+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kruunch's First Mock Draft ... Ever!

And after my picks you'll probably see why. I am admittedly the worst judge of talent from the college ranks translating to the NFL.

So without further ado:

1) Coby Fleener (TE) - Tall (6-6") and lanky kid who is a down field threat both on the outside and in the seam. Naturally plays tight to the tackle (where we normally run our TEs from) and has excellent hands. Adequet blocker but with room for improvement. I like this kid over Dwayne Allen (they are 1 and 1a for TEs in the draft this year). BPA here AND a need position.

2) George Iloka (FS) - Second best Safety in the draft (after Mark Barron) with awesome size (6-3, 218) and the potential to tween into LBer. Strong in coverage, good speed and all arms. This marries BPA and need with the loss of Deon Grant.

3) Brandon Mosely (OT) - This was a toss up with Vontaze Burflict (ILB). Burflict would probably end up being BPA at this pick if he's still available, however I believe the Giants are going to feel stocked at LBer going into 2012 with the return of Goff, Tracy and Sintim from injury and three LBers from the last draft class. After that, we have a TE (Ladarius Green) at the BPA area. We picked one of those so its on to BPA + need and that puts us in the market for a Right Tackle and Brandon Mosely is a road grader. 6-5, 305 with room to grow and athletic as all get out (started HS as a TE). A very nice marriage of BPA + need (more need here possibly but a solid solid pick). This adds depth to our right side with the loss of Kareem McKenzie and competition for Brewer for the starting job.

4) Keenan Robinson (LB) - On day 2 is where I think the Giants go bang for the buck and start adding depth/competition to our LBer corps. Texas kid with really good size (6-3, 240) and speed (especially sideline to sideline). Excellent pass coverage (the main selling point here) and aggressive at the point of the pass. Shows outstanding position awareness. Solid against the run, and loves to hit/get hit. Doesn't shy away from contact with linemen.

5) Marvin McNutt (WR) - This was a toss up with Jake Bequette (DE) and I think knowing the Giants they will probably go with the depth of an up and comer DE. However, I'm going with the idea that the Giants are covered there with Craig Marshall and McNutt provides incredible upside to our WR corps. A very polished route runner with good speed and great size (6-2") and absolutely great hands (think Nicks but better). His downside is lack of burst speed and shiftiness, preferring to use his body size to shield off defenders and depending on his large hands to fend off jams (which works for him very well). He won't be a home run threat, but is a very savvy and smart receiver who would play very well underneath in the possession game, especially when teamed up with Nicks and Cruz. Oh and he also used to be a QB *grin*.

6) Bobby Rainy (RB) - Now we come to our project players and this kid has just an enormous amount of upside. The knocks on him are his size (5-7', 208) and usage (carried over 1000 times in college). However he runs a 4.4 40, has power, shiftiness and has never been injured ... ever. Oh and he catches out of the backfield like a natural. Think poor-man's Ray Rice with tons and TONS of upside (name of the game at the #6 pick). Given that Jacobs is probably gone, Rainy adds much needed competition to our backfield with backups DJ Ware and Andre Brown.

NOTE: Look at Micah Pellerin (CB) in the 5th round as a possible swap for Marvin McNutt (WR) or Jake Bequette (DE). Great size (6-1, 195) and speed (4.4 40). Converted WR ... needs technique help but has all and more of the athletic tools of a starting CB in the NFL and is a total ball hawk.

What ya think?
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Re: Kruunch's First Mock Draft ... Ever!

I am admittedly the worst judge of talent from the college ranks translating to the NFL.

Whats a college? Now you know I am the worst judge.Even Judge Judy told me to shut up.

Nice job on the write up on the draft.
    Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

[quote user="Kruunch"]And after my picks you'll probably see why. I am admittedly the worst judge of talent from the college ranks translating to the NFL.

So without further ado:

1) Coby Fleener (TE) - Tall (6-6") and lanky kid who is a down field threat both on the outside and in the seam. Naturally plays tight to the tackle (where we normally run our TEs from) and has excellent hands. Adequet blocker but with room for improvement. I like this kid over Dwayne Allen (they are 1 and 1a for TEs in the draft this year). BPA here AND a need position.

2) George Iloka (FS) - Second best Safety in the draft (after Mark Barron) with awesome size (6-3, 218) and the potential to tween into LBer. Strong in coverage, good speed and all arms. This marries BPA and need with the loss of Deon Grant.

3) Brandon Mosely (OT) - This was a toss up with Vontaze Burflict (ILB). Burflict would probably end up being BPA at this pick if he's still available, however I believe the Giants are going to feel stocked at LBer going into 2012 with the return of Goff, Tracy and Sintim from injury and three LBers from the last draft class. After that, we have a TE (Ladarius Green) at the BPA area. We picked one of those so its on to BPA + need and that puts us in the market for a Right Tackle and Brandon Mosely is a road grader. 6-5, 305 with room to grow and athletic as all get out (started HS as a TE). A very nice marriage of BPA + need (more need here possibly but a solid solid pick). This adds depth to our right side with the loss of Kareem McKenzie and competition for Brewer for the starting job.

4) Keenan Robinson (LB) - On day 2 is where I think the Giants go bang for the buck and start adding depth/competition to our LBer corps. Texas kid with really good size (6-3, 240) and speed (especially sideline to sideline). Excellent pass coverage (the main selling point here) and aggressive at the point of the pass. Shows outstanding position awareness. Solid against the run, and loves to hit/get hit. Doesn't shy away from contact with linemen.

5) Marvin McNutt (WR) - This was a toss up with Jake Bequette (DE) and I think knowing the Giants they will probably go with the depth of an up and comer DE. However, I'm going with the idea that the Giants are covered there with Craig Marshall and McNutt provides incredible upside to our WR corps. A very polished route runner with good speed and great size (6-2") and absolutely great hands (think Nicks but better). His downside is lack of burst speed and shiftiness, preferring to use his body size to shield off defenders and depending on his large hands to fend off jams (which works for him very well). He won't be a home run threat, but is a very savvy and smart receiver who would play very well underneath in the possession game, especially when teamed up with Nicks and Cruz. Oh and he also used to be a QB *grin*.

6) Bobby Rainy (RB) - Now we come to our project players and this kid has just an enormous amount of upside. The knocks on him are his size (5-7', 208) and usage (carried over 1000 times in college). However he runs a 4.4 40, has power, shiftiness and has never been injured ... ever. Oh and he catches out of the backfield like a natural. Think poor-man's Ray Rice with tons and TONS of upside (name of the game at the #6 pick). Given that Jacobs is probably gone, Rainy adds much needed competition to our backfield with backups DJ Ware and Andre Brown.

NOTE: Look at Micah Pellerin (CB) in the 5th round as a possible swap for Marvin McNutt (WR) or Jake Bequette (DE). Great size (6-1, 195) and speed (4.4 40). Converted WR ... needs technique help but has all and more of the athletic tools of a starting CB in the NFL and is a total ball hawk.

I'd be really happy with that draft. While I love mcnutt I just feel if manningham walks we need somebody who can get deep to take his place in the offense.

What ya think?[/quote]

[quote user="BluGiantPies"]
    I'd be really happy with that draft. While I love mcnutt I just feel if manningham walks we need somebody who can get deep to take his place in the offense.
    [/quote]

Both Nicks and Cruz are deep threats (especailly Cruz on the outside) and home run hitters.

I'd rather have the solid possession guy (ala the Steve Smiths of the world) underneath with Cruz and Nicks being our main threats.

The problem with "deep threats" in the later rounds is that you almost always end up with "fast but with no hands" and I don't see the Giants drafting WR early this year.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Iloka will probably be available at the end of round 3 and Marvin McNutt might end up rising his stock to rounds 3 and 4. Other than that, not a bad mock.

[quote user="Kruunch"]And after my picks you'll probably see why. I am admittedly the worst judge of talent from the college ranks translating to the NFL.

So without further ado:

What ya think?[/quote]

its a great mock imo,there are others on here who know more than I, but from what I can tell its very realistic and one I would def like to see...really like the mosely pick in the 3rd and am with u on them targeting a possible safety in the 2nd..we lose grant and I like sash on specials but not sure about him filling grant's role as the third safety.

[quote user="TheEnigma"]Iloka will probably be available at the end of round 3 and Marvin McNutt might end up rising his stock to rounds 3 and 4. Other than that, not a bad mock.[/quote]

Eh I'm not sure the second Safety overall gets taken in the 3rd ... even on a draft that's light at Safety. And he's a speciman which the Giants always love. However if they don't go Iloka in the 2nd, who do you see them going with?

I could see Zebrie Sanders (OT) being a solid alternative at the #2 spot, which would change my 3rd pick to Burflict, #4 would probably still be McNutt and then I'd go Micah Perelin or Bequette with my #5. Thoughts?

McNutt I can see going higher on one level (very polished WR) ... but his lack of "play making" ability is going to hurt him on many draft boards, the current trend in the NFL being what it is.

But the fact that he's very polished is why I put in some options at that pick. A lot of people seem to like Jake Bequette at that spot (and I do as well as a replacement pick) and I'm really warming more and more to Micah Pellerin.

I don't see the Giants going a whole draft without taking either a DE or DT, so I'm willing to bet it will be Jake Bequette here.

are there any backs worth taking in the first where they are picking? if so would u guys be opposed? I usually would be against a back that early but this may be the year they do it...I would be thrilled with this mock draft would like allen at TE in the first but this kid would be a fine pick as well imo.

So without further ado:

What ya think?[/quote]Not bad, I'd prefer Allen over Fleener though. Way too early on Iloka, think he may still be on the board in the 3rd maybe 4th round.

I would rather have Burfict in the third. Other than that, good mock. Not the biggest Lloka fan though.