+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-Pro

QBs selected #1 overall - success rate

ok, Cam Newtom, Sam Bradford and Matt Stafford are still very young, so we'll pass them by for now

Alex Smith, 1st good year

Eli, what can you say, JACKPOT!

Caron Palmer, pretty much garbage, a couple decent years

David Carr, ha a nice backup

Vick, is the 2nd time the charm or is he just too fragile for his style of play

Tim Couch, ah well should have never left the couch

Peyton, 1st ballot HOF, but will he win another or even play again?

Bledsoe, this is back as far as 1993 BTW, decent, but never lived up to the hype ... best thing he did for NE was to get hurt, so Tom Brady could take over

Jeff George, nothin but an arm

Aikman - 1989 - HOFer, so we'll end it here

point is that #1 picks have enormous pressure and overall they usually never live up to the hype esp. QBs, add to that the brutal fans and media in the New York market ... add to that the hatred of New York players/teams around the country ... add to that Archie refusing to let Eli play in San Diego ... has a player ever had more pressure to perform???

Re: QBs selected #1 overall - success rate

Peyton has a success rate, I don't care about how many rings he has.

It's pretty obvious how bad that team was without Peyton

All-Pro

[quote user="MikeIsaGiant"]Peyton has a success rate, I don't care about how many rings he has.

It's pretty obvious how bad that team was without Peyton[/quote]

oh very true, but the point is he had little to no pressure playing for Indy, he got the keys to the city the moment he arrived and he was the immediate hero ... he struggled early on as most young QBs do ... but never was there even a whisper of criticizism in Indy ... nationally a little, but not locally

Veteran

Thank God for Ernie Accorsi, that's all I'll say.

[quote user="JMFP2"]

[/quote]

and Well Mara because he was the one pushing for Coughlin

Ernie hated Coughlin

our recent success is absolutely a credit to the strong bonding team of Manning and Coughlin

[quote user="G-Man67"]ok, Cam Newtom, Sam Bradford and Matt Stafford are still very young, so we'll pass them by for now

Alex Smith, 1st good year

Eli, what can you say, JACKPOT!

Caron Palmer, pretty much garbage, a couple decent years

David Carr, ha a nice backup

Vick, is the 2nd time the charm or is he just too fragile for his style of play

Tim Couch, ah well should have never left the couch

Peyton, 1st ballot HOF, but will he win another or even play again?

Bledsoe, this is back as far as 1993 BTW, decent, but never lived up to the hype ... best thing he did for NE was to get hurt, so Tom Brady could take over

Jeff George, nothin but an arm

Aikman - 1989 - HOFer, so we'll end it here

point is that #1 picks have enormous pressure and overall they usually never live up to the hype esp. QBs, add to that the brutal fans and media in the New York market ... add to that the hatred of New York players/teams around the country ... add to that Archie refusing to let Eli play in San Diego ... has a player ever had more pressure to perform???[/quote]

i did the work acouple years ago when fans where saying we needed to draft another QB in the 1st round.

From memory, over the last 5 years, in the first 2 rounds, only about 1/10th of the QBs drafted had starting jobs, or had starting jobs where people expected them to keep them.

guys are forgetting names like Vince Young, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Matt Leinart, JP Losman, Brian Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman.

ALL of them are 1st round QBs.

We literally don't know how fortunate we are to have drafted one that's worked out.

Easily, most of them end up as back-ups or has beens.

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="JMFP2"]

[/quote] and Well Mara because he was the one pushing for Coughlin Ernie hated Coughlin our recent success is absolutely a credit to the strong bonding team of Manning and Coughlin[/quote]

+1

Ernie all but said in his book that he would have fired Coughlin if he hadn't retired.

Lol @ calling palmer garbage.
    Difference in the successful ones then not is they were placed in a good position to succeed.

All-Pro

[quote user="tripleaamin9"]Lol @ calling palmer garbage. Difference in the successful ones then not is they were placed in a good position to succeed.[/quote]

Carson Palmer is probably the best and will continue to be the best QB out of USC. Calling him garbage is ridiculous. He was a great QB and possibly on his way before his knee injury. He just isnt the same after that. He was great at one point though.

A couple of names I didn't see there, for better or worse...

Jemarcus Russell

Vinny Testeverde

John Elway

That takes us back through the 80's

I thought David Klinger was one but I was incorrect. Cincy's had some rough ones.....