one except for the biggest eli homers (like myself) would say eli had a chance at being better than peyton. as of right now, it appears eli will actually go down as the best of the two.

yet somehow people hated on eli badly and he got nowhere near the respect his play has earned. i expect eli to continue to improve, and eventually challenge a lot of the all time records
    "The OL is good enough for most of Eli's supposed peers..."

Why have some people said if Aaron Rodgers retired right now (why would he) would be a lock for the HOF. He isn't close to Eli in terms of his resume, as good as he is.
    No one remembers who came in second.

He is not a lock now. That is why this is such a tough discussion. He has hopefully 7 or 8 more good years left. Lets look at his numbers then beofre we have this debate.