+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

REPORT: EAGLES WILL FRANCHISE JACKSON

REPORT: EAGLES WILL FRANCHISE JACKSON

"To the surprise of some, the Eagles will keep WR DeSean Jackson off the
    free-agent market, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. The team
    instead will sign him with their franchise tag.<div class="m10l m10r"><div class="story_body line ">

The newspaper reports on Monday that, "The Eagles are going to franchise
    DeSean Jackson, count on it." Reporter Jeff McLane states that the team will not
    let Jackson, who will enter his fifth NFL season in 2012, hit the free-agent
    market. Instead, the Eagles will either franchise and keep him, franchise and
    trade him or franchise him and then attempt to work out a long-term contract.
    The franchise tag for receivers this season is approximately $9.5 million.</p>

Jackson's production slipped a bit in 2011, as he caught 58 passes for 961
    yards and four TDs. He also gained a career-low 6.7 yards per punt return, and
    for the first season in his four-year career, he didn't return a punt for a
    touchdown.</p>

There were also off-field issues for the receiver, as he admitted to being
    distracted by his contract situation, argued with head coach Andy Reid and was
    held out of the team's Week 10 loss to the Cardinals after missing a
    special-teams meeting because he overslept.</p>

The newspaper states that Jackson wants to remain an Eagle, but the team will
    do what they believe is best long-term. That could mean working out a contract
    extension, although Jackson's asking price — believed to be in the five-year,
    $50 million range, per the report — is more than the organization has in
    mind."</p></div></div>

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: REPORT: EAGLES WILL FRANCHISE JACKSON

Wow I'm surprised at that as well.

Ah well ... guess Philly loved his contract shenanigans so much the first time they want to repeat it.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]REPORT: EAGLES WILL FRANCHISE JACKSON

"To the surprise of some, the Eagles will keep WR DeSean Jackson off the free-agent market, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. The team instead will sign him with their franchise tag.
    <DIV class="m10l m10r">
    <DIV class="story_body line ">

The newspaper reports on Monday that, "The Eagles are going to franchise DeSean Jackson, count on it." Reporter Jeff McLane states that the team will not let Jackson, who will enter his fifth NFL season in 2012, hit the free-agent market. Instead, the Eagles will either franchise and keep him, franchise and trade him or franchise him and then attempt to work out a long-term contract. The franchise tag for receivers this season is approximately $9.5 million.</P>

Jackson's production slipped a bit in 2011, as he caught 58 passes for 961 yards and four TDs. He also gained a career-low 6.7 yards per punt return, and for the first season in his four-year career, he didn't return a punt for a touchdown.</P>

There were also off-field issues for the receiver, as he admitted to being distracted by his contract situation, argued with head coach Andy Reid and was held out of the team's Week 10 loss to the Cardinals after missing a special-teams meeting because he overslept.</P>

The newspaper states that Jackson wants to remain an Eagle, but the team will do what they believe is best long-term. That could mean working out a contract extension, although Jackson's asking price — believed to be in the five-year, $50 million range, per the report — is more than the organization has in mind."</P></DIV></DIV>

[/quote]</P>

For all of Jackson's faults, the Eagles would be insane to let him go. He means more to their offense than people realize. His ability to get behind the defense is what keeps defenders from goign all out to get McCoy and Vick. He makes Vick a better QB b/c all Vick has to do is buy time with his legs and heave it up to Jackson who'll outrun and defense when given time. </P>

He'll never be a 90+ catch receiver, but his deep speed opens up alot for their offense. </P>
    All Hail The New York Giants!!

Is he worth the kind of money they'd have to pay him to franchise him??

If not, I'm not sure what team would trade a high draft pick to take on that salary. Afterall, i think the Eagles really want to trade him away for a draft pick at this point.
    We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

[quote user="RagTime Blue"]Is he worth the kind of money they'd have to pay him to franchise him??

If not, I'm not sure what team would trade a high draft pick to take on that salary. Afterall, i think the Eagles really want to trade him away for a draft pick at this point.
    [/quote]

Cheaper than paying what he's going to ask for.

EDIT:Franchise-tag
    values for 2012
    <div style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ccc 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 0px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; MARGIN: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; WIDTH: 225px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: arial; FLOAT: right; FONT-SIZE: 11px; BORDER-TOP: #ccc 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #ccc 0px solid; PADDING-TOP: 10px" id="yui_3_4_1_1_1329158656625_1263" class="removeformobile"><div style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #eee 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #eee 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial; FONT-SIZE: 11px; BORDER-TOP: #eee 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #eee 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 0px">
    </div></div>
    <div style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dddddd; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 3px; FONT-SIZE: 12px; PADDING-TOP: 5px"> </div>
    Figures
    for next season by position and players who could be
    impacted

Quarterback: $14.4 million (down from $16.1 million in
    2011, $16.4 million in 2010); Drew Brees

Running back: $7.7
    million (down from $9.6 million in 2011, $8.2 million in 2010); Matt Forte, Ray Rice

Wide
    receiver:
    $9.4 million (down from 11.4 million in 2011, $9.5 million in
    2010); DeSean Jackson, Vincent Jackson*, Steve
    Johnson, Wes Welker

Tight
    end:
    $5.4 million (down from $7.3 million in 2011, $5.9 million in 2010);
    Fred Davis, <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1329158656625_363" class="player-flyout" href="../players/jermichaelfinley/profile?id=FIN403212">Jermichael
    Finley</a>

Offensive line: $9.4 million (down from $10.1 million
    in 2011, $10.7 million in 2010); <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1329158656625_364" class="player-flyout" href="../players/bengrubbs/profile?id=GRU078787">Ben
    Grubbs</a>, <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1329158656625_365" class="player-flyout" href="../players/carlnicks/profile?id=NIC723945">Carl
    Nicks</a>

Defensive end: $10.6 million (down from $13 million in
    2011, $12.4 million in 2010); Jason Jones, <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1329158656625_366" class="player-flyout" href="../players/mariowilliams/profile?id=WIL431243">Mario
    Williams</a>*

Defensive tackle: $7.9 million (down from $12.5
    million in 2011; it was $7 million in 2010); <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1329158656625_367" class="player-flyout" href="../players/paulsoliai/profile?id=SOL128376">Paul
    Soliai</a>*

Linebacker: $8.8 million (down from $10.1 million in
    2011, $9.7 million in 2010); <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1329158656625_368" class="player-flyout" href="../players/stephentulloch/profile?id=TUL394525">Stephen
    Tulloch</a>

Cornerback: $10.6 million (down from $13.5 million in
    2011; tag was $9.6 million in 2010); Cortland Finnegan, <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1329158656625_370" class="player-flyout" href="../players/brentgrimes/profile?id=GRI674817">Brent
    Grimes</a>

Safety: $6.2 million (down from $8.8 million in 2011,
    $6.5 million in 2010); LaRon Landry

* -
    Player who'd receive more money because it'd be his second year in a row on the
    franchise tag, meaning he'd make 120 percent of his 2011
    salary"
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Veteran

[quote user="RagTime Blue"]Is he worth the kind of money they'd have to pay him to franchise him??

If not, I'm not sure what team would trade a high draft pick to take on that salary.* Afterall, i think the Eagles really want to trade him away for a draft pick at this point.
    [/quote]

Agreed. The eagles are gonna pay him top money and wind up getting stuck with him. I couldn't see how any team would be willing to take on a large contract AND trade away high picks for him.

Oddly enough, I think this is actually a GOOD move by the Eagles. They can see if this previous year was just a fluke and hope that he returns to form. If not, just let him test the waters of FA the next season and you aren't stuck with him in a long term deal.

Talent wise I agree ... but man that locker room is just primed to implode again.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"]Talent wise I agree ... but man that locker room is just primed to implode again.[/quote]

We can only hope []

All-Pro

well Vick is one of the better impromtu QBs and Jackson might be the best impromtu WR, so from that standpoint you can understand

the Eagles are also about as desparate as desparate can be

but as others have pointed out ... if he was unhappy last year ... how is he going to feel this year