+ Reply to Thread
    Bench Player

My opinion on Manningham

I'm a huge Michigan fan and therefor always had a soft spot for Mario even when he struggled. I don't think any team is gonna pay him like a #1 WR although I do believe he's gonna get paid in the high average of what the best #2s make(not sure of the numbers). But my point is the Giants won't be able to match that kind of contract and he's gonna walk. Unfortunately I think if he gets in an offense that doesn't make their wrs read the defense like ours hes gonna be a star. It's been said he's the best route runner on our team already and in an offense where he can just play I think he'll flourish. Either way I wish him the best for what he's done for us fans

All-Pro

Re: My opinion on Manningham

well he'd have to go back to college to find an offense that doesn't use option routes

it will be hard to re-sign him b/c some team will view him as a great #2 WR, whereas, we probably can only justify average #2 WR money with Nicks and Cruz, but we will see ... the great thing about having Eli is he can throw it to most anyone .... Cruz is fabulous, but I don't think he would have had 1,500 yards on any other team aside from maybe Saints / Pack

i think that if they are smart the Giants will take the opportunity to fill Manningham's slot with a receiver more in the Welker mode. Teams are going to use the Pats blueprint on them next year - take away the deep play, and make them beat you through running and underneath routes.
    Our run blocking was so poor this year that I can't see it improving enough to make us a dominant running team, so we'll have to drastically upgrade the damage we can do on those underneath routes.
    But we won't have to score as many pts as last year - I really think our D will be great next year - guys like TT, Goff and Austin will be itching to play after watching the SB run from the sidelines. The young players like Williams vastly accelerated their development this year.
    I think we'll be a much different team next year . And a better one, though the schedule is so brutal that I don't see the record improving dramatically.

[quote user="Bleedblue11"]I'm a huge Michigan fan and therefor always had a soft spot for Mario even when he struggled. I don't think any team is gonna pay him like a #1 WR although I do believe he's gonna get paid in the high average of what the best #2s make(not sure of the numbers). But my point is the Giants won't be able to match that kind of contract and he's gonna walk. Unfortunately I think if he gets in an offense that doesn't make their wrs read the defense like ours hes gonna be a star. It's been said he's the best route runner on our team already and in an offense where he can just play I think he'll flourish. Either way I wish him the best for what he's done for us fans[/quote]

I agree with everything except the route running.

He's by far the worst route runner on our team and that along with inconsistant hands is what keeps him from being a #1 receiver.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="freeoscar"]i think that if they are smart the Giants will take the opportunity to fill Manningham's slot with a receiver more in the Welker mode. Teams are going to use the Pats blueprint on them next year - take away the deep play, and make them beat you through running and underneath routes. Our run blocking was so poor this year that I can't see it improving enough to make us a dominant running team, so we'll have to drastically upgrade the damage we can do on those underneath routes. But we won't have to score as many pts as last year - I really think our D will be great next year - guys like TT, Goff and Austin will be itching to play after watching the SB run from the sidelines. The young players like Williams vastly accelerated their development this year. I think we'll be a much different team next year . And a better one, though the schedule is so brutal that I don't see the record improving dramatically.[/quote]

great post.

we need a true possession receiver, and we don't have one.

all of these receivers dropped too many balls last year.

we need a guy who catches 10 out of 10 passes thrown his way.

that's why i'm hoping we get a shot at steve smith. he'd be cheap and perfect.

Veteran

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="Bleedblue11"]I'm a huge Michigan fan and therefor always had a soft spot for Mario even when he struggled. I don't think any team is gonna pay him like a #1 WR although I do believe he's gonna get paid in the high average of what the best #2s make(not sure of the numbers). But my point is the Giants won't be able to match that kind of contract and he's gonna walk. Unfortunately I think if he gets in an offense that doesn't make their wrs read the defense like ours hes gonna be a star. It's been said he's the best route runner on our team already and in an offense where he can just play I think he'll flourish. Either way I wish him the best for what he's done for us fans[/quote]

He's by far the worst route runner on our team and that along with inconsistant hands is what keeps him from being a #1 receiver.[/quote]

I think he was referring to one of the analysts saying he was our best route runner. don't know who it was though.

He's gonna command money that the Giants just don't have and frankly shouldn't spend on him given they have Nicks and Cruz in the fold. It's sad because it's always nice to have "homegrown" guys but I think his time as a Giant is coming to an end.

There's no one of his caliber on the roster. He was a luxury 3rd receiver as he's a true #2 (and maybe in the right setting with some improvement could be a #1). Who they replace him with will be interesting - either they say to Ramses Barden or Devin Thomas (and he's earned a shot given his play on special teams) "it's your time to step up and prove yourself" or they sign a low-end FA or draft someone. I don't put Jernigan in that sentence as I just don't have a read on him at this point.
    "Release the Kraken!"

- Dan Dierdorf, Giants vs Dolphins, 10/30/2011

[quote user="Spizi"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="Bleedblue11"]I'm a huge Michigan fan and therefor always had a soft spot for Mario even when he struggled. I don't think any team is gonna pay him like a #1 WR although I do believe he's gonna get paid in the high average of what the best #2s make(not sure of the numbers). But my point is the Giants won't be able to match that kind of contract and he's gonna walk. Unfortunately I think if he gets in an offense that doesn't make their wrs read the defense like ours hes gonna be a star. It's been said he's the best route runner on our team already and in an offense where he can just play I think he'll flourish. Either way I wish him the best for what he's done for us fans[/quote]

He's by far the worst route runner on our team and that along with inconsistant hands is what keeps him from being a #1 receiver.[/quote]

I think he was referring to one of the analysts saying he was our best route runner. don't know who it was though.[/quote]

Man the analysts really are dumb. I agree with Kruunch, MM's routes suck. I'd say he looks faster than Nicks or Cruz, but his play is sloppier and that holds him back.

[quote user="Spizi"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="Bleedblue11"]I'm a huge Michigan fan and therefor always had a soft spot for Mario even when he struggled. I don't think any team is gonna pay him like a #1 WR although I do believe he's gonna get paid in the high average of what the best #2s make(not sure of the numbers). But my point is the Giants won't be able to match that kind of contract and he's gonna walk. Unfortunately I think if he gets in an offense that doesn't make their wrs read the defense like ours hes gonna be a star. It's been said he's the best route runner on our team already and in an offense where he can just play I think he'll flourish. Either way I wish him the best for what he's done for us fans[/quote]

I think he was referring to one of the analysts saying he was our best route runner. don't know who it was though.[/quote]

I believe it was Holt. If anything, Holt was referring to Manningham having the physical ability to be the best route runner as he is certainly the quickest receiver with little wasted movement in his breaks. It's just that his head is not in it most of the time.

[quote user="freeoscar"]i think that if they are smart the Giants will take the opportunity to fill Manningham's slot with a receiver more in the Welker mode. Teams are going to use the Pats blueprint on them next year - take away the deep play, and make them beat you through running and underneath routes.
    Our run blocking was so poor this year that I can't see it improving enough to make us a dominant running team, so we'll have to drastically upgrade the damage we can do on those underneath routes.
    But we won't have to score as many pts as last year - I really think our D will be great next year - guys like TT, Goff and Austin will be itching to play after watching the SB run from the sidelines. The young players like Williams vastly accelerated their development this year.
    I think we'll be a much different team next year . And a better one, though the schedule is so brutal that I don't see the record improving dramatically.[/quote]

yeah agreed. We will need to look into the draft for a more possession or even a big play WR to allow Cruz the slot. It will be interesting how it will all play out with everyone from IR coming back on. I wonder if we should draft a WR or just use JJ?