+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Dwayne Allen vs Coby Fleener

Jerry is drafting BAP that would be O-LINE

[quote user="Raptor22"][quote user="Antwuan"]What if both players are on the board @ 32? Who do you think the Giants will select?

Also who do you think is a better overall TE?[/quote]

It really depends on what the rest of the board looks like...

If the two are the best two players left on the board, I think Allen is the more pro-ready, but Fleener's height/weight/speed + upside looks more like a Giants' draft pick.

6 of one, half dozen of the other.

[/quote]gREATEST PICS EVER!

[quote user="Raptor22"][quote user="Neverend"]I'd have to disagree with Raptor though, I think Fleener is more of the finished product (aside from gaining more strength) whereas Allen still has more developing to do[/quote]

What I meant was that Fleener still has to grow into his body, and can stand refinement in his technique (particularly blocking). Both now, and further on as he gains strength/mass. As he adds mass his role/game might change, or expand, as well he'll have to get used to being bigger.

I think Allen is more set. He could use polish in a pro system, but he doesn't need the physical development (and have to get used to the additional mass as well).

As a pass catcher in a pro system, yeah I agree that Fleener is probably the more pro-ready, since he's been in a pro system with a pro coach.
    [/quote]

Ah, then I'd have to agree with you. Fleener is more raw blocking (not by technique though imo) as they don't use him as an in-line TE very often.

[quote user="Antwuan"]What if both players are on the board @ 32? Who do you think the Giants will select?

Also who do you think is a better overall TE?[/quote]

I keep hearing Fleener's name pop up and he does sound more like the kind of TE the Giants would draft (big athletic speciman).

I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Veteran

wrong thread whoops

[quote user="bLuereverie"]I like Allen, but I just see him utilized in the same manner as Beckum. He may very well be more prolific in that role, just not with the Giants.[/quote] fleener is more like bekum than allan is.

[quote user="giantman8493"][quote user="bLuereverie"]I like Allen, but I just see him utilized in the same manner as Beckum. He may very well be more prolific in that role, just not with the Giants.[/quote] fleener is more like bekum than allan is.[/quote]

They're both pass catching tight ends.

After watching tape on them both my feeling is that Coby Fleener might be the better choice in terms of play making TE translating into the NFL.

The current trend of successful TEs in the NFL are ex-basketball players of the 6-6+ variety which Fleener fits and Allen does not, Allen is more of the Atonio Gates (without the amazing speed and yes I know Gates played BBall) and Alge Crumpler mold.

Fleener is closer to the Gronkowski, Tony Gonzalez, Jimmy Graham style which I would love to see on the Giants.

And while you can add size to Fleener, you can't add height to Allen.

Both have good hands ... Fleener seems to have slightly better hands.

Allen has a bad habit of not seeing the sticks (consistantly comes up a yard short on 3rd down scenarios) which leads me to believe that Fleener is actually the better route runner.

I was an Allen fan, but the more I look at Fleener, the more I like him over Allen.

P.S. - Both can block, but neither are particular fearsome in that regard ... Fleener has the better frame for it imo, but Allen appears to have a better motor when blocking.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="giantman8493"][quote user="bLuereverie"]I like Allen, but I just see him utilized in the same manner as Beckum. He may very well be more prolific in that role, just not with the Giants.[/quote] fleener is more like bekum than allan is.[/quote]

They're both pass catching tight ends.

After watching tape on them both my feeling is that Coby Fleener might be the better choice in terms of play making TE translating into the NFL.

The current trend of successful TEs in the NFL are ex-basketball players of the 6-6+ variety which Fleener fits and Allen does not, Allen is more of the Atonio Gates (without the amazing speed and yes I know Gates played BBall) and Alge Crumpler mold.

Fleener is closer to the Gronkowski, Tony Gonzalez, Jimmy Graham style which I would love to see on the Giants.

And while you can add size to Fleener, you can't add height to Allen.

Both have good hands ... Fleener seems to have slightly better hands.

Allen has a bad habit of not seeing the sticks (consistantly comes up a yard short on 3rd down scenarios) which leads me to believe that Fleener is actually the better route runner.

I was an Allen fan, but the more I look at Fleener, the more I like him over Allen.

P.S. - Both can block, but neither are particular fearsome in that regard ... Fleener has the better frame for it imo, but Allen appears to have a better motor when blocking.[/quote]

Most of that is fair to say, although I do not agree that Fleener has better hands. Both players show excellent hands, but Allen has shown a better ability to catch in traffic and has shown more of a rebounders mentality while Fleener shows more over-the-shoulder- downfield type receptions. Both players catch the ball with their hands, something I have always felt is more important for TEs than any other receiveing position.

Barring a bad combine or a bad measuables I do think Allen will be rated slightly higher then Fleener because his tape shows more versatility. He was used all over the field, as a split out, a slot reciever, a lead blocker and a tight end. Allen was asked to run a wider variety of routes than Fleener. However, I could also see the Giants liking Fleener because what he was asked to do in college very much resembles what we do here.

The 1 thing that hurts Fleener is he did struggle to get a free release at times. Much moreso than Allen who showed a quicker release(partly because he wasnt asked to line up tight to the line as much where a free release can be harder.) But, Allen did shows a quicker 1st step off the line.

[quote user="giantman8493"][quote user="bLuereverie"]I like Allen, but I just see him utilized in the same manner as Beckum. He may very well be more prolific in that role, just not with the Giants.[/quote] fleener is more like bekum than allan is.[/quote]

How is Fleener like Beckum?

Dwayne Allen was moved from Hback to Wingback to the outside whereas Fleener looks more capable of filling the in-line role.

I would love to have Fleener's height but Allen has the better quickness that gives the opposing defenses big time trouble.Toss up for me both would help a ton,and with our cap issues and having both of our top 2 TEs go down with serious injuries,you know Reese will pick a TE pretty early maybe not 1st but most definitly afterwards.Just think if we can keep our trio together plus add a fast TE to go along with those guys plus the running game,the offense will be unstoppable.