+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Speaking of Hall of Fame-Simms vs Griese

Griese has 2 rings.Simms,let's say 1.5.Griese played with 5 HOF offensive players in his career in warm Miami.Simms played in the windiest,toughest stadium to pass in the league.In Simms entire career,1 WR,Lionel manual made 1 pro bowl.The only reciever he ever had of any real quality was Bavaro.Ok,career wise Griese threw for 25000 yrds,192 tds,172 ints in warm Miami.Simms,34000 yards,199 tds,152 ints at giants stadium.Now,the funny part.Here are Griese's stats from his 3 SB's,2w,1L.#1.12-23,134 yrds,0td,1int.#2.8-11,88yrds,1td,1 int.#3.6-7,73 yrds,0td,0int.Simms,well,we know.Noone could EVER make the arguement that Griese was no more than the ULTIMATE game manager at QB who could never,if called upon,pass his team to victory.Simms could.And did numerous times.Griese didn't get in till 1990 so maybe Simms still has a shot.But I saw Griese play his entire career,and after looking at his stats,I wonder how he's in the HOF.And I know Simms was the better QB anyway you look at it.

Re: Speaking of Hall of Fame-Simms vs Griese

[quote user="pica01"]Griese has 2 rings.Simms,let's say 1.5.Griese played with 5 HOF offensive players in his career in warm Miami.Simms played in the windiest,toughest stadium to pass in the league.In Simms entire career,1 WR,Lionel manual made 1 pro bowl.The only reciever he ever had of any real quality was Bavaro.Ok,career wise Griese threw for 25000 yrds,192 tds,172 ints in warm Miami.Simms,34000 yards,199 tds,152 ints at giants stadium.Now,the funny part.Here are Griese's stats from his 3 SB's,2w,1L.#1.12-23,134 yrds,0td,1int.#2.8-11,88yrds,1td,1 int.#3.6-7,73 yrds,0td,0int.Simms,well,we know.Noone could EVER make the arguement that Griese was no more than the ULTIMATE game manager at QB who could never,if called upon,pass his team to victory.Simms could.And did numerous times.Griese didn't get in till 1990 so maybe Simms still has a shot.But I saw Griese play his entire career,and after looking at his stats,I wonder how he's in the HOF.And I know Simms was the better QB anyway you look at it.[/quote]
    check out Namaths stats too.if hes in,Phil should be in.even with Joes guarantee.plus,Mark Jackson dropped a multitude of TDs in Simms last year.he should be over 200 for sure.

[quote user="pica01"]Griese has 2 rings.Simms,let's say 1.5.Griese played with 5 HOF offensive players in his career in warm Miami.Simms played in the windiest,toughest stadium to pass in the league.In Simms entire career,1 WR,Lionel manual made 1 pro bowl.The only reciever he ever had of any real quality was Bavaro.Ok,career wise Griese threw for 25000 yrds,192 tds,172 ints in warm Miami.Simms,34000 yards,199 tds,152 ints at giants stadium.Now,the funny part.Here are Griese's stats from his 3 SB's,2w,1L.#1.12-23,134 yrds,0td,1int.#2.8-11,88yrds,1td,1 int.#3.6-7,73 yrds,0td,0int.Simms,well,we know.Noone could EVER make the arguement that Griese was no more than the ULTIMATE game manager at QB who could never,if called upon,pass his team to victory.Simms could.And did numerous times.Griese didn't get in till 1990 so maybe Simms still has a shot.But I saw Griese play his entire career,and after looking at his stats,I wonder how he's in the HOF.And I know Simms was the better QB anyway you look at it.[/quote] Kurt Warner says no way to both,Griese needs to give back his jacket!!

Namath is a unique case that goes beyond stats.He is,arguably,the most important player in the NFL's history.The Jet's signing him really gave the AFL relevence.And his star power,the gauruntee and beating the Colts in Superbowl 3 was the driving force leading to the AFL-NFL merger.In hindsight,the merger was inevitable but after the Packers dominated SB 1 and 2,the Jet's and Namath upsetting the Colts was a game changer NFL owners couldn't deny any longer.Yeah,statwise he's very overrated.

If anyone deserves blame it's Dan Reeves.Simms last year was very good and he had at least 2 or 3 good years left.Instead,Reeves forced him out for,wait for it...let's say it together...the immortal Dave Brown.And Simms,to his credit,retired as a Giant.Wasn't exactly forcing Farve out for Rodgers,huh?Dave freakin Brown.

Yeah, Simms definately took it in the shorts imo.....Handley gave his job to Hoss, Reeves going with Brown.

I think Simms did give Arizona a brief look, but it obvously didn't work out.

[quote user="pica01"]Namath is a unique case that goes beyond stats.He is,arguably,the most important player in the NFL's history.The Jet's signing him really gave the AFL relevence.And his star power,the gauruntee and beating the Colts in Superbowl 3 was the driving force leading to the AFL-NFL merger.In hindsight,the merger was inevitable but after the Packers dominated SB 1 and 2,the Jet's and Namath upsetting the Colts was a game changer NFL owners couldn't deny any longer.Yeah,statwise he's very overrated.[/quote]

I said it before, and I say again------ the merger was already a done deal two years before Namath's Jets won Super Bowl III.

The merger was consumated June 1966. Even ratified by Congress (after resolving any potential anti trust issues) end of 1966.

Which is why the idea for a ("Super") Championship game for NFL Champions and AFL Champions came about in the first place.

Super Bowl III was Jan 1969.

You're right gmen,the merger was announced in 66.my bad.But my point about Namath choosing the AFL over the NFL is still valid when it comes to the merger and his impact.Plus,he was the 1st bigger than just the game media star.You get my point.He's in the HOF as much for being Joe Namath as he is for his actual football stats.

Joe Willie Namath picked the pat's this year!!! Thanks Joe GGGOOOO G-MEN!!! BACK TO BACK!!

[quote user="pica01"]You're right gmen,the merger was announced in 66.my bad.But my point about Namath choosing the AFL over the NFL is still valid when it comes to the merger and his impact.Plus,he was the 1st bigger than just the game media star.You get my point.He's in the HOF as much for being Joe Namath as he is for his actual football stats.[/quote]

Yes, I do agree with that.

He almost single-handedly, with the Super Bowl win, gave validation to the merger, because up until then there were many influential people in the sport and the media who doubted the wisdom of it and who were very derisive of the AFL, including Vince Lombardi--ironic, since the trophy representing the Super Bowl eventually was named after him..

No doubt in my mind that Namath is in the Hall more for what he brought to the image of the NFL, at a crucial turning point for the NFL, than his career would normally indicate.

He became an American icon, far beyond his athletic abilities, at the same time as Ali.