+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kruunch's First Mock Draft ... Ever!

Re: Kruunch's First Mock Draft ... Ever!

[quote user="allentown PA"]are there any backs worth taking in the first where they are picking? if so would u guys be opposed? I usually would be against a back that early but this may be the year they do it...I would be thrilled with this mock draft would like allen at TE in the first but this kid would be a fine pick as well imo.[/quote]

Trent Richardson if he falls to us.

Otherwise this draft is pretty light at RB.

However I'm not sure I'd go that route for a RB. Even if we lose Jacobs we have a stable corps on our team currently with AB, Ware, Scott and Brown. I could see a low free agent added to the mix for some competition.

I have met you. You dont even look good in a winter coat let alone a wet t-shirt... -GameTime

[quote user="gmen0820"]I would rather have Burfict in the third. Other than that, good mock. Not the biggest Lloka fan though.[/quote]

I don't get the Iloka hate ... 6'3 and he's one of the fastest (if not THE fastest) Safeties in the draft.

And he's really football smart.

Might need some stronger technique, but you can teach that. You can't teach his size and speed.

I know some boards have rated him much lower but I really think this kid gets taken between the second and third round. Since we pick so late, second for us.

Now if you think we go Mark Barron in the first (should he fall that far) I can't argue with that.

I have met you. You dont even look good in a winter coat let alone a wet t-shirt... -GameTime

There's absolutely no way that Burflict will be available in the 3rd. I'm not sure he'll make it out of the first.

Otherwise you've got some guys I've also got my eyes on. Brandon Mosley and Keenan Robinson are 2 of them. I also like McNutt but certainly wouldn't say he has better hands than Nicks. I'm not sure how you can say anyone has better hands than him. Not a great athlete, but good size and could be a decent addition to our WRs... I think he has a lot of room to get better.

Rainey is a guy I go back and forth on but really like overall. You can't deny his production and durability. Dude is a workhorse... needs to be taught how to block though.

[quote user="critters"]There's absolutely no way that Burflict will be available in the 3rd. I'm not sure he'll make it out of the first.

Otherwise you've got some guys I've also got my eyes on. Brandon Mosley and Keenan Robinson are 2 of them. I also like McNutt but certainly wouldn't say he has better hands than Nicks. I'm not sure how you can say anyone has better hands than him. Not a great athlete, but good size and could be a decent addition to our WRs... I think he has a lot of room to get better.

Rainey is a guy I go back and forth on but really like overall. You can't deny his production and durability. Dude is a workhorse... needs to be taught how to block though.
    [/quote]

Apparently we forgot Nicks' string of drops a few games in a row this year.

Nicks has good hands, don't get me wrong, but McNutt supposedly has hands that are better then Steve Smith (could be hype ... just saying what I'm hearing).

Regarding Burflict ... he won't go in the first and most likely not the second because he's a liability in the Tampa 2 and doesn't see action during Nickel packages (which more and more teams are running a ton of in this pass happy era).

I could definitely be wrong here, but CBS has him graded as a solid 3rd rounder and I agree with the reasoning behind it.

I don't think we go Burflict (even in the 3rd) because we have 2 legitimate starting MLBs (Goff, Boley) and 4 back up MLBs (Blackburn, Jones, Herzlich, Paysinger).

Rainey is a total project to be sure but can you imagine Ray Rice on the Giants? (that's who this kid reminds me of). And we desperately need a back who can catch out of the backfield.

[quote user="Kruunch"]And after my picks you'll probably see why. I am admittedly the worst judge of talent from the college ranks translating to the NFL.

So without further ado:

1) Coby Fleener (TE) - Tall (6-6") and lanky kid who is a down field threat both on the outside and in the seam. Naturally plays tight to the tackle (where we normally run our TEs from) and has excellent hands. Adequet blocker but with room for improvement. I like this kid over Dwayne Allen (they are 1 and 1a for TEs in the draft this year). BPA here AND a need position.

2) George Iloka (FS) - Second best Safety in the draft (after Mark Barron) with awesome size (6-3, 218) and the potential to tween into LBer. Strong in coverage, good speed and all arms. This marries BPA and need with the loss of Deon Grant.

3) Brandon Mosely (OT) - This was a toss up with Vontaze Burflict (ILB). Burflict would probably end up being BPA at this pick if he's still available, however I believe the Giants are going to feel stocked at LBer going into 2012 with the return of Goff, Tracy and Sintim from injury and three LBers from the last draft class. After that, we have a TE (Ladarius Green) at the BPA area. We picked one of those so its on to BPA + need and that puts us in the market for a Right Tackle and Brandon Mosely is a road grader. 6-5, 305 with room to grow and athletic as all get out (started HS as a TE). A very nice marriage of BPA + need (more need here possibly but a solid solid pick). This adds depth to our right side with the loss of Kareem McKenzie and competition for Brewer for the starting job.

4) Keenan Robinson (LB) - On day 2 is where I think the Giants go bang for the buck and start adding depth/competition to our LBer corps. Texas kid with really good size (6-3, 240) and speed (especially sideline to sideline). Excellent pass coverage (the main selling point here) and aggressive at the point of the pass. Shows outstanding position awareness. Solid against the run, and loves to hit/get hit. Doesn't shy away from contact with linemen.

5) Marvin McNutt (WR) - This was a toss up with Jake Bequette (DE) and I think knowing the Giants they will probably go with the depth of an up and comer DE. However, I'm going with the idea that the Giants are covered there with Craig Marshall and McNutt provides incredible upside to our WR corps. A very polished route runner with good speed and great size (6-2") and absolutely great hands (think Nicks but better). His downside is lack of burst speed and shiftiness, preferring to use his body size to shield off defenders and depending on his large hands to fend off jams (which works for him very well). He won't be a home run threat, but is a very savvy and smart receiver who would play very well underneath in the possession game, especially when teamed up with Nicks and Cruz. Oh and he also used to be a QB *grin*.

6) Bobby Rainy (RB) - Now we come to our project players and this kid has just an enormous amount of upside. The knocks on him are his size (5-7', 208) and usage (carried over 1000 times in college). However he runs a 4.4 40, has power, shiftiness and has never been injured ... ever. Oh and he catches out of the backfield like a natural. Think poor-man's Ray Rice with tons and TONS of upside (name of the game at the #6 pick). Given that Jacobs is probably gone, Rainy adds much needed competition to our backfield with backups DJ Ware and Andre Brown.

NOTE: Look at Micah Pellerin (CB) in the 5th round as a possible swap for Marvin McNutt (WR) or Jake Bequette (DE). Great size (6-1, 195) and speed (4.4 40). Converted WR ... needs technique help but has all and more of the athletic tools of a starting CB in the NFL and is a total ball hawk.

What ya think?[/quote] Some of your picks actually make a lot of sense. Fleener fills a need,Is one of the top Players available and fits the Giants athletic /size mold.
    Same thing with Ilokka . Kennan Robinson I think will go higher then the 4th .He is physically very talented.Why I think he is a guy the Giants would like not sure if they would take him. I think the Giants have enough at OLB with Boley,Kiwi and Williams. I dont think he can play inside in the NFL. Mcnutt is a player im not overly high on he got completely shut down against the 2 best corners he faced this season. The guy simply could not get open against Dennard and Fleming.

Veteran

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="Kruunch"]And after my picks you'll probably see why. I am admittedly the worst judge of talent from the college ranks translating to the NFL.

So without further ado:

1) Coby Fleener (TE) - Tall (6-6") and lanky kid who is a down field threat both on the outside and in the seam. Naturally plays tight to the tackle (where we normally run our TEs from) and has excellent hands. Adequet blocker but with room for improvement. I like this kid over Dwayne Allen (they are 1 and 1a for TEs in the draft this year). BPA here AND a need position.

2) George Iloka (FS) - Second best Safety in the draft (after Mark Barron) with awesome size (6-3, 218) and the potential to tween into LBer. Strong in coverage, good speed and all arms. This marries BPA and need with the loss of Deon Grant.

3) Brandon Mosely (OT) - This was a toss up with Vontaze Burflict (ILB). Burflict would probably end up being BPA at this pick if he's still available, however I believe the Giants are going to feel stocked at LBer going into 2012 with the return of Goff, Tracy and Sintim from injury and three LBers from the last draft class. After that, we have a TE (Ladarius Green) at the BPA area. We picked one of those so its on to BPA + need and that puts us in the market for a Right Tackle and Brandon Mosely is a road grader. 6-5, 305 with room to grow and athletic as all get out (started HS as a TE). A very nice marriage of BPA + need (more need here possibly but a solid solid pick). This adds depth to our right side with the loss of Kareem McKenzie and competition for Brewer for the starting job.

4) Keenan Robinson (LB) - On day 2 is where I think the Giants go bang for the buck and start adding depth/competition to our LBer corps. Texas kid with really good size (6-3, 240) and speed (especially sideline to sideline). Excellent pass coverage (the main selling point here) and aggressive at the point of the pass. Shows outstanding position awareness. Solid against the run, and loves to hit/get hit. Doesn't shy away from contact with linemen.

5) Marvin McNutt (WR) - This was a toss up with Jake Bequette (DE) and I think knowing the Giants they will probably go with the depth of an up and comer DE. However, I'm going with the idea that the Giants are covered there with Craig Marshall and McNutt provides incredible upside to our WR corps. A very polished route runner with good speed and great size (6-2") and absolutely great hands (think Nicks but better). His downside is lack of burst speed and shiftiness, preferring to use his body size to shield off defenders and depending on his large hands to fend off jams (which works for him very well). He won't be a home run threat, but is a very savvy and smart receiver who would play very well underneath in the possession game, especially when teamed up with Nicks and Cruz. Oh and he also used to be a QB *grin*.

6) Bobby Rainy (RB) - Now we come to our project players and this kid has just an enormous amount of upside. The knocks on him are his size (5-7', 208) and usage (carried over 1000 times in college). However he runs a 4.4 40, has power, shiftiness and has never been injured ... ever. Oh and he catches out of the backfield like a natural. Think poor-man's Ray Rice with tons and TONS of upside (name of the game at the #6 pick). Given that Jacobs is probably gone, Rainy adds much needed competition to our backfield with backups DJ Ware and Andre Brown.

NOTE: Look at Micah Pellerin (CB) in the 5th round as a possible swap for Marvin McNutt (WR) or Jake Bequette (DE). Great size (6-1, 195) and speed (4.4 40). Converted WR ... needs technique help but has all and more of the athletic tools of a starting CB in the NFL and is a total ball hawk.

What ya think?[/quote] Some of your picks actually make a lot of sense. Fleener fills a need,Is one of the top Players available and fits the Giants athletic /size mold.
    Same thing with Ilokka . Kennan Robinson I think will go higher then the 4th .He is physically very talented.Why I think he is a guy the Giants would like not sure if they would take him. I think the Giants have enough at OLB with Boley,Kiwi and Williams. I dont think he can play inside in the NFL. Mcnutt is a player im not overly high on he got completely shut down against the 2 best corners he faced this season. The guy simply could not get open against Dennard and Fleming.[/quote]

I would be THRILLED to get Iloka in the 2nd.

What would you think about Emmanuel Acho in the rd or 4th? He could play inside or out, depending on how Goff/Jones/Herz look in camp, and he's got the size/arm length the Giants like.

[quote user="Raptor22"]I would be THRILLED to get Iloka in the 2nd.

What would you think about Emmanuel Acho in the rd or 4th? He could play inside or out, depending on how Goff/Jones/Herz look in camp, and he's got the size/arm length the Giants like.
    [/quote]

Acho is more of a 5th round talent and I'm not sure he adds quality to our current LBing corps.

He's a little soft in coverage and can get beat badly on the double moves and bites on look offs.

Solid guy down hill and very good on the edge. Passable pass rusher when blitzing.

This is just regurgitating what I read on him (haven't actually seen him play). My concerns (with any LBer prospect) would be his coverage skills.

Kennan Robinson is one of the higher rated LBer prospects in that regard (which is why I liked him). In this era of pass happy offenses, you need your LBers to double as Safeties.

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]Some of your picks actually make a lot of sense. Fleener fills a need,Is one of the top Players available and fits the Giants athletic /size mold.
    Same thing with Ilokka . Kennan Robinson I think will go higher then the 4th .He is physically very talented.Why I think he is a guy the Giants would like not sure if they would take him. I think the Giants have enough at OLB with Boley,Kiwi and Williams. I dont think he can play inside in the NFL. Mcnutt is a player im not overly high on he got completely shut down against the 2 best corners he faced this season. The guy simply could not get open against Dennard and Fleming.[/quote]

I agree that we're stacked at LBer, both OLB and MLB (numbers wise). I think Kennan Robinson would bring an upgrade in talent that we need (to allow Kiwi to get back to DE). But yeah I could easily see the Giants looking past the LBer position in this draft as well.

McNutt I see as more of a Steve Smith type but taller. Possession receiver all the way. Don't forget, in our offense he'd be matched up against a Safety more times then not. He'd end up being a great "move the chains" sort of player. Not sure if that's what we want out of our 3rd receiver if we're going to draft one ... might want the speedster and possible Nicks/Cruz replacement should one of them go down.

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="critters"]There's absolutely no way that Burflict will be available in the 3rd. I'm not sure he'll make it out of the first.

[/quote]

Apparently we forgot Nicks' string of drops a few games in a row this year.

Nicks has good hands, don't get me wrong, but McNutt supposedly has hands that are better then Steve Smith (could be hype ... just saying what I'm hearing).

Regarding Burflict ... he won't go in the first and most likely not the second because he's a liability in the Tampa 2 and doesn't see action during Nickel packages (which more and more teams are running a ton of in this pass happy era).

I could definitely be wrong here, but CBS has him graded as a solid 3rd rounder and I agree with the reasoning behind it.

I don't think we go Burflict (even in the 3rd) because we have 2 legitimate starting MLBs (Goff, Boley) and 4 back up MLBs (Blackburn, Jones, Herzlich, Paysinger).

Rainey is a total project to be sure but can you imagine Ray Rice on the Giants? (that's who this kid reminds me of). And we desperately need a back who can catch out of the backfield.[/quote]

He had some drops, haven't forgotten..but I could easily say "Someone's forgotten all the miraculous catches he makes." It was odd towards the end of the year how he'd drop an easy catch then make some highlight reel catch minutes after.

I don't see any chance of Burflict making it out of the 2nd round. Guess we'll see.

I definitely see Rainey in that Ray Rice mode of backs. But:
    "Bobby Rainey Evaluation:

Short, highly productive, tight-hipped mid-major
    back who popped some big runs against top competition. However, he has
    below-average foot speed, is not equipped to move the chains inside and
    struggles as a receiver and blocker."</p>

Not like he couldn't be taught to catch if he does have problems, and getting him in space is exactly how we would want to use him. I'd be more concerned with the blocking which I put A LOT of importance on... especially with us looking to be more pass heavy in the future.
    </p>

As for MLB, I've loved Goff since his days at Vandy and was ecstatic when we drafted him and I'm a big fan of Boley... we may not need to address the MLB in this draft, just hope we don't waste a pick like we did with Jones just to add some more depth (I really didn't like that pick). If we can't get Hightower or Kuechly, I say wait til late in the draft or rely on guys we already have. There's a LB that plays for Alabama named CJ Mosley that is a match made in heaven for the Giants so I'd be fine with putting it off for another year. I mention Alabama's LBs often because I love the way they are used. They are big guys that are nightmares against the run but always seem to play better coverage then their size would lead you to think. Not to mention their football IQ has to be high to be in Saban's system. Mosley is one of the best LBs in coverage that I have seen in a long long time. Oddly enough, I think Walterfootball already has him projected as our first round pick in next year's draft.</p>

</p>

Back to McNutt, not a guy I'd have on my list, but definitely not a bad get in regards to how you mention using him. I've been saying for a while that I wanted to get Joe Adams (WR out of Arkansas) but unfortunately his stock is doing what I expected and skyrocketing, so we'd have to go WR earlier then I think we need in order to get him. BJ Cunningham out of MSU is a guy I've been mentioning for a while that I would like to target in a later round. What he's done at MSU has been really impressive.
    </p>

[quote user="critters"]

I definitely see Rainey in that Ray Rice mode of backs. But:
    "Bobby Rainey Evaluation:

Short, highly productive, tight-hipped mid-major
    back who popped some big runs against top competition. However, he has
    below-average foot speed, is not equipped to move the chains inside and
    struggles as a receiver and blocker."</p>

Not like he couldn't be taught to catch if he does have problems, and getting him in space is exactly how we would want to use him. I'd be more concerned with the blocking which I put A LOT of importance on... especially with us looking to be more pass heavy in the future.
    [/quote]

Depends who's evaluation you believe:

Strengths: Possesses very quick feet to accelerate through the hole. Good lateral agility and balance to avoid defenders in tight quarters and can make would-be tacklers look silly in the open field. Surprisingly powerful for his short stature due to a strong lower body, good forward lean and determined running. Good stiff-arm. Craft runner. Sets up his blocks and senses defenders leaning, showing the ability to cut quickly to avoid them. Durable runner. Never missed a game due to injury over his career, which included starting the final three seasons and carrying the ball over 700 times over the past two seasons. Answered the bell when facing top competition, proving that he wasn't just a product of weak competition. <font size=4>Improved as a receiver throughout his career. Looks comfortable gathering passes out of the backfield and flashes the ability to pluck the ball outside of his frame.</font> Experienced kick returner with the vision and burst to contribute in this area at the next level.

Weaknesses: Possesses a shorter than ideal frame and isn't a powerful interior runner. Sprung some big runs against quality competition but the vast majority of his production has come against questionable competition. Didn't separate himself versus the pack at the East-West Shrine Game. Has seen an awful lot of touches over his career (1,038) and may have relatively little tread left on his tires. Will be an older prospect entering the NFL as he will turn 25 years old as a rookie.

He also runs a 4.4 40 ... making one of the fastest backs in this draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...8/bobby-rainey

+ Reply to Thread