+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assume we trade Osi

Re: Assume we trade Osi

[quote user="juice33s"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="Shockeyitus"]

Kiwi goes back down on the line

Do we draft Zac Brown # 32 overall?

[/quote]

I doubt we trade Osi (we wouldn't get the value he provides playing out his contract).

And even if we do we have more than enough LBers to take Kiwi's place to mitigate the need in the first round.

I don't see us taking Zach Brown (or any LBer) in the first round.[/quote]

Wouldn't get the value? He has 1 year remaining on his contract with the virtual impossibility of resigning him after that said season.

He's on the other side of 30 now and it would be the perfect time to sell high. ESPN's Dan Graziano said it best,

"He's at peak value and they can afford to lose him. That's a confluence
    of circumstances that doesn't come around too often. As a pure business
    decision, trading Umenyiora this summer is the right thing for the
    Giants to do."[/quote]

But again, Dan's article doesnt really address the issues surrounding this hypothetical trade. Its nice in theory, but not in practice for a variety of reasons that ALL stem from Osi's incredible contract demands last year. Last year, the media kinda bashed the Giants on the issue without ever really looking at the cause of the problem, which was absolutely Osi's inflated demands.

As we know, the Giants will seek fair value in trade. Most right now feel that would be about a 2nd round pick. Absolutely Nobody is going to trade a 2nd round pick, or even a 3rd round pick for a guy who has 1 year left on his deal. This means, Osi will have to agree to a new contract with whatever team we are trading as a prerequisite for the trade. If he demands top 5 DE salary, as he did last year he will kill any deal before it happens. Teams just arent going to pay that, just like we wouldnt. Also, any team that is going to have contract negotiations will want to let their docs have a look at him. Remember, last year Osi hid an injury from both the Giants and all potential trade partners. Come trade time, that IS going to be an issue.

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="Shockeyitus"]

[/quote]

I doubt we trade Osi (we wouldn't get the value he provides playing out his contract).

And even if we do we have more than enough LBers to take Kiwi's place to mitigate the need in the first round.

I'd think wed take kuechley if he fell all the way to our pick

[quote user="Shockeyitus"]

[/quote]

If Zac Brown is available you take him. He is a TarHeel and we love TarHeels on NY Giants especially at linebacker.

I doubt Zac Brown will be available.

All-Pro

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="juice33s"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="Shockeyitus"]

[/quote]

Wouldn't get the value? He has 1 year remaining on his contract with the virtual impossibility of resigning him after that said season.

He's on the other side of 30 now and it would be the perfect time to sell high. ESPN's Dan Graziano said it best,

"He's at peak value and they can afford to lose him. That's a confluence
    of circumstances that doesn't come around too often. As a pure business
    decision, trading Umenyiora this summer is the right thing for the
    Giants to do."[/quote]

But again, Dan's article doesnt really address the issues surrounding this hypothetical trade. Its nice in theory, but not in practice for a variety of reasons that ALL stem from Osi's incredible contract demands last year. Last year, the media kinda bashed the Giants on the issue without ever really looking at the cause of the problem, which was absolutely Osi's inflated demands.

As we know, the Giants will seek fair value in trade. Most right now feel that would be about a 2nd round pick. Absolutely Nobody is going to trade a 2nd round pick, or even a 3rd round pick for a guy who has 1 year left on his deal. This means, Osi will have to agree to a new contract with whatever team we are trading as a prerequisite for the trade. If he demands top 5 DE salary, as he did last year he will kill any deal before it happens. Teams just arent going to pay that, just like we wouldnt. Also, any team that is going to have contract negotiations will want to let their docs have a look at him. Remember, last year Osi hid an injury from both the Giants and all potential trade partners. Come trade time, that IS going to be an issue.

[/quote]Also factor in that we'd probably get a 3rd round comp pick if he leaves as a FA and signs to a big contract

Veteran

Honestly, I see Brown going to the eagles. He fits their mold: stupidly athletic, but with motivational issues, and a reach at their position.

Now, if Kuechly happens to be sitting there at 32... (Pre-combine I've got him at ~20. Could rise or fall 12 spots based on his workout)

Glorified Jock Williams. I've never really been a fan of the UNC LBers the past couple years.

The most interest I had would have probably been Sturdivant in the 6th. Wasn't a fan of Bruce Carter, and not a fan of Zach Brown.

Bench Player

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="Shockeyitus"]

[/quote]

I think the Giants could get the value out of trading Osi. I doubt Osi would get a 1st round pick, but the way he played when he came back, he'd get a 2nd round pick for sure. I say the Seahawks trade a 2nd for Osi, because they really need a pass rusher and at $3+ million a year, that would be beneficial for the Seahawks. The Giants would be in a more friendly cap situation paying less money for a 2nd round pick overall over the enxt few years.

Win-Win for the Giants. The could take Mark Barron, Cordy Glenn, or Dwayne Allen/Coby Fleener (assuming any of them are there) with their 1st round pick and focus more on something like O-Line with 2 second round picks (maybe Kevin Zietler, Brendon Washington, Kelechi Osemele, or Bobby Massie.

[quote user="Mr. Zolo"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="Shockeyitus"]

[/quote] I doubt we trade Osi (we wouldn't get the value he provides playing out his contract). And even if we do we have more than enough LBers to take Kiwi's place to mitigate the need in the first round. I don't see us taking Zach Brown (or any LBer) in the first round.[/quote] I think the Giants could get the value out of trading Osi. I doubt Osi would get a 1st round pick, but the way he played when he came back, he'd get a 2nd round pick for sure. I say the Seahawks trade a 2nd for Osi, because they really need a pass rusher and at $3+ million a year, that would be beneficial for the Seahawks. The Giants would be in a more friendly cap situation paying less money for a 2nd round pick overall over the enxt few years. Win-Win for the Giants. The could take Mark Barron, Cordy Glenn, or Dwayne Allen/Coby Fleener (assuming any of them are there) with their 1st round pick and focus more on something like O-Line with 2 second round picks (maybe Kevin Zietler, Brendon Washington, Kelechi Osemele, or Bobby Massie.[/quote]

Your idea is valued.. however, as someone else pointed out on this thread. No one is going to trade a 2nd or even a 3rd for a guy with one year left on his contract. If Osi agrees to a long term deal with a potential suitor, then a 2nd rounder is worth the trade.

In regards to your pick selection... Mark Barron is a nice player, but no way do we take in round 1. Cordy Glenn will bea fine pro, but not in the Giants system. Fleener or Allen are both options. Round 2 I wouldnt object to any of these picks at # 64. However, I think Zeitler is off the board by then.

"Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it."

2014 Draft:
    Round 1 - Eric Ebron, TE - North Carolina
    Round 2 - David Yankey, OG - Stanford
    Round 3 - Allen Robinson, WR - Penn State
    Round 4 - Anthony Johnson, DT - LSU
    Round 5 - Rashaad Reynolds, CB - Oregon State
    Round 6 - Andrew Jackson, ILB - W. Kentucky
    Round 7 - ** Traded for Jon Beason **

Let's NOT..........We keep Osi and win ANOTHER SUPER BOWL!!!!!

[quote user="Shockeyitus"]

[/quote]

Who says Kiwanuka goes back to DE?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

+ Reply to Thread