+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Giants will be reaching between rounds 2 - 4

With the last pick in each round, the Giants will be forced to reach for a few players. Dont be surpirsed if they pull the trigger on guys like this in round two (#64)

RB - Victor Ballard, Bernard Pierce

WR - Dwight Jones, Marvin McNutt

TE - Michael Egnew, Ladarius Green

O-Line - Bobby Massie, Nate Potter, Brandon Washington, Senio Kelemete

D-Line - Mike Martin, Kendell Reyes

LB - Bruce Irvin, Audi Cole, Bobby Wagner

CB/S - Leonard Johson, Ryan Steed, Jayron Hosley, Aaron Henry, Trumaine Johnson.

"Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it."

2014 Draft:
    Round 1 - Eric Ebron, TE - North Carolina
    Round 2 - David Yankey, OG - Stanford
    Round 3 - Allen Robinson, WR - Penn State
    Round 4 - Anthony Johnson, DT - LSU
    Round 5 - Rashaad Reynolds, CB - Oregon State
    Round 6 - Andrew Jackson, ILB - W. Kentucky
    Round 7 - ** Traded for Jon Beason **

Re: Giants will be reaching between rounds 2 - 4

I dont understand how this thread is logical.

Why would picking at 64 mean they have to reach?

[quote user="slipknottin"]I dont understand how this thread is logical. Why would picking at 64 mean they have to reach?[/quote]

Guys that are projected to be third round picks that the Giants really like may not be around until pick #96. Therefore, they may consider grabbing someone with their 64th overall selection. Capeesh?

"Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it."

2014 Draft:
    Round 1 - Eric Ebron, TE - North Carolina
    Round 2 - David Yankey, OG - Stanford
    Round 3 - Allen Robinson, WR - Penn State
    Round 4 - Anthony Johnson, DT - LSU
    Round 5 - Rashaad Reynolds, CB - Oregon State
    Round 6 - Andrew Jackson, ILB - W. Kentucky
    Round 7 - ** Traded for Jon Beason **

wouldnt that happen even if they were picking 1st in each round? At pick 33, a guy may not fall all the way to pick 65, so they take them at 33?

But if its a significant difference in value, then you trade down.

Nevermind. I was just trying to discuss mock drafts and how people will accuse someone of "reaching" in their mocks.

[quote user="critters"]No. If a guy is projected as a 2nd rounder and you get him with the first pick in the 2nd round you aren't reaching.[/quote]

What? lol. NFL teams dont rank players based on what round they are supposed to go in.

[quote user="critters"]No. If a guy is projected as a 2nd rounder and you get him with the first pick in the 2nd round you aren't reaching. If a guy is projected to be a mid to late 3rd rounder and you pick last... you would have to take him in the 2nd round to get him. Point is when you pick last and say you think we should get player A in the 2nd round... people will say, he's a 3rd round guy. Well, for us to get him, we have to make him a 2nd round guy. Hence, reaching.
    [/quote]

Whether you pick the mid to late 3rd rounder with your last 2nd round pick or your first 3rd round pick makes it a reach either way (let's say you probably won't be able to get the guy with the last 3rd round pick or the first 4th round pick). It's only one pick that separates the two.

[quote user="critters"]No. If a guy is projected as a 2nd rounder and you get him with the first pick in the 2nd round you aren't reaching. If a guy is projected to be a mid to late 3rd rounder and you pick last... you would have to take him in the 2nd round to get him. Point is when you pick last and say you think we should get player A in the 2nd round... people will say, he's a 3rd round guy. Well, for us to get him, we have to make him a 2nd round guy. Hence, reaching.
    [/quote]

You make absolutely no sense what so ever.

What if a guy is projected as a mid to late 2nd rounder, and you are picking 1st overall (33rd pick)? Wouldnt you be reaching to select him there too?

Its the same for every team at every draft pick.

[quote user="Shockeyitus"]

[quote user="slipknottin"]I dont understand how this thread is logical. Why would picking at 64 mean they have to reach?[/quote]

Guys that are projected to be third round picks that the Giants really like may not be around until pick #96. Therefore, they may consider grabbing someone with their 64th overall selection. Capeesh?

[/quote]

Thats not how it works. Guys arent rated just round 1, round 2 , round 3, etc. They are rated in a much more finite manner than that.

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="Shockeyitus"]

[/quote]

Thats not how it works. Guys arent rated just round 1, round 2 , round 3, etc. They are rated in a much more finite manner than that.

[/quote]

Yeah, I think I remember Reese or Ross mentioning that they rank players according to "Rows". Or maybe that's just the example they used to make it easier for the layman to understand.

The scouting staff will place a certain number of players in the first row (not nec. 32). Maybe just 5 or 6. . .maybe 15 in the later rounds. Each row theoretically has players with similar desirability. When it's time to pick, Reese will look and see which player he likes best in the highest occupied row. This helps balance the whole "Need vs. BPA" debate.

This system also helps Reese deal with trades in the heat of the draft. If there's 10 players in the highest "occupied" row, then JR might not mind trading down 8 spots. He gets an extra pick without sacrificing quality of the draftee.

I'm sure if I'm even close to understanding this system, it's still used more as a guide than anything else. But it's a very well researched and thought-out guide.

We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.