+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GIANTS' BRANDON JACOBS: "I FULLY EXPECT...TO BE BACK NEXT SEASON"

GIANTS' BRANDON JACOBS: "I FULLY EXPECT...TO BE BACK NEXT SEASON"

"Free agency opens on March 13. That's a week to 10 days later than in
    previous years, which means more posturing, more guessing games and - though no
    one will really admit it publicly - more tampering.

With three full weeks to go, the players who aren't yet free are also laying
    some groundwork. Monday, it was Osi Umenyiora basically saying it's
    up to the Giants whether he's back with the team
    . Today, it was Brandon
    Jacobs doing the same.

“Well, I have spoken to my agent and I do expect to be fully back with the
    New York Giants next season," the seventh-year running back said in an interview
    with Jim Miller and Rich Gannon on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "These guys in the front
    office, they’ve been doing this for years. They know what they gotta do. I want
    to be back. But they actually know what has to be done if they want me
    back."

What has to be done, in addition to the extension to which the 29-year-old
    Jacobs is perhaps referring, is the money
    he's due this season (see update below) must be lowered from the $4.9 million
    it's currently slated to be. That figure includes a $500,000 roster bonus due
    next month plus his $4.4 million salary. None of that money is guaranteed.

In the regular season, Jacobs had 571 yards on 152 carries for an average of
    3.8 yards per attempt, down from his 5.6-yard average a season earlier. Still,
    he provided a motivating presence and helped soften the blow of the four games
    missed by Ahmad Bradshaw. In those weeks, he ran for 194 yards on 61 carries
    (his 12 rushes for only 21 yards in the loss to the Eagles hurt those figures)
    and had 101 yards and two touchdowns in the victory over the Cowboys, during
    which Bradshaw was benched for the first half.

After restructuring his contract before last season, Jacobs will have to take
    another hefty pay cut, especially since the Giants are about $9 million over the
    salary cap, per ESPN's
    latest projections
    . At this point, the team might simply let Jacobs walk
    instead of trying to hack his salary down to a number he'll likely resist.

Still, Jacobs isn't about to concede before such talks occur.

"If they don’t want me back then that’s another story in itself, then nothing
    has to be done. But I got a feeling that they do," Jacobs said during today's
    interview on SiriusXM. "So, you know, things get worked out. I definitely plan
    on being Big Blue for the 2012 season.”

As did Shaun O'Hara and Rich Seubert last season. They found out the hard way
    sometimes the team has other plans. Perhaps that will soon be the case with
    Jacobs.

If he is cut, don't dismiss all of the rumblings he'll wind up having a much
    friendlier chat with Rex Ryan than their
    on-field meeting on Christmas Eve
    . Word is Jacobs doesn't want to leave the
    area and, much as he told Ryan to "shut up," he admires his style.

As I said with the Umenyiora situation, there could be some developments on
    the Jacobs front this weekend at the NFL Scouting Combine. So as always, stay
    tuned.

7:49 p.m. UPDATE Originally, I wrote Jacobs had a cap number of $4.9
    million. The cap number is actually higher because the prorated portion of his
    bonus carried over. What I meant to convey is how it reads above: Jacobs is owed
    $4.9 million and that figure will have to be lowered. If the team cuts him,
    they'll save only the $4.9 million. The prorated bonus would be considered
    "dead" money."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: GIANTS' BRANDON JACOBS: "I FULLY EXPECT...TO BE BACK NEXT SEASON"

hmmm... Ask Jacobs if he would take a base salary that is equal to his signing bonus ("dead' money) this season or his base salary divided by 2, which is just a bit more?

Lmao if Jacobs plays for Rex...

[quote user="NYGRealityCheck"]hmmm... Ask Jacobs if he would take a base salary that is equal to his signing bonus ("dead' money) this season or his base salary divided by 2, which is just a bit more?

Lmao if Jacobs plays for Rex...[/quote]

He wants to play for the GIANTS and is willing to restructure again. Why not just wait for the organization and his agent to figure out how?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="NYGRealityCheck"]hmmm... Ask Jacobs if he would take a base salary that is equal to his signing bonus ("dead' money) this season or his base salary divided by 2, which is just a bit more?

He wants to play for the GIANTS and is willing to restructure again.* Why not just wait for the organization and his agent to figure out how?
    [/quote]

Of course, no one here can accurately predict the figures or what the front office will eventually do. Was just offering some scenarios.

The article was clearly hinting about the Jets and I just made a Lmao comment.

[quote user="NYGRealityCheck"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="NYGRealityCheck"]hmmm... Ask Jacobs if he would take a base salary that is equal to his signing bonus ("dead' money) this season or his base salary divided by 2, which is just a bit more?

He wants to play for the GIANTS and is willing to restructure again. Why not just wait for the organization and his agent to figure out how?
    [/quote]

Of course, no one here can accurately predict the figures or what the front office will eventually do. Was just offering some scenarios.

The article was clearly hinting about the Jets and I just made a Lmao comment. [/quote]

Just seeing the word jets makes me queasy I guess [+o(]

# 80

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="NYGRealityCheck"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="NYGRealityCheck"]hmmm... Ask Jacobs if he would take a base salary that is equal to his signing bonus ("dead' money) this season or his base salary divided by 2, which is just a bit more?

He wants to play for the GIANTS and is willing to restructure again.* Why not just wait for the organization and his agent to figure out how?
    [/quote]

The article was clearly hinting about the Jets and I just made a Lmao comment. [/quote]

Just seeing the word jets makes me queasy I guess [+o(]
    [/quote]

Could you imagine Jacobs arguing with Sanchez like with the WRs if things don't go his way?

Jacobs: Sanchez, you're not giving me enough carries! Sanchez, you pass like the ball like a wet noodle!...
    Locker room issues for crying Rex all over again.

[quote user="NYGRealityCheck"]hmmm... Ask Jacobs if he would take a base salary that is equal to his signing bonus ("dead' money) this season or his base salary divided by 2, which is just a bit more? Lmao if Jacobs plays for Rex...[/quote]

Jacobs wont play for 500K. He can do much better somewhere else. He would rather be cut I would imagine. His base divided by 2 is 2.1 million. How is that just a bit more than 500K???

Am I missing something???

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

[quote user="GameTime"]

[quote user="NYGRealityCheck"]hmmm... Ask Jacobs if he would take a base salary that is equal to his signing bonus ("dead' money) this season or his base salary divided by 2, which is just a bit more? Lmao if Jacobs plays for Rex...[/quote]

Jacobs wont play for 500K. He can do much better somewhere else. He would rather be cut I would imagine. His base divided by 2 is 2.1 million. How is that just a bit more than 500K???

[/quote]

His signing bonus is is $1,962,500. The $500K is just a roster bonus.

I'm telling ya this is a good website.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-...randon-jacobs/

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="NYGRealityCheck"]hmmm... Ask Jacobs if he would take a base salary that is equal to his signing bonus ("dead' money) this season or his base salary divided by 2, which is just a bit more?

[/quote]
    +1. I'm not willing to give up on BJ just yet. I think the running game problems stem from the o-line. But he's going to need to take some sort of cut.

[quote user="NYGRealityCheck"][quote user="GameTime"]

[/quote] His signing bonus is is $1,962,500. The $500K is just a roster bonus. I'm telling ya this is a good website. [/quote]

thats where I got confused. The signing bonus vs the roster bonus....

thnx...

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch