+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants will be reaching between rounds 2 - 4

Giants will be reaching between rounds 2 - 4

With the last pick in each round, the Giants will be forced to reach for a few players. Dont be surpirsed if they pull the trigger on guys like this in round two (#64)

RB - Victor Ballard, Bernard Pierce

WR - Dwight Jones, Marvin McNutt

TE - Michael Egnew, Ladarius Green

O-Line - Bobby Massie, Nate Potter, Brandon Washington, Senio Kelemete

D-Line - Mike Martin, Kendell Reyes

LB - Bruce Irvin, Audi Cole, Bobby Wagner

CB/S - Leonard Johson, Ryan Steed, Jayron Hosley, Aaron Henry, Trumaine Johnson.

"Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it."

2014 Draft:
    Round 1 - Eric Ebron, TE - North Carolina
    Round 2 - David Yankey, OG - Stanford
    Round 3 - Allen Robinson, WR - Penn State
    Round 4 - Anthony Johnson, DT - LSU
    Round 5 - Rashaad Reynolds, CB - Oregon State
    Round 6 - Andrew Jackson, ILB - W. Kentucky
    Round 7 - ** Traded for Jon Beason **

Re: Giants will be reaching between rounds 2 - 4

I dont understand how this thread is logical.

Why would picking at 64 mean they have to reach?

[quote user="slipknottin"]I dont understand how this thread is logical. Why would picking at 64 mean they have to reach?[/quote]

Guys that are projected to be third round picks that the Giants really like may not be around until pick #96. Therefore, they may consider grabbing someone with their 64th overall selection. Capeesh?

2014 Draft:

[quote user="slipknottin"]I dont understand how this thread is logical. Why would picking at 64 mean they have to reach?[/quote]

Guys that are projected to be third round picks that the Giants really like may not be around until pick #96. Therefore, they may consider grabbing someone with their 64th overall selection. Capeesh?

2014 Draft:

wouldnt that happen even if they were picking 1st in each round? At pick 33, a guy may not fall all the way to pick 65, so they take them at 33?

But if its a significant difference in value, then you trade down.

Nevermind. I was just trying to discuss mock drafts and how people will accuse someone of "reaching" in their mocks.

[quote user="critters"]No. If a guy is projected as a 2nd rounder and you get him with the first pick in the 2nd round you aren't reaching.[/quote]

What? lol. NFL teams dont rank players based on what round they are supposed to go in.

[quote user="critters"]No. If a guy is projected as a 2nd rounder and you get him with the first pick in the 2nd round you aren't reaching. If a guy is projected to be a mid to late 3rd rounder and you pick last... you would have to take him in the 2nd round to get him. Point is when you pick last and say you think we should get player A in the 2nd round... people will say, he's a 3rd round guy. Well, for us to get him, we have to make him a 2nd round guy. Hence, reaching.
    [/quote]

Whether you pick the mid to late 3rd rounder with your last 2nd round pick or your first 3rd round pick makes it a reach either way (let's say you probably won't be able to get the guy with the last 3rd round pick or the first 4th round pick). It's only one pick that separates the two.

This thread makes zero sense

Who is saying they rank players by what round they go in? I'm trying to explain to you what it means when people say "reaching" in regards to the draft. If you have never heard that term I have to assume you are new to keeping up with drafts. Players get grades/round projections/draft value all the time. You also see it in mock draft debates regularly. Someone will say take a guy in the 2nd round, and someone will respond by saying he's a not a 2nd round value guy. When you have the last pick, it blends those grades a bit so someone will defend their pick saying "we may have to reach a bit". If your strategy is best available, that obviously becomes irrelevant.

While on the subject... Do you not think that teams project when they can get players and just go in hoping they can get whoever they want whenever they want? When we wanted to get Phillip Dillard we almost took him in the 3rd round. Dillard was projected as a 4th - 5th round guy. If Rolando McClain had been available we would have gone MLB in the first round, so it was a definite need (to replace Antonio Pierce). Jerry said himself that they almost took Dillard in the 3rd round, but thought he would still be available in the 4th round. They didn't think Chad Jones would be, so despite having Dillard rated very high at a need position, they decided to take Chad Jones and hope they could get Dillard in the 4th.

+ Reply to Thread