+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My first of many... go easy

Veteran

My first of many... go easy

[:|]Okay so here's my first four rounds. subject to change after the combine.

Round 1. BPA

Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
    Height: 6-6. Weight: 248

Round 2. i can see this guy playing center as well as guard, time to give up on the Baas project we still owe him alot of money lets see how he does at LG if he can't fill then stick this guy in there.

Zeitler, G, Wisconsin
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 315.

*Round 3. might lose Jacobs, we need a P/K returner, and i'm still not sold on danny ware no matter how much they force him down my throat. it seems like the giants really want to recreate that three headed running attack, this guy can be our 07 bradshaw.

Isaiah Pead, RB, Cincinnati
    Height: 5-10. Weight: 193.

OR

*Round 3. with our CB depth taking a major hit last year i can see them adding solid relief/depth. this kid can ball he attacks the ball and is constantly spying the QB's eyes while staying with his man. he hits hard and has okay closing speed.

Ryan Steed, CB, Furman
    Height: 5-10. Weight: 190.

Round 4. Love deion grant but he's getting older and slower, not certain the recovery of chad jones and can use good depth/competition at the position.

Brandon Taylor, FS/SS, LSU
    Height: 5-11. Weight: 202.

Retweeted by Rueben Randle
    @Katdaddyjay 17h
    @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

Re: My first of many... go easy

I know that we're all thrilled with how well our LBs did in the Superbowl, but we'd be fools to ignore an ILB completely in our draft - A stud ILB would make our defense terrifying next year, and we can't afford to rest on our laurels.

I think we weren't aggressive enough in continuing to improve our roster after the XLII, and that was part of why our regular seasons have been just average since then, and why it took four years (and a hell of a run) to go back to the Superbowl.

We're probably going to lose Osi, which probably means we're going to use Kiwanuka at DE much more as well.

It's nothing against Blackburn, Boley and Goff, but they're not exactly Ray Lewis, Demarcus Ware and Clay Matthews - That's an area where we've been weak for a long time, and we still look vulnerable when teams are containing JPP and Tuck (which admittedly, isn't often). Also, Goff and Blackburn are UFAs, and while I'd expect Blackburn to stay, I think some team (*cough*RaidersLoveExGiants*cough*) might waste a bunch of money overpaying Goff like what happened with Gibril Wilson and Kawika Mitchell after the last SB win, so IMO we'll be needing a starter at LB, which clarifies the need to draft a decent prospect.

I was about to suggest that that should be where we're looking in Rd 1, but the TE pool is shallow this year, so I'd be down with Dwayne Allen or Fleener in the first because they're both top line talents, and none of the other TEs really are, but I'd definitely try to snare a middle linebacker in the 2nd in that scenario. If Manningham is leaving, then drafting an offensively potent TE might kill two birds with one stone... A bird and a half, at the very least :P

I've seen Vontaze Burfict projected in the 3rd by a bunch of draft sites, so if there's any accuracy to that, I'd take him with the last pick in the 2nd in a heartbeat. He needs disciplined coaching, but we've got that, and he's a high-risk, high-reward player at a position of need that we can afford to take a chance on.

If we don't land Burfict or Hightower, we'll probably pass on LBs altogether, because there are no real obvious impact players that would displace or even satisfactorily replace our current guys, in the event that one or both of Goff and Blackburn left.

Other ideas:

~I really don't see us drafting two DBs in the first five rounds. We know that they're negotiating with Thomas, and Ross should be returning, and with Webster, Prince, Rolle and Phillips all still under contract, it seems like overkill even if Ross does leave.

~An RB with the view to avoiding paying Jacobs' big bonus makes sense from a financial standpoint, but Jacobs' history with the team and role in two rings might factor into it more than that. We'll wait and see how they play it.

~A C/OG is something of a need, but I can't see us spending as high as a 2nd on it. The OL was good enough to allow Eli to make 30/40 in the Superbowl, including giving him an age on the Manningham catch at the most pivotal moment, hemmed against the endzone. As you say, Baas still has a contract, so it's not as immediate a need - It can wait until next year's draft moreso than other needs.

~Picking which positions with which picks aside, I do like the guys you're taking at the positions, and you haven't fallen into the trap of taking a bunch of guys who definitely won't be there at the picks you have them at - You're being pretty conservative for the most part.

Veteran

most of the reason why eli wasn't sacked so much is not cause of the line being so good its cause eli sensed pressure and maneuver in the pocket so well, or threw the ball away. give him more time in the pocket and we complete more passes. zeiter is a guard that can play center and he pulls outside like no other springing RB ( M.ball) for big gains. the run blocking was poor all season that needs to be addressed highly.

all the stud ILB's are gone by pick 32 and you dont waste your 32nd pick on a high risk player no mater what the rewards are, if burficit is there at 4th then yeah i'll switch out the safety for him. i don't want too reach for one either, bring in a veteran kind of like pierce london fletcher or something and have those young guys we got learn from him/OTA

DB is a need for everyone with the way the nfl is going its Passing game by committee, more three receiver air it out formations are going to be used this coming year three 5000 yards QB's, Dan marino's record bested twice. you need guys that are either going to shut down or be good zone/man cover guys. were getting back 3 DB's from injuries that are too risky to not address this position in the draft/FA i will admit justin tyron could of been a good FA pick up for us he was solid pre forearm injury.

your right lmao i am being a little conservative but its subject to change once the combine rolls around, i'll be updating it accordingly thanks for your input i will take most of what you said into consideration on my next attempt

Retweeted by Rueben Randle
    @Katdaddyjay 17h
    @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

Bench Player

i prefer allen over fllener but not by much.
    we already have a LG ready so Zeitler is not needed.
    i like Prater more than Steed
    i like trenton robinson as a future fs in the 4th

I love Fleener in the first (moreso than Allen even).

I'd rather have an OT prospect then an OG with a day one draft pick (we have good starters and depth at OG currently).

I like Pead in the third but I'm not sure the Giants will go that high on a RB this year and I'm pretty sure Pead won't be available by the end of the third (borderline 2nd round talent). Your alternative might not be available at the end of the third either but I like the CB pick more.

Brandon Taylor doesn't do a lot for me in the 4th but he's a solid choice (nothing I'd get excited over though).
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="deekay7685"]
    we already have a LG ready so Zeitler is not needed.[/quote]

Who do they have at LG? Diehl who was the worst starting LG in the NFL? Or his backup Boothe who was just ok at best?

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="deekay7685"]
    we already have a LG ready so Zeitler is not needed.[/quote]

Who do they have at LG? Diehl who was the worst starting LG in the NFL? Or his backup Boothe who was just ok at best?[/quote]

And Petrus.

We have 3 potential starting LGs. Doubt that rates a need on Day 1.

(and yes I agree ... none excites me there either)

Also I think RT is more of a need for us, both starting (assuming KM is gone) and depth.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"]
    And Petrus.[/quote]

Who may be as bad as Diehl... He took five snaps against the 9ers in the playoff game and allowed 2 pressures.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quoteuser="Kruunch"]
    And Petrus.[/quote]

Who may be as bad as Diehl... He took five snaps against the 9ers in the playoff game and allowed 2 pressures.[/quote]

Petrus played pretty good in the time he was given.

The 9ers game was tough to critic the guy being he was coming off the bench and having to deal Justin Smith....That's a tall glass for any guard.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Kruunch"]
    And Petrus.[/quote]

Who may be as bad as Diehl... He took five snaps against the 9ers in the playoff game and allowed 2 pressures.[/quote]

I think it's safe to say at this point we're at different ends of the spectrum on how we grade our Olinemen.

But numbers wise, we have depth at Guard.

+ Reply to Thread