+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Giants will be reaching between rounds 2 - 4

really its simple.

Where you are picking has nothing to do with whether you reach for players or not.

Veteran

[quote user="slipknottin"]really its simple.

Where you are picking has nothing to do with whether you reach for players or not.[/quote]
    You are blowing their mind. I don't think they're going to get it.

[quote user="Seducer"][quote user="slipknottin"]really its simple.

Where you are picking has nothing to do with whether you reach for players or not.[/quote]
    You are blowing their mind. I don't think they're going to get it.[/quote]I know I certainly dont understand the logic of the OP, so I guess that evens things out.

All-Pro

[quote user="critters"][quote user="buddy33"]In the 1st 3 rounds after they won their last Super Bowl they picked KP, TT, and Manningham. Where they reaching then?[/quote]

No. And either way, it's hard to say when you don't know how the Giants rank players. We are known for going best available anyway.

[/quote]

Right, so going BPA is the exact opposite of reaching.

I get what Slip is saying. Say that there's this guy, Mark Smith, who is projected to go in the mid to late 2nd round.

It doesn't matter if you're picking first or last, if you want to get the guy you're probably going to have to reach (whether it's using the 32nd pick of the first round or the 1st pick of the second round). Yeah, sure the 1st pick of the second round is technically a second round pick, but it's just as much of a reach as using the 32nd pick of the 1st round.

If the Giants are picking 1st they probably won't be able to get someone expected to go in the 16 through 32 picks (without trading/reaching). If the Giants are picking 16th they probably won't be able to get someone expected to go 1-15 in the second round. If the Giants go 28th they probably won't be able to get a guy expected to go 12-27 in the second round. For every pick there's a set of draft picks, where if you feel that Player A is going to go, you probably won't be able to get Player A unless you trade or reach.

I like Bobby Massie in the 3rd, he could be a pretty solid RT, maybe even right away.

Dude BPA whenever we pick, end of story.......this makes no sense

[quote user="Seducer"][quote user="slipknottin"]really its simple.

You are blowing their mind. I don't think they're going to get it.[/quote]

Yes. My mind is blown because I said any team at any pick can be accused of reaching and this guy just informed me that where you pick has nothing to do with whether you reach for players or not.

And yes, I've already pointed out that reaching is based on public perception because no one knows how organizations grade players or where other teams grade the player in question. Saying back to me exactly what I have stated is not going to blow my mind.

Perhaps this is a foreign concept to some on here because the Giants are known for going BPA. That's why even though we wanted Dillard in the 3rd we didn't take him cause we thought there was a chance he'd still be available in the 4th. We know we graded him very highly and used draft value to decide when to get him. We didn't reach. GO GIANTS.

p.s. you guys should go into the mock draft threads or Chandler Jones thread and tell them that they don't know what they're talking about.. cause I see a lot of people using the term "reaching".

Veteran

Reaching or stealing is pretty subjective. Mel Kiper might have a guy rated around 90 overall, but Reese and the Giants scouting department might have the same guy rated as 35 over-all on their big board.

So, come pick 64, it would look like a big reach going by Kiper's board, but it would be a tremendous value going by JR's board.

Look at JPP, for example. He was 6 overall on the Giants' board, but considerably lower than that on a lot of other boards. Given that and the Giants' perceived depth at that position, it looked like a BAD pick. How's it look now? I don't think there are 5 guys from that draft who have played better.

Jaquain Williams is another example. NOBODY knew who he was (IIRC, the Bears are the only other team that even LOOKED at him), and that pick was pretty much universally criticized... but looking back, he played as well as any rookie LB not named Von Miller, regardless of draft position. I'd say that's tremendous value.

My point being, the Giants' scouting department sets its big board, and JR sticks to that, and picks the highest rated player remaining. They don't get enamored by names or positions the same way fans do. The genius in JR's drafting is in the scouting department's evaluation and setting up their big board, and taking the best talent available. They let other teams reach and let the draft come to them.

[quote user="Raptor22"]Reaching or stealing is pretty subjective. Mel Kiper might have a guy rated around 90 overall, but Reese and the Giants scouting department might have the same guy rated as 35 over-all on their big board.

So, come pick 64, it would look like a big reach going by Kiper's board, but it would be a tremendous value going by JR's board.

Look at JPP, for example. He was 6 overall on the Giants' board, but considerably lower than that on a lot of other boards. Given that and the Giants' perceived depth at that position, it looked like a BAD pick. How's it look now? I don't think there are 5 guys from that draft who have played better.

Jaquain Williams is another example. NOBODY knew who he was (IIRC, the Bears are the only other team that even LOOKED at him), and that pick was pretty much universally criticized... but looking back, he played as well as any rookie LB not named Von Miller, regardless of draft position. I'd say that's tremendous value.

My point being, the Giants' scouting department sets its big board, and JR sticks to that, and picks the highest rated player remaining. They don't get enamored by names or positions the same way fans do. The genius in JR's drafting is in the scouting department's evaluation and setting up their big board, and taking the best talent available. They let other teams reach and let the draft come to them.
    [/quote]

This is 100% correct. I think the Giants are one of the one best teams when it comes to establishing draft value and getting the best picks.