+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Bradshaws TD vs 20 yard FG,answer this question

I know we've killed this to death but let me approach it from a different angle besides hindsight.It's pregame.I give you 2 senarios.We could attempt a 20 yard extra point FG on the last or next to last play of the game for the win or score a TD and give Brady 57 seconds w/1TO and a Td beats us.Before the game.What's your answer?.Mine is that the shortest,easiest possible FG near the gun is ABSOLUTELY MY BEST CASE SENARIO.Remember,it's before the game.

Re: Bradshaws TD vs 20 yard FG,answer this question

Touchdown every time kthxbye
    "...two minute drill at the end of each quarter, Ya'know with the wind like this blowing mooch and marshall into the ocean...If that's behind me I think were getting 3 from 70 so holla at your boy. IF YOU DON"T PICK ME THAT'S A JOKE RIGHT?" - Justin Tucker, Ravens kicker

Complain?, ain't Nobody got time for dat!

GO GIANTS!

Can't get over the Superbowl madness eh? That's understandable.

The Patriots were doomed either way.

The only flaw with the FG decision is

A) any wrong happens with the FG, Giants lose.
    B) The FG would have absolutely not been the last play of the game, not even close. The Patriots had a time out and Bradshaw's TD run was on 2nd Down with 1 minute to go. 40 second play-clock -> 20 seconds left on game clock 3rd Down QB kneel -> Patriots Timeout (although I think the Giants would have gone for the TD here anyway) -> Chip Shot FG 1-2 seconds off the clock (18 seconds left in the game) -> Kickoff (touchback - no time off the clock) (A return -> 3-4 seconds off the clock).

Leaving the Patriots with 15-18 seconds from the own 20-30 yard line to get into game winning FG range for one of the most accurate kickers in the league (still hard to do anyway).

In conclusion, I think the Giants would have gone for the TD on 3rd down anyway. The FG was probably the last thing in their mind.

botched snap or blocked FG and the Patriots are champions.

TD is the better call. Have faith in the Defense.

It's so simple I can't believe we're still talking about it. You don't turn down a free TD in the SUPERBOWL, basing it on the fact that you THINK or ASSUME, that you will have no problem getting a good snap, good hold, and good kick. With each of those players, longsnapper, holder, and kicker, knowing that if they mess up, their team loses the SUPERBOWL! You just don't take that chance. I don't care how many times, or in however many threads, you want to call it an extra point. It is not an extra point. The pressure there is immense and you are relying on 3 people to execute their job in the most pressure packed moment of their life.

Take the free points every time!!!

make a dink and dunk offense go 80 yards for a TD with maybe a minute

vs

risk Trey Junkin 3000 or the pats having to go 60 yards for a field goal

All-Pro

At the time I was absolutelyagainst it, and actually was a little upset we scored... yeah, weirdest superbowl winning TD feeling ever...

Then I thought about this...

And I was good with it.

[quote user="TuckYou"]

At the time I was absolutely for it, and actually was a little upset we scored... yeah, weirdest superbowl winning TD feeling ever...

Then I thought about this...

And I was good with it.

[/quote]

Or This

[quote user="NYGRealityCheck"]Can't get over the Superbowl madness eh? That's understandable.

The Patriots were doomed either way.

The only flaw with the FG decision is

A) any wrong happens with the FG, Giants lose.
    B) The FG would have absolutely not been the last play of the game, not even close. The Patriots had a time out and Bradshaw's TD run was on 2nd Down with 1 minute to go. 40 second play-clock -> 20 seconds left on game clock 3rd Down QB kneel -> Patriots Timeout (although I think the Giants would have gone for the TD here anyway) -> Chip Shot FG 1-2 seconds off the clock (18 seconds left in the game) -> Kickoff (touchback - no time off the clock) (A return -> 3-4 seconds off the clock).

Leaving the Patriots with 15-18 seconds from the own 20-30 yard line to get into game winning FG range for one of the most accurate kickers in the league (still hard to do anyway).

In conclusion, I think the Giants would have gone for the TD on 3rd down anyway. The FG was probably the last thing in their mind.[/quote]

This. A FG, even if successful, on 4th down wouldn't run the clock out entirely. Yes, it would be a lot less, but it would require that the pats only score a FG to win. Whereas our TD put us up by more than 3. It's a tradeoff: would you like more time on the clock but forcing them to get into the end zone, or less time on the clock whereas they only need to get to the 35 yard line or so.

Overall, I'm happy with the way it turned out because we won. Even more than that, Brady was given 57 seconds and a timeout to march the ball across the field. Now you can't say it was a "game of last possession"... Brady was given a chance to answer, but our defense stepped up and prevented the score.

(that said, a JPP FG block to end the game would also be awesome)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

ANYTHING can happen.

Go to the NFC Championship game. DeOssie who I love, snaps the ball low, but luckily Weatherford handles it well and Tynes kicks us into the Super Bowl. Who's to say there's no low snap this time around?

Like someone wrote above, you trust in your defense. To be honest, I'm still kind of pissed our last TD was all out of wack. You didn't get the typical go-head clutch time touchdown call from the play-by-play, and then the sitting down...just kinda takes away the lore a little bit.