+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Do we even need a quality RB anymore?

does anyone feel we could go the Colt/NE style of getting an avg RB with how our passing game is now our main component?

the colts won their SB with RHodes, not Edge or their other guy. NE won theirs with K.Faulk but also had Marooney help get them there.

Im just throwing this out there, if we were to cut both bshaw and bj, and used the 10 mil on other aspects of the team, and signed a decent RB and drafted one, would our run game be worse than last season? would our offense be worse than last season?

seems to me, with eli, we dont need to place so much focus on the run game, esp. at 10 mil a year. dont get me wrong, i love both our rb's, but they either need to restructure, BOTH OF EM, or we cut one and restructure the other and draft one I guess.

I'd rather have 3 stud wr's and a stud TE than have 2 stud WR's and 2 overpaid RB

I think if we pass to setup the run, and use the run when teams go all out to defend the pass, we could be just as successful with Andre Brown, D.Ware, and D.Scott as we'd be with Jacobs and Bradshaw. And we'd save like 10 mil in cap room.

We only avg. like 3.2 ypc last season and the pass game and DL were enough to win us a SB...I also think Eli could handle more responsibilty, I mean he practically carried the offense all season. And even tho our run game sucked, we still had what, like 15-18 rushing td's between AB and BJ??

If we were to use the money allotted to BJ and AB, we could make Osi happy, resign MM, get a quality TE...

edit- we'd save 10 mil to the cap for this season, I would guess releasing them or trading them would clear up 20 mil easily bc we'd be off the hook of both their contracts...

Re: Do we even need a quality RB anymore?

Balance is always the key. If we become completely one-dimensional then Eli is going to get pounded like he did in SF all the time. And if we have an injury to one or more WRs/TEs, things go downhill very quickly.

Nice to know Eli can do what he did, but let's not make a habit of it.

Not to mention all the good things that come with a running game -- time of possession, ball security, and it wears out the defense.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

BALANCE

I love Power Running with the deep passes as options.

Good running forces Defenses to play honest and yet if this Team could get that balance, opponents are forced to pick their poison.

The Gun or the Knife ?

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

i'm not saying we stop running, not by any means. still would like balance, i'm just saying, the way we move the ball and score is now thru eli, not our run game which had been the case until 2008.

its elis offense now. thats why i dont think we need all this money tied up to rb. we could get a couple of solid, effecient rb's at half the price we're paying our guys now.

plus, if we evolved into a more heavy pass oriented offense, teams will have to respect that and play the pass, leaving running lanes open. i think we could plug in any avg. rb and he could put up the numbers our run game put up last season, at the least.

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"]Balance is always the key.* If we become completely one-dimensional then Eli is going to get pounded like he did in SF all the time.* And if we have an injury to one or more WRs/TEs, things go downhill very quickly.

Nice to know Eli can do what he did, but let's not make a habit of it.

Not to mention all the good things that come with a running game -- time of possession, ball security, and it wears out the defense.
    [/quote]

again, im not saying we deviate from what we did last season. which was to run, not to move the ball or score necessarily (we had like 2 runs of 20 yds all season) but run to continue the TOP and keep the defense honest. we were running the ball consistently with little to no success. and our offense still killed it.
    we could plug any two backs into that type of offense and get the same production, at the least.

We need a running back who can run a draw correctly out of the shot gun. I know the blocking was horrendous, but every time we ran out of the shotgun the RB's had terrible execution to go with the terrible blocking. It was always a wasted play.

if ur a team like SF, Baltimore, Washington, etc. etc. it'd make sense to invest heavily into the rb position bc the rbs are heavily depended on for the success of the offense.

we dont have an offense like that, we depend virtually solely on eli.

forget which analyst said it but i believe it was mayock who said we're at our best when we run the ball even if its not effective, but run the ball to establish we'll run all game even if its not necessarily working. that still forces the d to account for the run game.

remember, we had THE WORST RUN GAME LAST SEASON, and our offense was successful as ****. we could plug any two rb's into that role and get the same production at the least.

Although for the regular season the Giants had the last ranked rushing offense, they did turn it up in the playoffs and won the Superbowl.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te...g/seasontype/3

The Giants had the No. 1 ranked rushing offense in the Playoffs over the Patriots by 141 yards. Yea yea they both played more games than any other playoff team so we just can't just go by totals. So... how about 116.5 yards/game in the playoffs and 4.2 yards per attempt? Vast improvement over the regular season numbers...

Starter

Um...Patriots had good backs on their Superbowl wins. You can say it costs them on both games against the giants having subpar RBs...
    Antowain Smith Ran for 1,157 yards on their first SB (2001).
    Corey Dillon ran for 1,635 in their third SB (2004).
    The Colts won with Rhode running for 641 and Addai for 1,081 and they ran 113, 77 in the SB respectively (2006).

Even in a pass-first offense, it helps to have a RB who can block well and make catches out of the backfield. Bradshaw can do both those things. I just don't think cutting him would be a good idea. Not with how well he works with Eli.