+ Reply to Thread

John Parry's mic'd audio from the game

From ESPN:

The Patriots had been forced to give up the ball after receiver Wes Welker failed to make a tough catch that would have given the Pats a key first down as they tried to eat up the clock.

Referee John Parry, talking to another official, was caught on tape saying of the Welker play: "That was the game."

How is it that the refs were determining that the Welker drop was the game? Was Parry that confident Eli would drive down and score. Not sure what was going through this guy's head but he gotta it right in the end?

Re: John Parry's mic'd audio from the game

[quote user="eastbayblue"]

From ESPN:

The Patriots had been forced to give up the ball after receiver Wes Welker failed to make a tough catch that would have given the Pats a key first down as they tried to eat up the clock.

Referee John Parry, talking to another official, was caught on tape saying of the Welker play: "That was the game."

How is it that the refs were determining that the Welker drop was the game? Was Parry that confident Eli would drive down and score. Not sure what was going through this guy's head but he gotta it right in the end?

[/quote]

I think what he was saying was that if Welker HAD caught the pass, that would have solidified the win for NE. Being at the 4 minute mark with a fresh set of downs and the Giants having had to use 2 timeouts already, it would have put the Pats in FG range and they could have almost completely run the clock down.

[quote user="ebick"][quote user="eastbayblue"]

From ESPN:

[/quote]

I think what he was saying was that if Welker HAD caught the pass, that would have solidified the win for NE

[/quote]

exactly

He was definitely referring to it as if Welker had caught the ball the patriots would have won. It would have us in big trouble for sure. There was about 4 minutes remaining at the time and they would had been at the red zone and we only had 1 timeout left. If they finish the drive in a touchdown we are dead. if we hold them to a field goal we have a short window to drive down for a touchdown likely with no timeouts.

[quote user="ELIteManning"]He was definitely referring to it as if Welker had caught the ball the patriots would have won. It would have us in big trouble for sure. There was about 4 minutes remaining at the time and they would had been at the red zone and we only had 1 timeout left. If they finish the drive in a touchdown we are dead. if we hold them to a field goal we have a short window to drive down for a touchdown likely with no timeouts.[/quote]

Yes, after listening to the game audio I understand now, I was reacting to the printed article quote
    which taken out of context was misleading, thanks.

if you look at the video he say and i quote "aww.. that would have been the game."

emphasis on the aww.... part

[quote user="raintheory"]if you look at the video he say and i quote "aww.. that would have been the game."

emphasis on the aww.... part
    [/quote]

i heard "ohhh"

Last few avatars: Nicks, Bradshaw, Jacobs - who's the next future ex-Giant